Topic: Graphic Novels and other things Comic  (Read 4415 times)

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
Graphic Novels and other things Comic
« on: August 11, 2005, 02:53:26 pm »
Just read Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns.  Loved 'em both, but I'm still on a graphic novel kick.  Anyone got any recommendations or just wanna talk about their favorites?
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
Re: Graphic Novels and other things Comic
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 04:00:18 pm »
Ah, The Dark Knight was something my brothers got me to read many years after I gave up comics because they knew I'd love it.

But before that, there were the series of Batman comics drawn by Neal Adams, inked by Dick Giordano, and stories by Denny O'Neil and they were truly among the highest quality of comics.  The same team also did Green Lantern/Green Arrow and was, probably, even better than their Batman.

Of course, there was Jack Kirby upon his arrival at DC launching The New Gods, Mister Miracle, The Forever People, and believe it or not, the "fourth" of this "trilogy" was Jimmy Olsen, Superman's Pal, all tied into the cosmic struggle between New Genesis and Apokolips, ruled by Darkseid.  Truly monumental books.

Marvel had something similar though my brothers and I thought it was more a knockoff, after Jim Starlin took over Captain Marvel (Mar-Vell of the Kree Empire), which, while more New Agey, was still a cosmic struggle, between Mar-Vell and his thin band of allies versus Thanos, the mad Titan and his hordes.

Oh, to me those were the REAL golden days of comics; again, truly monumental comic entertainment.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 06:39:34 am »
I'll post more each day. Always happy to meet a Comic fan.

stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 12:52:18 pm »
Ah, The Dark Knight was something my brothers got me to read many years after I gave up comics because they knew I'd love it.

Parts of it gave me chills.  Namely the first few pages, when Batman is taking over again.  The sequence where Bruce is fliipping through channels and nearing all the bad news really hit me, and I laughed out loud at the first lightning strike (you know what I mean). ;D

The same team also did Green Lantern/Green Arrow and was, probably, even better than their Batman.

I've heard a lot about that pairing, and how good the work done on it was.  Do you know if they ever put an anthology together?
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 03:36:30 pm »

Parts of it gave me chills.  Namely the first few pages, when Batman is taking over again.  The sequence where Bruce is fliipping through channels and nearing all the bad news really hit me, and I laughed out loud at the first lightning strike (you know what I mean). ;D

The same team also did Green Lantern/Green Arrow and was, probably, even better than their Batman.

I've heard a lot about that pairing, and how good the work done on it was.  Do you know if they ever put an anthology together?

Yeah, that one box where the lightning struck against the backdrop of a stormy sky and ominously dark gray city.  I am from New York; it looked all to familiar to me... to me, it was a bit spooky!  Personally, I recall going through feeling like that old Bruce Wayne did.  Big cities... they CAN be oppressive...

... as for GL/GA, as far as I have heard, there hasn't yet been an anthology.  But, if I hear anything I will, or if you hear anything, let the world know!

Offline Commander Maxillius

• You did NOT just shoot that green sh-t at me?!?
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2005, 12:12:39 am »
do webcomics count?  My favorite is Megatokyo

http://www.megatokyo.com
I was never here, you were never here, this conversation never took place, and you most certainly did not see me.

Offline Darth Sidious

• Lt.
  • One Winged Angel
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2005, 07:17:29 am »
My daily comic regimen  (well roughly daily, some are 3/2x week updates)

Links not added due to being at work.

Real Life
Megatokyo
Sinfest
8-Bit Theatre

Have a couple others i was attempting to get caught up on and havent gotten around to it due to moving.

Offline Hexx

• Sexy Shoeless Lyran God Of War
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2005, 01:25:17 pm »
Hmm off the top of my head
-There was a Doctor Doom/Starneg book, can't remember what it was called.
I'm one of the few (I think) who didn't like Dark Knight returns -loved the stroy but the art put me off
for some reason.
Actually (and perhaps embarrisngly) the one series I can always go back and read is the first 25 issues (or so)
of the Doom 2099 books.
Days of Future Past is always amusing.
V for Vendetta is one I liked (haven't reas it in a very long time though)
Batman:Year One is another I think I enjoyed.
Courageously Protesting "Lyran Pelt Day"

Ravok

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2005, 01:38:30 pm »
Just read Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns.  Loved 'em both, but I'm still on a graphic novel kick.  Anyone got any recommendations or just wanna talk about their favorites?

The Marvel DC crossovers are fun for a change.

And to be honest I love just about all of them. Another Japaneese Import Im glad that took hold here. :)
They have been doing them for ages.

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2005, 08:26:53 pm »
Black Widow: Homecoming by Richard Morgan turned out to be pretty cool.  He overdoes the anti-men thing a bit, but then the character as he sees her is pretty much down on everyone else to, so at least it's consistent.

Great scene involving a grenade, too.

"Phil Dexter says hi."

Offline S'Raek

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2005, 08:48:00 am »
It's a bit different than those already listed but I really enjoy the Blade of the Immortal TPBs.

Veritas vos Liberabit -- Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
  • If I took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy.
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2005, 06:17:07 pm »
Actually (and perhaps embarrisngly) the one series I can always go back and read is the first 25 issues (or so)
of the Doom 2099 books.

I really liked the early Doom 2099 books as well.  (That was the only 2099 book I liked.)  It started really well.  For some reason, it took a nasty turn downhill toward the end of its run.

-S'Cipio
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."  - James Madison (chief author of the Constitution)

-----------------------------------------
Gorn Dragon Alliance member
Gorn Dragon Templar
Coulda' used a little more cowbell
-----------------------------------------

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2005, 10:29:24 pm »
You know, these comics are serials, and when those pioneering creative spirits run out of good ideas, oh, boy, does their work stink!

Jack Kirby was creatively, prolifically superb in his prime with Marvel, toward the end with DC and then just petered out in even his good titles until either DC ousted him or he left and formed his own company, with a mag on some starship captain that can die and switch himself into a clone body or something like that... wow, it was awful.  After that, I think he kind of just creatively vanished.

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2005, 11:11:33 pm »
Marvel, with their tighter continuity and such, especially has that problem.  I think one of the reasons Batman is so popular is that there's been all sorts of re-imaginings and one-shot stories and such with the only real constant being 'a guy in a bat suit fighting crime'.

Marvel's been branching out into some of that, lately.  I know they did a series of TPBs that was sort of an 'X-Men from the beginning if it'd been done now' kind of thing, and Marvel 1602 by Neil Gaiman, with all our favorite Marvel heros in Elizabethan Europe, was pretty damn awesome.

Hehe.  'Sir Nicolas Fury'.

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2005, 12:26:01 am »
"Sir Francis Drake"

"Sir Oliver North"

Hehehe