Topic: Last episode is on now in US East  (Read 5417 times)

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
Last episode is on now in US East
« on: May 13, 2005, 08:02:34 pm »
As the message above states.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Re: Last episode is on now in US East
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 08:21:57 pm »
Also in Ontario.  I'm watching it.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Clark Kent

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 08:54:09 pm »
Same here, central.  Seems strange that star trek is being canelled.  It's been on tv non stop since almost as far back as I could remember.  I don't like the B&B crap, but still, enterprise made a huge turn around this last year.  I'm sorry it's gone in 15 minutes.
CK

But tell me, can you heal what father's done?
Or fix this hole in a mother's son?
Can you heal the broken worlds within?
Can you strip away so we may start again?
Tell me, can you heal what father's done?
Or cut this rope and let us run?
Just when all seems fine, and I'm pain free, you jab another pin,
Jab another pin in me
-Metallica

Offline Chris Johnson

• I used to be a Captain a forum or two ago...
  • Lt.
  • Hai! Hai!
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 09:04:30 pm »
And now it's finally gone.  Not the best ending to Trek, but I don't think it'll end that easily...

I don't think it truely ended, nor would die so easily.  I guess you can say it's finally handed down to us fans for now...

"Oh, shut up!" -- Wil Wheaton to Wesley Crusher

Offline Dash Jones

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005, 09:05:47 pm »
Well, She was right...it was despicable.

Worst writing I've seen for a while.

Definately worst writing of Season 4.

Spoilers...

Other items, Riker and Troi look too old, they should have put them on the Titan as married after the Nemesis.

Secondly, there was no surprise, no element of what was going to happen, the discussions between Riker and Trio said exactly what was going to happen next, and kind of destroyed the entire show.

The side quest had NOTHING really to do with the formation of the federation, it was like it was tacked on at the last moment.  In fact the episode before the finale had more to do with the federation formation than the final episode.

Who cares about what occurred with the Pegasus, they should have written about something with Riker that occurs AFTER Nemesis, or sometime later when his age would have fitted, and introduced at least something new that was more interesting to us.

Once again, the writing was terrible.

The only high point, seeing Riker and Deanna as well as the Enterprise D and Enterprise (original, not to be confused with the Akiraprise thingy)...other than that, the episode stunk.

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

Offline Villa64

• NCC-64E
  • Captain
  • Knuckle Dragger
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2005, 10:06:10 pm »
I find it very interesting that the theme of the final episode was loyalty.  Maybe it was a message to all of the supposed "loyal fans" out there, who have been hammering this show since before it aired.

Probably would have been more appropriate if Tripp had died after being stabbed in the back.

Villa
Engaging the precious snowflakes of the world.

Offline IndyShark

• Last Knight Standing of the late, great KNF, Member GDA
  • Lt. Commander
  • Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2005, 10:10:47 pm »
After some really good episodes, this one sucked. I see why Tpol hated it.  Trip committed suicide? Come on! The writers should be rehired so they can be fired. I see Braga's hand in this, not Manny Coto.

After "In a mirror Darkly" this was a great disappointment

Offline Clark Kent

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2005, 10:13:11 pm »
I find it very interesting that the theme of the final episode was loyalty.  Maybe it was a message to all of the supposed "loyal fans" out there, who have been hammering this show since before it aired.

Probably would have been more appropriate if Tripp had died after being stabbed in the back.

Villa

I doubt that was an intentional theme, especially since loyalty is a strong issue throughout the various series and movies.  The writers and producers may have felt betrayed, and this may have colored the production of the show.
Overall, it was good, however not much of an ender.  I agree with dash on one thing, though: it was painfully obvious how much frakes and sirtis had aged since the TNG episode with the pegasus.  They should have gone for something post nemesis, rather than an episode more than 10 years ago.
Hoshi was super hot, as usual.
I'LL MISS YOU HOSHI!!!! :'(
CK

But tell me, can you heal what father's done?
Or fix this hole in a mother's son?
Can you heal the broken worlds within?
Can you strip away so we may start again?
Tell me, can you heal what father's done?
Or cut this rope and let us run?
Just when all seems fine, and I'm pain free, you jab another pin,
Jab another pin in me
-Metallica

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2005, 12:08:10 am »
I'm not sure which the bigger tragedy: the fact that ENT was cancelled when it was, or that it's final episode had to be such a poor send-off for the show, let alone the entire Star Trek franchise, which is implied by the final montage.  From start to finish, this had to be one of the most poorly conceived episodes in franchise history, from the utter gutting of one of the highlight episodes of TNG's seventh year and the character assassination launched on Commander Riker, to the completely random death of Charles "Trip" Tucker, III, which makes Tasha Yar's death look sensible and full of meaning, to the blatant continuity violation at the end, this truely is Star Trek at its most creative bankrupt.  It wasn't until this episode wrapped up did I think that UPN was justified in cancelling the show.  Now, I'm glad it's over, if only so we don't have to endure such nonsense like this ever again.

