Topic: Last episode is on now in US East  (Read 5418 times)

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
Re: Last episode is on now in US East
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2005, 08:57:08 pm »
Hmmm... interesting battle SFX ideas, Chris.  I would have thought the NX-01 and other ships of the quadrant might be sporting also a powerful laser, like the Borg cutting beam only less powerful, as I figured that most races' warships may not have "discovered" blending lasers with particles yet.

Anyhow, I missed the recent ep with the Orion slave girls on board.  I hope it will be re-aired soon.  I don't want ANY spoilers, but was it worth watching in your opinion?

Offline Chris Johnson

• I used to be a Captain a forum or two ago...
  • Lt.
  • Hai! Hai!
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2005, 12:06:06 pm »
I didn't watch it, but I heard it had less-than-stellar reviews.

My take on battles in Pre-TOS is to make things look very different from what we see in recent Trek: More primitive, something like you'd find in the Starfleet Museum with missiles and weak (or pulsed) laser cannons (or turrets).  One thing likeable in Trek battles is to see ships fighting up close which suits as eye-candy, but as I think about it, I figured realistically that combat would occur in vast ranges, such as thousands, perhaps millions of kilometers, rather than the up-close and personal ship-to-ship combat centuries ago, or even during World War II...

...And as I also state, Trek isn't about fighting and fighting, it isn't mindless TV.  We learn that when we see a story of morality unfold before us, something relating to today's issues, from religion to politics to the horrors of war, and so on and so fourth.  And what I also like about Trek is its optimistic view of the future, and that's what makes me stay connected to it.

"Oh, shut up!" -- Wil Wheaton to Wesley Crusher

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2005, 02:39:54 pm »
This is why I deeply wished they would have done a speech scene with Archer in the assembly hall in that last episode before they folded up the show.