Topic: New missions for AOTK2 bug report thread  (Read 19187 times)

Offline SkyFlyer

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
Re: New missions for AOTK2 bug report thread
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2005, 10:46:06 pm »
I didn't expect a klink ally when we are not alligned, but then what do I know about the inner workings of the game?

Well from the Klingons view of things, you are a friendlier race than the Lyrans are... So hes going to attack the more hostile race.
Life is short... running makes it seem longer.

"A god who let us prove his existence would be an idol" - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2005, 10:53:43 pm »
I didn't expect a klink ally when we are not alligned, but then what do I know about the inner workings of the game?

Well from the Klingons view of things, you are a friendlier race than the Lyrans are... So hes going to attack the more hostile race.

Not friendlier, just less of a threat  ;)

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2005, 12:08:35 am »
I just completed TG enemy patrol B where it was a 2v2 in Mirak hex 35,22. My AI wingmate was a mirak NCF! Talk about high tension. Also, near the end of the mission, my video got jumpy and the audio was full of scratches and clicks.
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2005, 12:46:28 am »
Tracey, I'd advise going against using all very large maps. This benefits some races and screws others. I'd like you to consider using primarily medium to large with the exception being few very large maps, plz.

Offline Riskyllama

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt.
  • Risky
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2005, 01:52:24 am »
one bug i noticed on the warp in, was that a couple of times, i noticed mirak AIs vessels with fighters dropping them at the edge of the sector, about 50 or more clicks behind where the really cool ride comes to an end.

I also noticed (not sure who's map or which version it was) that fleet repair docks seem to be firing weapons off into nothing or at wacky ranges, like plasma at about a hundred from the nearest enemy...I dont know what you can do about that, I just thought you might like to know.
Everything is sweetened by risk. ~Alexander Smith

Offline FPF-SCM_TraceyG_XC

• Empress of the Empire
  • Commander
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2005, 03:33:44 am »
Thanks for all the feedback people, keep it coming  :)
Captain FPF-TraceyG, Federation Protection Fleet

SFC2.net Admin member
SFC3.net Admin member
Voting member of the DGA
Member of XenoCorp, Squadron Commodore

• Empress of the Empire
  • Commander
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2005, 10:55:34 am »
Missions have been recompiled and are about to be swapped out on the test server (DH will post a link soon). An issue with the missions not reporting back results hopefully has been corrected, plus the strength of the AI has been adjusted. The degree of variance is till the same, however, a limit has been placed on how much bigger the AI enemy ships can be compared with your own (the AI should not now be more than one hull class bigger than your own ship, although if the mission has difficulty finding a ship that matches, it may still on occasion but hopefully only very rarely, make something else.)

SFC2.net Admin member
SFC3.net Admin member
Voting member of the DGA

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2005, 11:11:15 am »
 :thumbsup:
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2005, 01:13:04 pm »
What about your missions all using very large maps? Are you going to change that?

Offline Green

• I'm not a
  • Commander
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2005, 02:13:06 pm »
i noticed mirak AIs vessels with fighters dropping them at the edge of the sector, about 50 or more clicks behind where the really cool ride comes to an end.

Man, that's a good catch ... at least explains why the NCV AI I had w/ me was so slow to get fighters in on the match.

• Empress of the Empire
  • Commander
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2005, 02:51:59 pm »
What about your missions all using very large maps? Are you going to change that?

Thats not a bug, its a feature. What do you have against large maps?

SFC2.net Admin member
SFC3.net Admin member
Voting member of the DGA

• Empress of the Empire
  • Commander
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2005, 02:53:25 pm »
i noticed mirak AIs vessels with fighters dropping them at the edge of the sector, about 50 or more clicks behind where the really cool ride comes to an end.

Man, that's a good catch ... at least explains why the NCV AI I had w/ me was so slow to get fighters in on the match.

