Topic: Snapshots from Canada  (Read 6596 times)

Offline KBF-Angel Slayer

• Lord High Master of Justice
  • Commander
Re: Snapshots from Canada
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2005, 11:26:43 am »
Well, it's like having two neighbors.  The one to the north constantly trying to improve, a good neighbor, even if we do have disputes, and the friendship remains strong, we even forgive the French heritage some of them have.
   To the south we have the people that are constantly stealing our lawnmower, and we really are tired of them.  We need to erect a fence, but one of the idiots in the house thinks we need to fence off both sides of the yard so we don't offend our southern neighbor.
   I'll take the northern neighbors.  At least they hibernate most of the year and leave our stuff alone, unless it is by mutual agreement.

well slayer....thx for the vote of confidence  :) but as for improving,makes it sound liek we r trying to catch upto something.Canada has been named ,i don't know how many times by the U.N., as the most desirable country to live in for the past 3 or 4 years,although i am not sure about this year to be honest.the hard part is staying on top.  :)

Didn't mean for you to take it that way.  Canada, when away from the French area, is nice.  What I meant was, predominately, you are, much like Americans, constantly trying to move ahead and make even more progress.  It was meant as an honest compliment. 
   As for the UN, who cares?  That could be either an insult or a compliment.

NPR is a lot like NASCAR.  Two hundred miles an hour in a circle, and you end up right back where you started with nothing but lost time for the effort.

Offline Father Ted

• Starfleet Chaplain-Recalled to Active Duty
  • Lt. Commander
  • Next to Ted Williams in the freezer
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2005, 02:16:29 pm »

Take off you hosers! We'll take Alberta, Manitoba, and Saskatchewan, and give you the left coast and Northeast in return!  :drink:

Captain: USS Majestik Moose NCC-1712

"Live as brave men; and if fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts." -Cicero
"Superman wears Jack Bauer jammies."-Anonymous
"Better to fight for something than live for nothing." -George S. Patton

Offline likkerpig

• Commander
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2005, 02:37:13 pm »
I like the way you think Padre, if those easterners vote in the crooks again you got yerself a deal!
But you have to extradite Celine Dion back to Quebec, us prarie folk won't have nuthin' to do with a country that has her in it!
"Atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby."

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2005, 03:07:56 pm »
An interesting comment I heard at work over the sponsorship scandal. "The only difference here is that the liberals got caught"....
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel

Offline likkerpig

• Commander
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2005, 03:18:34 pm »
An interesting comment I heard at work over the sponsorship scandal. "The only difference here is that the liberals got caught"....

Sounds to me like a statement made without any facts to back it up, and as an excuse for the corruption. Should we just sit back and let it continue... "Oh well, they are all corrupt, nothing to be done." or do we kick their ass out of power, and continue to do so every time this crap happens? Maybe one day end up with a government that third world dictatorships don't look up to in awe and jeleously for the audacity and brazeness of the corruption?

Offline Hexx

• Sexy Shoeless Lyran God Of War
  • Captain
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2005, 03:51:51 pm »
You have to admit the TV spot was priceless

"I know I was finance Minister and I know I should have known wher the money went but I didn't"
"Honest"
"Please don't kick me out"

They better rewrite the laws so there's a longer time before the statute of limitaitons runs out
Courageously Protesting "Lyran Pelt Day"

el-Karnak

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2005, 04:23:14 pm »

They better rewrite the laws so there's a longer time before the statute of limitaitons runs out

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Yeah, this stealing-of-taxpayer-money-for-party-purposes travesty cannot stand. Whether this corruption happens in US or Canada. I wanna see some people do some serious time in lockup w/ no chance of parole, no club med, and not any of that other Martha Stewart garbage.  :police:

Or, maybe since it's ROTS season, we can just send over Darth Vader to  clean up the whole mess. ;D

Offline Strafer

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2005, 04:59:21 pm »
...Or, maybe since it's ROTS season, we can just send over Darth Vader to  clean up the whole mess. ;D

"I find your lack of funds disturbing..." *Sith budget choke pinch*
--
Code: [Select]
Lineage II
Server                           Sieghardt                    deviantrealms.com (dead)
Chars       Strafer          L24 Rogue                  L64 Hawkeye
                StrayFar       L64 Tyrant                  L51 Tyrant
                StrawFur      L37 Scavenger            L49 Bounty Hunter
                StraightFour L62 Shillen Elder         L53 Shillen Elder

