Topic: New missions for AOTK2 bug report thread  (Read 19197 times)

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
Re: New missions for AOTK2 bug report thread
« Reply #80 on: July 19, 2005, 12:59:05 am »

I blaimed you for that, he;s quoting me

So you are spreading lies to peeps about me behind my back?

Offline Capt_Bearslayer_XC

• "Sorry I haven't been around much lately. I'm easily distracted by shiney things."
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Captain
  • Virtute non verbis
« Reply #81 on: July 19, 2005, 06:38:10 am »
When your main tactic is to go spd 31 in your Romulan DNH forcing the enemy DN's to disengage b/c they have to stay at high spd to avoid a plasma enema, I suppose that having a large map is harmful to your strategy too, eh?

Valid tactic. There are many others. You cant tell me that 'Corner Trapping' inst a tactic as well. I wont be minding VLM's this server, I'm flying for the cats.

Too bad you failed to mention how the large maps will negate it in at least a small way....

Political Correctness is really Political Censorship

A tax code should exist to procure the funds necessary for the operation of government, not to manipulate human or business behavior.

A nocens dies in loricatus est melior quam a bonus dies procul opus.

A bad peace is even worse than war."  --  Tacitus

"We thought we could resolve the system's problems by rationing services or injecting massive amounts of new money into it" -Claude Castonguay

Offline Julin Eurthyr

• Veltrassi Ambassador at Large
  • Lt. Commander
  • Back in Exile due to Win 7 - ISC RM/Strat Com.
« Reply #82 on: July 19, 2005, 07:19:11 am »
Tracey:

You cited SFB's "Floating maps", along with the traditional vastness of space, as the rationales for your map sizes.

However, the original map sizes were determined to balance 2 factors, the above vs. the fact that, theoretically, a captain can "disengage" at will by accelerating to high speeds, or by increasing the separation to such a point that they can't track each other anymore.

While your maps enhance the need to run for the "disengagement by losing tracking" method, there is no means to "readily" disengage by acceleration (short of a long stay at combat speeds).

IIRC, one of SFB's floating map balances was the fact that, after spending 1 turn at your maximum attainable speed, you can elect to disengage instantly.

AKA: Koloth Kinshaya - Lord of the House Kinshaya in the Klingon Empire
S'Leth - Romulan Admiral
Some anonymous strongman in Prime Industries

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #83 on: July 19, 2005, 07:47:27 am »
The map issue has been resolved. For the most part, all server admins I know of have agreed with Tracey's recent scripting ideas. For AOTK2, we have Very Large Maps. Like it, live it, love it.

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #84 on: July 19, 2005, 07:50:15 am »
When your main tactic is to go spd 31 in your Romulan DNH forcing the enemy DN's to disengage b/c they have to stay at high spd to avoid a plasma enema, I suppose that having a large map is harmful to your strategy too, eh?

Valid tactic. There are many others. You cant tell me that 'Corner Trapping' inst a tactic as well. I wont be minding VLM's this server, I'm flying for the cats.

Too bad you failed to mention how the large maps will negate it in at least a small way....

Not in so many words, no, but corner trapping will no longer be much of an option for the time being. The fact of the matter is that a variety of maps is what is most suitable for everyone because tactics change from one map size to the next, and that is indisputable.

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #85 on: July 19, 2005, 07:53:18 am »
I have to say I prefer a variety from mission to mission, but it isn't a make or break point with me, just a preference.

• "Sorry I haven't been around much lately. I'm easily distracted by shiney things."
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Captain
  • Virtute non verbis
« Reply #86 on: July 19, 2005, 07:54:25 am »

Not in so many words, no, but corner trapping will no longer be much of an option for the time being. The fact of the matter is that a variety of maps is what is most suitable for everyone because tactics change from one map size to the next, and that is indisputable.

Yet, you only ask for your small maps.  No mention of variety until now... ::)

A tax code should exist to procure the funds necessary for the operation of government, not to manipulate human or business behavior.

"We thought we could resolve the system's problems by rationing services or injecting massive amounts of new money into it" -Claude Castonguay

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #87 on: July 19, 2005, 08:10:50 am »

Yet, you only ask for your small maps.  No mention of variety until now... ::)

Actually Bear in all fairness.....

In his first post Dizzy said this:

Tracey, I'd advise going against using all very large maps. This benefits some races and screws others. I'd like you to consider using primarily medium to large with the exception being few very large maps, plz.

And on page 2 Dizzy posted this:

The Very Large Maps issue... Some races are better at short-range than others and need smaller maps to catch opponents and vice versa. The way you have it now favors one side and not the other. There is much more to be said in favor of having a variety of map sizes, but I've stated the most important reason.

So he has always propossed a variety.

