Topic: A neutral third party may be needed to determine LOS.  (Read 2698 times)

Offline FPF-Paladin

• 'Thou shalt not CAD.' - DH
  • Lt.
A neutral third party may be needed to determine LOS.
« on: May 26, 2005, 01:10:34 pm »
First I should congratulate the Federation side for regrouping and managing to score a blow to our side.

However,

I refuse to acknowledge or answer questions about what lies behind our borders any longer.  I will listen to concerns, check to make sure rules are being followed, etc.

NO MORE using me to confirm there are things for you to deep strike.  No more Mr nice RM.  No more using me against my own team.

I volunteer to send daily (or more as needed) screenshots to confirm to a neutral party that LOS rules are being followed, or someone can log in themselves if that's better.  I haven't asked a single question of any base placement or operation the Federation has made, thinking the honor system would be enough unless given reason to think otherwise.

A lot of pilots worked hard and sacrificed much to put up those bases that were deep striked yesterday.  Normally I would say Nicely done and move on, it's quite an accomplishment; except I feel as if I am at least partially to blame for this.  And I won't let it happen again - next time physically fly in and find out for yourselves where the bases are.

Nothing personal to anyone, but This is Non-negotiable and not up for further discussion.
~Life cannot find reasons to sustain it, cannot be a source of decent mutual regard, unless each of us resolves to breathe such qualities into it. ~

Offline FPF-Jem

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Junior Grade
Re: A neutral third party may be needed to determine LOS.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 01:21:55 pm »
Umm, I was half the Deepstriking force and we just traced the line backward after encountering the first base in the blackhole hex. In fact we didn't always guess right and had to do some scouting around.

As far as I know it had nothing to do with any info provided by any one on the Imperial side.

P.S. The real problem is that you have to have a base every other hex, this makes it trivial to figure out the general vicinity of bases as there are only so many possibilities. For the future I would suggest allowing LOS to have a base every three hexs which would at least require the attackers to guess a little more, especially if you don't line up your bases in a predictable manner
« Last Edit: May 26, 2005, 01:42:29 pm by FPF-Jem »
Capt. Jem

Offline GDA-Agave

• That's MR. Planet Battering Ram to you buddy!!
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt.
  • Fear my tequila breath!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 01:49:00 pm »
First I should congratulate the Federation side for regrouping and managing to score a blow to our side.

However,

I refuse to acknowledge or answer questions about what lies behind our borders any longer.  I will listen to concerns, check to make sure rules are being followed, etc.

NO MORE using me to confirm there are things for you to deep strike.  No more Mr nice RM.  No more using me against my own team.

I volunteer to send daily (or more as needed) screenshots to confirm to a neutral party that LOS rules are being followed, or someone can log in themselves if that's better.  I haven't asked a single question of any base placement or operation the Federation has made, thinking the honor system would be enough unless given reason to think otherwise.

A lot of pilots worked hard and sacrificed much to put up those bases that were deep striked yesterday.  Normally I would say Nicely done and move on, it's quite an accomplishment; except I feel as if I am at least partially to blame for this.  And I won't let it happen again - next time physically fly in and find out for yourselves where the bases are.

Nothing personal to anyone, but This is Non-negotiable and not up for further discussion.

:goodpost:

One of the few, the proud, THE GORN!!
Gorn Dragon Alliance - Protecting Ghdar and the Bruce Way!

Gorn Dragon Templar
"Protecting the roads to Brucedom for all travelers of faith"

Offline KBFLordKrueg

• Commander
  • KBF CO
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 02:16:07 pm »
IMHPO...now that it seems that both sides are firmly aware of the LOS rules regarding base placement, I'm sure the RMs and ARMs for each side monitoring the legality of bases placed will be good enough. They can be responsible for "fixing" any illegaly placed bases. Sound good...?
And I can assure you there was no post regarding where bases might be, OP orders to take them out, or anything similiar to that.
Chutt and Jem operated on their own initative without prior planning to do anything of the sort.
But, you have to admit, from a tatical point of view, it was a good move.  ;)
*Pins commendations on Chutt and Jem*

Blame Hex for the requirements for Base placement LOS and destroyable bases... :P
Lord Krueg
KBF CO
We are the Dead

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 02:35:53 pm »

Blame Hex for the requirements for Base placement LOS and destroyable bases... :P

There is a lesson to be learned here, blame Hexx  ;D
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline Barack Beard

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005, 02:58:49 pm »
No info from Anti-Paladin was used nor needed, as JEM said it was rather elementary to find them given the rules.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2005, 03:07:35 pm »
No info from Anti-Paladin was used nor needed, as JEM said it was rather elementary to find them given the rules.

Yet more reason to blame Hexx!!!!!

Offline FPF-Paladin

• Lt.
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2005, 05:36:08 pm »

Yet more reason to blame Hexx!!!!!

