Topic: Dyna connection issues -- Duck and Ducks Kid  (Read 799 times)

Offline ShadowLord

• Lt.
Dyna connection issues -- Duck and Ducks Kid
« on: August 22, 2005, 10:00:26 am »
Ok now that AOTK is over maybe somebody can help to fix the following.

My kid and I can now both get onto dyna and fly separate missions at the same time. However we cannot fly in the same mission and that’s what I am trying to fix. Current connection is as follows.

Two separate IP’s via Rogers Cable
Cable Modem – to Hub. My system connected to Hub.  D-link 604 router is then connected to another port in the Hub. Connected to the Dlink router are my son’s computer and wife’s  (which I put into the DMZ ).

So everybody can connect and everybody can play – however matt and I cannot seem to connect in the same mission. We can run separate missions in the same hex.

Ideas for the fix please?? Is it going to be as simple as getting a switch ? or ??

Ideas and comments welcome especially from those who have overcome this issue.

Thanks ShadowLord

Offline Julin Eurthyr

• Veltrassi Ambassador at Large
  • Lt. Commander
  • Back in Exile due to Win 7 - ISC RM/Strat Com.
Re: Dyna connection issues -- Duck and Ducks Kid
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 10:39:50 am »
Let me see if I'm getting this straight:

You on your own IP, connecting to modem via hub.

Son and wife share IP, shared IP owned by router, going through hub to modem.

First off, who's computer is on the DMZ, son's or wife's?

Theoretically, if he's on the DMZ, you should have no issues at all.  However, if she's on the DMZ, I'm surprised he can even connect at all...

AKA: Koloth Kinshaya - Lord of the House Kinshaya in the Klingon Empire
S'Leth - Romulan Admiral
Some anonymous strongman in Prime Industries

Offline ShadowLord

• Lt.
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 10:57:45 am »
Hi,
Your assumption is correct, my son's computer is in the DMZ -- as mentioned we can both play online at the same  time but were unable to draft each other or have a 3rd party draft us both -- one of us would make it and the other just revent back to the map.
He was able to fly other multi player games with other wings agaisnt human opposition.
His system basics..
Running win 98 SE
P3 700
32MB Nivida Vid Card
392 Ram

Duck

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 12:15:17 pm »
Try port forwarding to a static lan IP instead of using the DMZ?

Offline Dfly

• Lt. Commander
  • Lyran Alliance Lives
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 07:06:15 pm »
I believe the simplest solution, and under 70$ is to buy a switch and hook it us following this suggestion.
PS: I use a DLink switch. 

with cable, hook cable to the exterior modem(provided you have an exterior modem like I do).
hook modem to switch in slot 1.
hook next computer(yours) to slot 2.
hook next computer( wife or son) to slot 3.
hook last computer(son or wife) to second computer(wife or son).

This will give the computer in slot 1 and slot 2 separate IPs, while hooking computer 2 and 3 together.  It means that computer 2 and 3 cannot play in same hex on dyna, but with that being your wife's (FAT ASS? joking) and son's computer, that will never be an issue, unless you get her to play dyna too, and that will happen about as much as me having my wife join in.

You may have to reboot modem, and then switch, to get it to set right, but that takes only about 30 seconds each compared to hours of playtime.  I know of many other players who had problems on GSA when using a hub, even with 2 IP.  It seems a hub is not smart enough to control 2 or more systems separately.

If any spelling mistakes get through, blame it on the rhum tonight.

Email me at isme_isityou@yahoo.com if any more questions, as I had that same problem a year ago, and now my son and I can play at same time, not that he does play Dyna.