Will try to fix this for the next recompile  :)

SFC2.net Admin member
SFC3.net Admin member
Voting member of the DGA

Offline Riskyllama

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt.
  • Risky
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2005, 12:34:46 am »
I dont know if it was just my luck but it seems like alls I getting paired against was romulan maulers..I saw maybe 30 or so of them over 35 missions
Everything is sweetened by risk. ~Alexander Smith

Offline Braxton_RIP

• Lt. Commander
    • Dynaverse.net
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2005, 02:19:50 am »

Its even worse if it is a PF Tender  :-\
Braxton,
Old Geezer

Typical Fleet:
F-DNL, F-CB, F-CLC
Braxton's Fleet:
F-CVTCR, F-BTR, F-BTL+

Offline C-Los

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2005, 05:01:25 am »
After 3 hrs this morning...all seems fine to me as far as missions are concerned !!

Job Well Done !!

;D       ;)       ;D
C-Los, Commanding Officer U.S.S. Scorpion

"Life is short, have fun and enjoy !"

• Empress of the Empire
  • Commander
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2005, 05:38:27 am »
Thankyou C-Los  :-*

SFC2.net Admin member
SFC3.net Admin member
Voting member of the DGA

• Empress of the Empire
  • Commander
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2005, 10:32:47 am »
The new map is now on the server. Please try out some of the new terrain types, they are easy to recognise on the map.

SFC2.net Admin member
SFC3.net Admin member
Voting member of the DGA

Offline RFA-Wraith

• Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • What are you looking at?
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2005, 06:52:29 pm »
After 3 hrs this morning...all seems fine to me as far as missions are concerned !!

Job Well Done !!

;D       ;)       ;D

Of course, shes an Aussie!!

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2005, 07:46:11 am »
Tracey, I saw some one of your asteroid maps. Had a rock spaced here or there very far apart. Refreshing to see some space between the usual clutter. But they arnt all like that, are they?

The Very Large Maps issue... Some races are better at short-range than others and need smaller maps to catch opponents and vice versa. The way you have it now favors one side and not the other. There is much more to be said in favor of having a variety of map sizes, but I've stated the most important reason.

• Empress of the Empire
  • Commander
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2005, 09:01:12 am »
The Asteroid map in question is Asteroids1. There are 6 different asteroid maps, Asteroids 1 through 6. Generally speaking, the higher the number, the more difficult the terrain, so Asteroids1 is fairly easy and light on asteroids. If you want a challenge, try Asteroids6 or Nebula6. For the most part, this is also the first time I've seen these maps as well in game, and I've already found a few of them that could be improved. If you have any map ideas, by all means make suggestions. We have 27 different terrain types to play with.

Regarding large maps... space is big... very big in fact. The larger the map the more realistic it is. I appreciate your argument about some players having developed tactics particularly suited to small maps, but by your own argument then, some races are also disadvantaged by small maps as much as large maps, as you have claimed. This being the case then it doesnt really matter what size map it is, someone somewhere won't be happy.

In practice though, SFB used both a 'floating' map and a 'fixed' map. When using a floating map, at the end of each turn, all the ships would be moved back to the centre of the board, thus making a limitless sized map. The fixed map meant if you reached the edge, you could disengage. Tactics developed for small maps are not the only tactics available however. Boxing people into a corner was not something you did in SFB. Larger maps require that you use your weapons as they were intended, plasma ballet, sabre dancing etc. Use of terrain is also a critical feature, we have more than just rocks to contend with. Small map tactics can be adapted to larger maps quite easily (especially if there are ion storms around). I am sure a player of your calibre will have no trouble with this.

The only real disadvantage I can see to large maps, is that if you do have to fly off the map for some reason, it can take awhile to get there. Overall, however, large maps are better, more realistic, and reflect the fact that space is very big and where practically possible the game should try simulate the laws of physics. I thank you for your concerns over large map size, but try to give them a go, you might like them.  :)

SFC2.net Admin member
SFC3.net Admin member
Voting member of the DGA