Topic: Serenity Rocks..  (Read 6623 times)

Offline The_Joker

• Lt.
Re: Serenity Rocks..
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2005, 09:43:31 pm »
I'd say that it was meant as a possible end.  Much like the season 5 ending of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.  For those who don't know, they killed the title character because the fate of the show was up in the air at the time.  They brought her back from the dead when UPN picked the show up for a sixth season. 

Also, on BtVS, Buffy's mother, Tara, and Jenny Calendar were also killed off, permament-like.  Angel lost both Doyle and more importantly, Cordelia to death.

What I really meant to say is that Joss has a history of killing off major players in his series, and in the grand scheme of things he only did in two of an ensemble cast of eight.  I'd say lack of plot-line is more of a reason for the end of "Firefly" than lack of cast members.  On the other hand, there are a few loose ends out there (i.e. The Blue Sun Corporation or Saffron) which could possibly present some stories to be told.
"Look at him now, poor fellow. That's what a dose of reality does for you... Never touch the stuff myself, you understand. Find it gets in the way of the hallucinations."

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2005, 11:56:31 pm »
Is the Blue Sun Corp. really a loose end, though?  They weren't really mentioned by name anywhere in the series, were they?  I've watched it a million times, but I guess I could have missed it somewhere, but Joss mentioned it a bunch on how it was going integrate, and they did have ads and stuff in the background for Bluesun, but did they ever really tie it into anything at all before the series ended?

They do have Saffron to deal with, and that very rare/valuable laser pistol that they need to find a buyer for, though.  I've wondered if maybe Early might have a recall button on his uniform that would call his ship to him or something.  Some way to escape floating out in space.  You'd think someone who has a habit of entering ships in that manner might have something, in the event that he gets knocked off the hull.  I suppose it's possible that there was a teather there at one point, and River had released it.  Still, he was too cool to not show up ever again. ;)

I think the biggest bummer of all after the series ended was not finding out about Books background.  I could live without seeing the Cap and Inara together and finding out why she was hanging out in the outskirts (afterall, most romantic duos die on TV after they get together, after seasons of all that sexual tension.  All the sparks are gone.)  I could live without finding out the secrets that River has (as it turns out I don't have to.  But maybe she's got more?).  But for some reason I really wanted to know about Book.  That's not to say that I wouldn't like to find out those other things, in addition to Books past. ;) 

Offline The_Joker

• Lt.
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2005, 12:23:56 am »
I'm with you, EE.  I really REALLY want to know what the good shepard did before turning to God.  You are also correct that Early needs to have survived, somehow.  Both myself and Mrs. Joker think Early is the scariest of all of Whedon's villians, including Reavers and all the various big bads on Angel and Buffy.  The scene where he asks Kaylee if she's ever been raped sends chills down my spine every time I see it.
"Look at him now, poor fellow. That's what a dose of reality does for you... Never touch the stuff myself, you understand. Find it gets in the way of the hallucinations."

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2005, 02:03:00 am »
I have a suspicion Book may have been an Assassin from a few hints in the film.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2005, 05:54:59 pm »
Yeah, but I want DETAILS! lol.

I totally agree with ya' Joker.  Early is so much scarier than any big gross creature that someone could slap together (which is kind of what the Reavers are).  The same goes for the Hands of blue guys, but Early has them beat I think.  The hard part is that he's kind of likable, too.  There is humour to him, and a child like fascination with the world, and yet he is not only capable, but very willing to do unspeakable things to people on a whim.  The scene with Kalee really stands out as one of the most memorable scenes from the series.  And it didn't even air, if I remember correctly.  Gaaagh!  FOX must be punished!  :cuss:

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
  • If I took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy.
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2005, 06:52:23 pm »
Yeah, but I want DETAILS! lol.

I totally agree with ya' Joker.  Early is so much scarier than any big gross creature that someone could slap together (which is kind of what the Reavers are).  The same goes for the Hands of blue guys, but Early has them beat I think.  The hard part is that he's kind of likable, too.  There is humour to him, and a child like fascination with the world, and yet he is not only capable, but very willing to do unspeakable things to people on a whim.  The scene with Kalee really stands out as one of the most memorable scenes from the series.  And it didn't even air, if I remember correctly.  Gaaagh!  FOX must be punished!  :cuss:

It aired on Sci Fi just this past Friday.  It's only the third TV episode I've seen, and was very good.

By the way, I think Early is screwed.    "Well, here I am....."

-S'Cipio
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."  - James Madison (chief author of the Constitution)

-----------------------------------------
Gorn Dragon Alliance member
Gorn Dragon Templar
Coulda' used a little more cowbell
-----------------------------------------

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2005, 07:04:48 pm »
I'm glad it finally got aired (I believe it was one of the three that didn't air when it was on the FOX schedule, anyway).  It's truly one of the best of the bunch.

Offline The_Joker

• Lt.
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2005, 10:18:02 pm »
No doubt. 

"Objects in Space", "Out of Gas", and "Our Mrs. Reynolds" are my favorite episodes. 

BTW, for those who are interested, the official release date for Serenity to DVD is December 20.

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2005, 09:55:37 am »
That's cuttin' it pretty close to Christmas, but at least it'll be out before then, so people can put it on their wishlists.