Topic: Help for a newcomer please.  (Read 2269 times)

Offline Geeman

• Ensign
Help for a newcomer please.
« on: June 05, 2005, 06:59:04 pm »
Hi there,

My brother and I both bought SFC3 and want to play an multiplayer campaign thru our LAN.

For some reason we can't both be on Dynaverse cause we are running on the same IP.  (Linksys router)

I'm wondering if the Dynaverse 3 kit allows us to play together without connecting to anything outside our LAN.  Or if there is a way for us to play without installing gamespy.

I've been reading the readme's but am pretty lost.  If any experts out there can help us out or point us to a tutorial that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Offline GFLNimitz

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: Help for a newcomer please.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 07:17:38 am »
You might try a multi player skirmish. One of you hits the Host button to set up the room and the other puts in the proper IP. If you network uses internal IPs to Id each of the machines in your network it might work. I hjave been pondering try to do this with my son's pc so I will be interested to know if it works.

Offline Geeman

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 09:56:36 am »
Yea...

Skirmishes work fine cause you can play those tcp/ip or lan.

But with regards to actual campaigns games, thats a whole different story.  Can only have so much fun killing AI ships, without a goal lol.

Thanks though,
Any other suggestions please  :)

Offline GFLNimitz

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 11:54:29 am »
Well you would not be able to do a campaign I am afraid but I do have FleetPick which allows you the ability to load any and all ships into a battle. With this script you can be a base. You can set up scenarios and have some fun that way. If you install the GFL LaW mod you can hve loads of fun working together tryingto kill bases, They are darn hard as is the ai.

Offline GFLNemico

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005, 08:28:19 pm »
Hello,

The easiest way for you and your brother to be able to play on a dynaverse together would be to trade in you router and get a 5 port switch (hub).  Ask your ISP how many Ip's they'll give you for what you are paying a month.  Usually it's 3.  Plug the main internet into the hub get some cat 5 cables and connect your other 2 computers to it and away you go.  You'll both be able to play cause you'll have separate Ip addy's.  You'll also have to set up a couple new e-mail accounts. 

The only advantage to a router is the additional protection it provides via firewall's etc........unfortunately this is also it's downfall.  A hub is less secure than a router, but you can always beef up your system adequately enough on your own. 

At least this is what my wife and have done and we've never had any trouble. :) (and yes she plays SFC3 with me! LOL :)

Respects,

Nemico
Galactic Foreign Legion