Offline Father Ted

• Starfleet Chaplain-Recalled to Active Duty
  • Lt. Commander
  • Next to Ted Williams in the freezer
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2005, 08:27:47 pm »
...Or, maybe since it's ROTS season, we can just send over Darth Vader to  clean up the whole mess. ;D

"I find your lack of funds disturbing..." *Sith budget choke pinch*

A couple of years ago, they had a special on Sci-Fi of homemade Star Wars films. The absolute funniest was the Darth Vader Psychic Hotline. The first couple of callers are praising him for helping them in life and whatnot. The last caller is complaining that he's bogus and full of it. As the caller rants, Vader does the pinch and says "I find your lack of faith disturbing" as you can hear the guy choking on the phone. Absolutely hillarious.

Captain: USS Majestik Moose NCC-1712

"Live as brave men; and if fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts." -Cicero
"Superman wears Jack Bauer jammies."-Anonymous
"Better to fight for something than live for nothing." -George S. Patton

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2005, 08:31:01 pm »
As the caller rants, Vader does the pinch and says "I find your lack of faith disturbing" as you can hear the guy choking on the phone. Absolutely hillarious.

I've always wanted that ability for use on telemarketers and persistant wrong number dialers.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2005, 10:51:08 pm »
I like the way you think Padre, if those easterners vote in the crooks again you got yerself a deal!
But you have to extradite Celine Dion back to Quebec, us prarie folk won't have nuthin' to do with a country that has her in it!

And send Leonard Cohen there as well, I don't want any reconfiguration that has him in my country of residence, but we will definately take Alex Lifeson, Geddy Lee and Neil Peart   :rwoot:

Offline likkerpig

• Commander
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2005, 11:41:06 am »

And send Leonard Cohen there as well, I don't want any reconfiguration that has him in my country of residence, but we will definately take Alex Lifeson, Geddy Lee and Neil Peart   :rwoot:

I thought Cohen was dead? He's a canuck?

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2005, 12:58:06 pm »
Leonard Norman Cohen was born in Montreal in 1934 (on September 21). His father, an engineer who owned a clothing concern, died when Leonard was nine. He went on to attend McGill University, where at 17, he formed a country-western trio called the Buckskin Boys.
He also began writing poetry and became part of the local boho- literary scene, a scene so "underground" that it was bereft of "subversive intentions because even that would be beneath it." "His first collection of poetry, Let Us Compare Mythologies, was published in 1956, while he was still an undergraduate. The Spice Box of Earth (1961), his second collection, catapulted Leonard Cohen to international recognition.

After a brief stint at Columbia University in New York, Leonard Cohen obtained a grant and was able to escape the confines of North America. He travelled throughout Europe and eventually settled on the Greek island of Hydra, where he shared his life with Marianne Jensen, and her son Axel.

Cohen stayed in Greece on and off for seven years. He wrote another collection of poetry, the controversial Flowers For Hitler (1964); and two highly acclaimed novels, The Favorite Game (1963), his portrait of the artist as a young Jew in Montreal, and Beautiful Losers (1966), described on its dust jacket as "a disagreeable religious epic of incomparable beauty." Upon its publication, the Boston Globe declared, "James loyce is not dead. He is living in Montreal under the name of Cohen." To date, each book has sold more than 800,000 copies worldwide.

But Cohen's restless spirit couldn't be contained even by warmth of Hydra. "For the writing of books, you have to be in one place," he told Musician magazine in 1988. "You tend to gather around you when you write a novel. You need a woman in your life. It's nice to have some kids around, 'cause there's always food. It's nice to have a place that's clean and orderly. I had those things and then I decided to be a songwriter."

Leaving behind his domestic scene, Cohen returned to America, intent on settling near Nashville and pursuing a musical career. was championed by Judy Collins, who recorded both "Suzanne" "Dress Rehearsal Rag" on her 1966 album, In My Life. In 1967, Cohen appeared at the Newport Folk Festival where he came to attention of legendary Columbia A&R man John Hammond (who also recruited Billie Holiday, Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen to the label). By Christmas, Columbia had released his first album, The Songs of Leonard Cohen.