Look, I know I wrote all that too fast and said some things differently than I might have otherwise.  But I meant what I said about feeling like I was used in some fashion(at least at the time).  If it really had nothing to do with anything I confirmed, okay... I'll take your word that this is so.  You don't know how crappy I felt when I thought I"d cost the Terrans more pp in lost bases in one day than I usually make an entire server.

*sigh*  I'm sorry about that last part at least.  I'm really not into saying things like 'not up for discussion', hard to believe I'd let those roll off my fingers however fast I was writing).

I will say this much though - I don't understand why there are server messages telling everyone (all races) when anyone places a base on a destructable base server, unless it was an idea on how to give nutters something to spend all their pp on.

Maybe if someone explained this detail to me I'd feel a little better about it?
~Life cannot find reasons to sustain it, cannot be a source of decent mutual regard, unless each of us resolves to breathe such qualities into it. ~

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2005, 05:41:25 pm »
I don't understand why there are server messages telling everyone (all races) when anyone places a base on a destructable base server, unless it was an idea on how to give nutters something to spend all their pp on.

Because I don't think I can turn that off unless I turn off the news completely.

Offline FPF-Paladin

• Lt.
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2005, 05:44:03 pm »
I don't understand why there are server messages telling everyone (all races) when anyone places a base on a destructable base server, unless it was an idea on how to give nutters something to spend all their pp on.

Because I don't think I can turn that off unless I turn off the news completely.

Wait, do you mean that's the way it always is?

???

Offline KBFLordKrueg

• Commander
  • KBF CO
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2005, 05:46:54 pm »
Yeah, it has always reported base placement... ;)
Lord Krueg
KBF CO
We are the Dead

Offline Julin Eurthyr

• Veltrassi Ambassador at Large
  • Lt. Commander
  • Back in Exile due to Win 7 - ISC RM/Strat Com.
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2005, 06:49:30 pm »
The news has always reported (in that "bad japanese translation english") that race x has been placed a base in sector x,y

The destructable base thing was an option added to the serverkit after one too many "base escalaton" wars, where we'd wind up with 20 bases in 15 hexes... :rolleyes:

The thing is, nobody bothered to link the 2 together.  The news screen works the same as it always did, and the base destruction switch works like it was designed to...

Gotta love quick-fixes, eh?

(By the way, I was starting to think that a base-showing webmap would be necessary the way these base issues keep cropping up.  Give the addy to either just the RMs, or a third party, for the purpose of monitoring the base situations...

AKA: Koloth Kinshaya - Lord of the House Kinshaya in the Klingon Empire
S'Leth - Romulan Admiral
Some anonymous strongman in Prime Industries

Offline Barack Beard

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2005, 06:59:44 pm »
Let me re-itterate Anti-Paladin, you actions gave us no aid whatsoever in locating and destroying your bases.  You are totally blameless.  I been doing the deepstike for a long time and had an excellent wingman on both my raids, and although the news can be helpful it isn't even really needed by a good deepstrike team, it just saves a couple of exploratory missions and a bit of time.  I've done 128 deepstrike missions without resupply before with live opponents on the server, it just takes practice and patience, and a good wingman.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2005, 08:30:50 pm »

Have you tried deleting the appropriate text from the strings file?

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2005, 09:30:52 am »

Not yet  ;D

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2005, 09:53:51 am »

Not yet  ;D

I looked in there after I posted assuming that all informational text is in there. I didn't see any news items listed in there. In fact, I can't find them in any file. I suppose it could be hardcoded and unchangeable.

Offline FPF-Paladin

• Lt.
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2005, 09:55:15 am »
*still feels like an idiot for not noticing this all this time*  :P

Offline Capt Jeff

• 1AF
  • Lt.
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2005, 02:12:53 pm »

Not yet  ;D

I looked in there after I posted assuming that all informational text is in there. I didn't see any news items listed in there. In fact, I can't find them in any file. I suppose it could be hardcoded and unchangeable.

If it's not in the strings file, then it's in the aaStrings file, and that.....is a bummer, but not impossible to mod....
Capt Jeff

Former SFC2.NET Administrator
C.O., Heavy Command Cruiser
USS Crasher NCC 1733

1AF---Friendship, Honor, Fun.  It's what we Play For.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2005, 04:11:49 pm »

Not yet  ;D

If it's not in the strings file, then it's in the aaStrings file, and that.....is a bummer, but not impossible to mod....

neither of these files exist in the server kit.

Why not just turn off the news?

Offline Julin Eurthyr

• Veltrassi Ambassador at Large
  • Lt. Commander
  • Back in Exile due to Win 7 - ISC RM/Strat Com.
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2005, 08:41:01 am »
*still feels like an idiot for not noticing this all this time*  :P

Don't.

Nobody, not the administration, remaining playerbase, or myself even thought of this problem till it happened.

And to be saddled with a problem like this on your first shot as RM is, interesting to say the least...  Reminds me of the fun I had on RT III...   :o

AKA: Koloth Kinshaya - Lord of the House Kinshaya in the Klingon Empire
S'Leth - Romulan Admiral
Some anonymous strongman in Prime Industries