Topic: need some help  (Read 1316 times)

Offline deadmansix

• Lt.
need some help
« on: June 04, 2005, 05:30:33 am »

OK, after my 98se bit the dust agian decided to wipe the hd and install windows XP now after I installed that (did not install service pack 2) installed SFCop patched it installed op4.0 and then the mirror mirror installer to get back into the server, now after all that pain all I get is a firewall message. so thinking that somthing went bad uninstalled SFCop re-downloaded everything and guess what fire wall message, anybody have any clues,fixes, work arounds, anything to get it working agian please.

DM6

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
  • "The Terminator" Pestalence_XC, Xenocorp
Re: need some help
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2005, 06:20:30 am »

OK, after my 98se bit the dust agian decided to wipe the hd and install windows XP now after I installed that (did not install service pack 2) installed SFCop patched it installed op4.0 and then the mirror mirror installer to get back into the server, now after all that pain all I get is a firewall message. so thinking that somthing went bad uninstalled SFCop re-downloaded everything and guess what fire wall message, anybody have any clues,fixes, work arounds, anything to get it working agian please.

DM6

OK.. First, update your XP to latest version by getting XPSP 2 located here :

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

The most important things in XPSP 2 is DirectX 9.0c and the new Windows Firewall it installs so you can correctly disable it. The old one in XPSP 1 is so bugged that it does not disable correctly without tinkering for a while with it.

DO NOT USE WINDOWS UPDATE VERSION OF XPSP2.. it is bugged, use the IT install listed above, it is the full package.

When you restart your system, tell XP to not use Windows firewall and tell XP to not use Automatic Updates (interferes with gaming).

Next go to Start button -> Run and typr in SERVICES.MSC and click OK.. scroll down in the window until you find Universal Plug and Play and right click and select Properties, set the dropdown box to Disable, click OK..

Scroll down to Windows Firewall/ICS and do the same thing you did in Universal Plug and Play.

Clost this window out.. Next go to Start button, click run and type in MSCONFIG and click OK

go into Start-up tab and remove everything that is absolutely not necessary for your system to operate correctly (Uncheck everything you can), but most specifically any mouse software like Logitech.

Restart system, then go to Windows Update at the following address (do not use the Windows Update listed in your Start menu)

http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en

After getting the latest Windows Update software installed, do a CUSTOM scan and get all available updates for XP that is listed.

Finally, get all latest drivers for your system including Motherboard chipset drivers, vid card drivers, CD/DVD Rom Firmware, Sound Card drivers, etc..

Now your system should be about 60% set up, but in good enough condition to play SFC OP without much problem..

I can give you more steps to get full speed for broadband and 1.2 sec page loading times in IE, and help you configure services correctly to increase system performance and reduce ammount of mem that XP uses on startup.. and how to secure IE correctly to eliminate Spyware from getting onyour system.. but that will take a while and would require voice comms..
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Xenocorp / Dynaverse.net Moderator & Beta Test Team
SFC 4 Project QA Coordinator
Taldren Beta Test Team
14 Degrees East Beta Test Team
Activision Visioneers SFC 3 Beta Test Team

Offline Dfly

• Lt. Commander
  • Lyran Alliance Lives
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2005, 12:56:14 pm »
There is another possiblity, which I have with my setup I am running.

Whenever I install and run for the first time a new game that plays online, I need to put a hole in the firewall for outside access to that game. When the game is launched, say on Gamespy for instance, there will be a window that opens after the game starts, but it will be on the desktop only.  I just go to desktop, and there is a window open asking me if I want to "unblock" this game for the firewall.  I click yes, close the current game that is up, and the next time the game is run, there is never a firewall block on it.   Perhaps you have it working that way on yours, so maybe check it out.

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
  • "The Terminator" Pestalence_XC, Xenocorp
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2005, 01:30:04 pm »
Windows Firewall is broken.. the problem with Windows Firewall is when allowing a game to have access to the net through a port.. Windows does not close the port when not playing..

as such, the firewall would have an open hole.

Same goes for the ports that Internet Explorer (or other browser) uses and explorer.exe and NTKernel and any other software requiring access to the net... these items leave your ports open even when not using them.. as such, Windows Firewall is broken.. (can you say almost 160 open ports or more reguardless of firewall)

If using a 3rd party firewall, then great, but remember that Windows firewall will break 3rd party firewalls and prevent the person from doing anything easily online.. 2 working firewalls will fight each other... one will be blocking the ports you want open.. when you open the port in the one blocking, the first will see an intrusion attempt and close the prot.

Finally, Service Pack 1 is known for a lot of XP problems (860 bugs are fixed in XPSP 2) and Microsoft is ending support for XPSP 1 and is currently only issuing Critical updates for XPSP 1 for the next year, additional support for hotfixes that are not listed as critical will not be issued to XPSP 1.. XPSP 1 support completely ends Sept 17, 2006.

However if you intend to run XPSP 1 on your system, I would recommend upgrading your DirectX to 9.0c in order to prevent problems with Direct Play.. Different versions of DirectX are not compatible for online play, as stated by microsoft DirectX FAQ.

I was just trying to help you get a system secure and up to date.. and on a broadband connection, it only takes about 2 hours.
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Xenocorp / Dynaverse.net Moderator & Beta Test Team
SFC 4 Project QA Coordinator
Taldren Beta Test Team
14 Degrees East Beta Test Team
Activision Visioneers SFC 3 Beta Test Team

Offline deadmansix

• Lt.
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2005, 02:01:31 pm »

god I hate windows, but I did get 9.0c  ;D

Offline deadmansix

• Lt.
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2005, 05:01:24 am »

$%&!@#$!@#$&^%$&^*(@!@#$!@#$%^&@!@$@#$^%^%$# AAAARRRRGGGGG!!!!!!!!!

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

I realy hate windows

Offline KBF-Kurok

• Lt.
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2005, 11:28:07 am »
did you change the wonnet txt?I think the atachment might be what you need.

Offline deadmansix

• Lt.
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2005, 07:26:03 am »

thanks Kurok, tryed re-typing and puting in yours no luck dont know what is going on probably somthing very simpel as it always is ( I realy hate windows)

Offline KBF-Kurok

• Lt.
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2005, 02:18:53 pm »
OK NOW DO YOU  HAVE YOUR XP FIRE WALL OFF ack caps. Everyone makes a big deal out of it now  that it sorta works but I think it is on by deafaul when you install xp.