• XenoCorp® Member
  • Captain
  • Virtute non verbis
« Reply #88 on: July 19, 2005, 08:15:36 am »
Bastard!!! ;D

Apologizes to you, Dizzy.

el-Karnak

« Reply #89 on: July 19, 2005, 08:46:56 am »
As for why I hollered at Dizzy, he was the one who drove Tracey away last time. Frankly, I'd rather have Tracey around. She's smart, funny, arguably the best coder we have around, and I'd put real money on her lookin' a damn sight better better than Dizzy and Karnak. :D

Actually, she's the only coder you have left.  The rest have burnt out or gotten bored or just had it with the constant sniping that goes on around here. Sometimes, I get the impression that it's absolutely impossible to have any meaningful debate in this community without internet tribalism rearing.   As long as everyone sticks to the facts the better teh debate will be. You can ditch the pin-up posters and the teddie yadda, yaddas though if you want to debate anything and be taken seriously.

Quote from: DarthFly
Since everyone seems to have a view on what Karnak said, here is my 1.3 Canadian cents.  I beleive he was just stating that he cant gripe or complain since he actually did not do the missions or maps(and wont be), so he will fly what is there when he flies.  This is what I got out  of his words.
Merci pour votre sagacious perceptions.  In case anyone is interested to know IF NOT STOP READING!!:  I know exactly what I want out of a dyna missions pack.  In the past, I was fortunate enough to create the mission scripts that I like which bends towards SFB realism.  I've never concerned myself with what the Admins liked. After all, they don't pay very well and they can be quite insufferably annoying and overly domineering sometimes. :P  If I see what I like then I'll play, but I am not inclined to make any new missions or fix any existing issues. So, I've said what I have to say about the AoTK missions and let the chips fall the way they may.

Quote from: DH

::)  Oh well, +karma for being candid, I guess..... :P
« Last Edit: July 19, 2005, 09:00:38 am by el-Karnak »

el-Karnak

« Reply #90 on: July 19, 2005, 09:03:05 am »

If yer corner trapped, it means it's time to warp-out anyway.  Don't run away so much next time... :P  Making a larger map just prolongs the chase. 

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #91 on: July 19, 2005, 09:04:52 am »

I call things as I see them
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

el-Karnak

« Reply #92 on: July 19, 2005, 09:06:35 am »

Next time, pour yourself a big glass of STFU, count to 10, talk a walk,  and see if you are right first.  Also, don't ever post when yer mad.  I'm sure everyone knows that it's actually is a good principle to apply at work with emails too; so, try it here.  I think it actually works sometimes. :P

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #93 on: July 19, 2005, 09:33:40 am »

Next time, pour yourself a big glass of STFU, count to 10, talk a walk,  and see if you are right first.  Also, don't ever post when yer mad.  I'm sure everyone knows that it's actually is a good principle to apply at work with emails too; so, try it here.  I think it actually works sometimes. :P

Put is I never post when mad, I'd never post . . .
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline Matsukasi

• Professional Race Whore
  • Lt.
« Reply #94 on: July 19, 2005, 09:37:05 am »
Put is I never post when mad, I'd never post . . .

He said ' mad ' , not ' horny ' you dork.  ;D
www.lp.org
Yep, I got some common sense finally!

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #95 on: July 19, 2005, 09:39:05 am »
I know nothing, I hear nothing, I see nothing!  :mischief:

http://www.webundies.com/ea71b652.htm   ;D

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #96 on: July 19, 2005, 09:49:07 am »
A BONK Sighting! Call the Press!

Offline Mr.Bad151

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #97 on: July 19, 2005, 10:52:02 am »
The logic of space being huge, justifying large maps, is flawed in SFC.  While 3D space is indeed huge, SFC uses a fixed 2D space.  The difference between the 2 becomes exponentially (infinitely) larger as you increase the size of "space".  In a fixed 2D space there might be times when the area you have to defend/attack is rather small, IE the sensor gap between 2 starbases, a gap in an asteroid field.  While such places might be rare, they would exist in 2D space where they wouldn't in 3D space.

I agree, the majority of maps should be large/very large, but there should be some smaller maps as well.  Be careful about using real life to justify something with artificial rules.  While it's not a huge deal to me, even tho I am a Gorn player, if people are against small maps because of "real life" examples of space.. perhaps they need to rethink it.
"As the radius of my knowledge increases, so does the circumference of my ignorance"

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #98 on: July 19, 2005, 11:09:10 am »
Well said.

Offline CaptJosh

• Lt.
« Reply #99 on: July 19, 2005, 11:16:01 am »
A thought. Any map with an object that has a noticeable gravity well should probably be larger than empty maps.  Gravity wells require extra distance from the object in order to be able to engage warp drive. Maps with Black Holes would of necessity be huge, nebula maps would tend to be large just due to needing to get clear to warp out. Maps with stars would need to be somewhat large, though not as big as a black hole map. Planet maps where the star is away some some direction off the main combat area. Asteroid maps could vary depending on density of the rocks, and empty space maps could be smaller just because there's no immediate gravity well to attain sufficient distance from to warp out.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.