"Chaos Theory, Part II" now available.

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2005, 09:43:38 am »
You and I often disagree, Rat Boy, but this time....I feel ya'.

Enterprise had so much potential.  Only in the fourth season (with some nice moments earlier on, but few and far between) did it really start to realize it...and then they end it that way.

It indeed sucked.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Villa64

• NCC-64E
  • Captain
  • Knuckle Dragger
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2005, 09:54:30 am »
Very interesting interview link in this thread:

http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163356096.0.html
Engaging the precious snowflakes of the world.

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2005, 10:58:29 am »
Interesting continuity tidbits, if there were any to find in this depressing episode:

* The opening camera pass of Ten Forward was actually a clip from the third season episode "Menage a Troi;" if you look closely, you can see a Ferengi and Captain Picard in the shot.

* The year that the Treaty of Algeron was signed in 2311, the same year as the Tomed Incident, thus canonizing the assumption that the two events were linked.

* The crew members of the Pegasus, whose files Riker was looking at, all were former members of the franchise's writing staff, such as Ron Moore.  Her crew complement is 80.

* The NX-01 is a museum ship in the 24th Century.

* Shran's wife mother of his child is the Aenar woman from the three-part episode invovling the Andorian, Tellarites, and Romulans.

* No mention of the Romulans are made in the holoprogram, indicating that it is possible that the Romulan War either occurred before the signing of the charter or after.

* There are two serious continuity errors in the episode: the charter being signed is said to "lead to" the Federation, but given that the event happened in 2161, it should be the creation of the Federation, unless things like the government, Starfleet, and other bureaucracy were slowly rolled out over the course of the year.  The second continuity breech is Riker's decision to tell Captain Picard about the cloaking device; in the original episode "The Pegasus," Riker only confessed after he and Pressman brought the cloak back and using it was the only way to get the Enterprise out of the asteroid they were trapped in.

* It's also implied that the "Space, the final frontier..." speech is derived from Archer's speech at the ceremony (No, I don't see that either, but that's what I read at Memory-Alpha).

* Majel Barrett Roddenberry is the only actress to appear or do voice-over work for every Star Trek series.  Jonathan Frakes is the only actor to physically be in episodes of all four spin-off series.

"Chaos Theory, Part II" now available.

Offline Kane

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2005, 12:06:52 pm »
my 2 cents.

It sucked.  :-\ 
"Don't try to be a great man ... just be a man. Let history make its own judgments."[/color][/size]

Offline IndyShark

• Last Knight Standing of the late, great KNF, Member GDA
  • Lt. Commander
  • Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2005, 04:38:07 pm »
my 2 cents.

It sucked.  :-\ 

You liked it a lot more than I did!

Offline Father Ted

• Starfleet Chaplain-Recalled to Active Duty
  • Lt. Commander
  • Next to Ted Williams in the freezer
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2005, 04:52:23 pm »
When I first heard that Riker and Troi were going to be watching this on the holodeck, my first thought was this was the "Dallas" dream season and "St. Elsewhere" finale where everything turned out to be a figment of somebody's imagination. While I was happy to see that they didn't go quite that stupid, it was a pretty disappointing sendoff for Archer and crew. And for those who say that Riker and Troi looked way too old for this to involve the Pegasus, Amen!

Jon Frakes has aged, but not nearly as much as Marina Sirtis, who looks like it's been 10 years since "Nemesis", not 3. And telegraphing everything that was about to happen, including Tripp's death, just ruined any sense of suspence the finale may have had. My guess is the writers had already been given their pink slips, and their work reflected it.

Captain: USS Majestik Moose NCC-1712

"Live as brave men; and if fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts." -Cicero
"Superman wears Jack Bauer jammies."-Anonymous
"Better to fight for something than live for nothing." -George S. Patton

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2005, 09:08:49 pm »
No...the reason was that the writers were Rick Berman and Brannon Braga.  I for one, did NOT watch it, I watched Terra Prime just this evening, and turned the TV off just before the ending credits, so I wouldn't even be tempted to watch that lame excuse for a franchise finale.  It doesn't bother me that Trip died, it doesn't bother me that Frakes and Sirtis were in it.  What bothered me, is that the episode was static, even though it supposedly takes place five to six years after Terra Prime, none of the characters had changed in anyway.  From what Ive read here, Trektoday, and elsewhere, the script was lousy, full of holes, and completely "illogical"  Since when does anyone in the 22nd century worry about the "speed limit"?  Honestly, at Warp five it would take a week and a half to get to Proxima Centauri, WTF would I want to go any slower?!  Wear and tear on the engines? Maybe, but if Ent is going to be decommisioned at the end of that trip, why does it matter if the engines are about to fall apart?

Terra Prime was a good finale for Enterprise, and thats where I leave it, in my book, and in the book of many others apparently, TATV never happened.

As much as I hate to say it, Star Trek does indeed need a rest, or at least, the executive producers do.  It's simply amazing what a turn-around the program made once Berman and Braga got out of the writing room and allowed for some fresh blood to do the work.  Maybe in a couple of years, they can bring Star Trek back, under capable hands.  I'd love to see a TMP-TNG bridge, although Takei is looking a little worse for wear these days, I don't think an Excelsior series would work.  I'd also be willing to watch a series set during TOS, although not on the Enterprise, I can't think of a single person who could capture Spock and McCoy the way Nemoy and Kelly did.  I do think that a series set in the 24th Century wouldn't work very well, they tried that with Voyager and Deep Space Nine, and while Deep Space Nine was a good series, the best days of Voyager were in the early seasons.  I never really forgave them for neutering the Borg.
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2005, 11:33:12 pm »
*Snif*

"... bittersweet... "

- Darkseid

Offline Dash Jones

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2005, 08:15:15 pm »
Yet another interesting portion of information.

I believe most of the Star Trek finale's starting with TNG were in the top 10 for the week they were broadcast.  Heck, even Voyager's finale I believe hit #3 or #4 if I remember correctly (though perhaps my memory is inaccurate, I think thats right).

Enterprise wasn't in the top 20.  Heck, if you include the cable ratings which are far down there, it didn't even make the top 10 list of cable shows, meaning it had less than 2.5 million viewers (compared to the 26 million + watching the top ten in normal broadcast shows).

-------

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2005, 10:45:32 pm »
Well, like some people here, like Villa64, have correctly said, too many of us- Trek fans- slammed the show.  Also, I am beginning to believe Scott Bakula's assertion that there aren't too many Trek fans in Paramount, as they never gave the show the advertising or hype that a corporation like theirs could.  Also, UPN, the station carrying Enterprise, didn't hype it like the stupid junk shows they've got on nowadays.

Aside from (literally) an out or an inning or two of baseball, I for one won't be watching much TV anymore, at least not until they put some Trek back.

Here's hoping for some kind of "bringback" for Enterprise, including Trip Tucker, after Berman's contract expires.  I am fairly confident there'll be another Trek show in the near future, but there is still so much potential for a show like Enterprise.

They barely scratched the conflicts the proto-Federation had with the early Romulans and Klingons.  Now THAT would be great stuff to base another two or three seasons off.  The Romulan War.  The endless skirmishes with the Klinks.  Gorns.  Tholians.  Orions.  Ah, dreams!

Offline Chris Johnson

• Lt.
  • Hai! Hai!
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2005, 10:32:48 am »
That would've been nice.  Although, if you ask me, it would've been better had they gone a more-interesting route with battles rather than the usual Phaser and Photon/Disruptor fight, and actually have some tech in their infancy whilst lacking others.  I also think it would've pulled off without having Klingons and Ferengi and Borg and other Post-Fed aliens or even time travel...  It would've also been good to highlight more of today's issues through Trek, in a more-correct way, like what the fan film Star Trek: Hidden Frontier has done.  But that's just me and how I think about continuity and the heart of Trek. 

Each time I watched Enterprise however, I pushed continuity (and some expectations) away for an hour's worth of an attempt of being entertained by Enterprise.  It worked at times, it didn't at others.  But despite one or two problems, it really had good potential.  It's too bad it won't renew for more seasons.  It would've worked out.

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2005, 08:57:08 pm »
Hmmm... interesting battle SFX ideas, Chris.  I would have thought the NX-01 and other ships of the quadrant might be sporting also a powerful laser, like the Borg cutting beam only less powerful, as I figured that most races' warships may not have "discovered" blending lasers with particles yet.

Anyhow, I missed the recent ep with the Orion slave girls on board.  I hope it will be re-aired soon.  I don't want ANY spoilers, but was it worth watching in your opinion?

Offline Chris Johnson

• Lt.
  • Hai! Hai!
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2005, 12:06:06 pm »
I didn't watch it, but I heard it had less-than-stellar reviews.

My take on battles in Pre-TOS is to make things look very different from what we see in recent Trek: More primitive, something like you'd find in the Starfleet Museum with missiles and weak (or pulsed) laser cannons (or turrets).  One thing likeable in Trek battles is to see ships fighting up close which suits as eye-candy, but as I think about it, I figured realistically that combat would occur in vast ranges, such as thousands, perhaps millions of kilometers, rather than the up-close and personal ship-to-ship combat centuries ago, or even during World War II...

...And as I also state, Trek isn't about fighting and fighting, it isn't mindless TV.  We learn that when we see a story of morality unfold before us, something relating to today's issues, from religion to politics to the horrors of war, and so on and so fourth.  And what I also like about Trek is its optimistic view of the future, and that's what makes me stay connected to it.

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2005, 02:39:54 pm »
This is why I deeply wished they would have done a speech scene with Archer in the assembly hall in that last episode before they folded up the show.