It was a remarkable debut, as songs like i'Suzanne," "Hey That's No Way To Say Goodbye," "So Long, Marianne," and "Sisters of Mercy" propelled Cohen to the top of the pop-confessional pantheon. The songs had such power that Robert Altman's 1971 film, McCabe and Mrs. Miller became, in effect, the first long-form video for Cohen's soundtrack.

Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel

Offline SPQRDrall

• Ensign
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2005, 10:10:53 pm »

Having lived in both countries for many years, actually almost at my 10th year mark in the US, I would analytically say that both countries would be better off if US and Canada united, and Quebec either became another Louisiana, with appropriate state right's protections for language laws, or they went off on their own and suffered under the their crushing share of the Canadian debt coupled with the highest tax regime of any state/province in N. America  (ie. Au revoir and Good Luck!! ;D). 

I think the world woud be better off too cuz a more moderate electorate would prevail in combined US/Canadian politics. Not too far left (ie. generally the norm in Canada) and not too far right (ie. generally the norm in the US).

Plus, an united US/Canada would have the natural resources to compete with any other potential super-power (ie. a resurgent Russia, China, mb India one day). For example, no more oil problem if you got Canada in your pocket.

I also don't think this is a 420 post. If Quebec separates then it could come about relatively quickly.  This Canadian corruption scandal is really making the separtists popular in Quebec again.  Another Quebec separation vote this decade is not inconceivable.   In 1995, some panicking Canadian conservates and ever-resentful Newfoundland were making feelers to the US when the separtists cames within 50,000 votes of winning the Quebec separation referendum. If it went through, France was really tempted to give diplomatic recognition to Quebec and the Canadian gov't. was thinking about sending in the army ala US Civil War style union-ism.  Chaos was a-coming up north...btw, Canada does have an high-quality, if under-equipped, armed forces.  They know how to exert military power, if necessary.  Canada also logged more years in WWI and WW2 than the US, so it won't be hard to get that Nazi-busting groove back in a pinch, and with massive fiscal infusion that would be obviously provided by an alarmed federal gov't.  All former British Empire colonies have a tradition of victory that reaches back to the Napoleonic Wars (ie. don't mess with the Brits!!).

Anyway, I am more pragmatic about ranking Canada and US.  Both have big plusses depending at what life stage you are at.  Definitely, growing up and getting a cost-effective high quality education is better in Canada. Then when you have university-level education, the US is the place to make good $$$ and live well. Then when you retire, you can just pick your favorite place in US or Canada and retire there.  I called it the NAFTA thing which one day may become the united US/Canada (Quebec whatever :rolleyes:)  country thing.

Now that's a realistic RL  Federation to ponder, instead of a dreamy sci-fi one.  :o

There are so many things wrong in that post, but I guess I will let it go.  Suffice it to say that some Canadians can be as biggot as anyone else apparently.  The good news is that the poster left for the U.S. I guess   8)

As for the general discussion and the U.N rankings and such, it all depends on how you define quality of life.  Beyond income, things like crime rate, access to higher education, access to health care, access to culture and so on are important factors for these determinations.  Northern European countries, Canada and Australia rank well on these because these factors are present for a large part of the population.  The U.S. tend to have the best available at many level, but a large part of Americans do not have access to it.  It is not so in these other countries.  Personnally, my dad was a truck driver and he sent his 3 kids to University, owns a nice house, went through significant medical problems, but still retired at 50 and spends his winters in Europe (Spain, Portugal...).  On the other hand, when I sold my company a few years back, I sent a lot of $$ in taxes to the governemet, which I would have kept if I were in the U.S.  However, in the U.S. I would not have been educated in the first place.  It's all a question of perspective.

On a side note, one has to reflect that the liberal party scandal in Canada is actually for a behavior that is the standard accepted behavior in the U.S. political system.  (that does not change the fact that it is illegal in Canada and need to be punished here, however it illustrate a key difference between the countries)

I'll go back to lurking ;)

P.S. J'inn, the invitation is still open to visit Montreal.  And yes the thong/women ratio is the highest in the world  ;D

« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 10:37:53 pm by SPQRDrall »

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2005, 10:28:46 pm »

It was a remarkable debut, as songs like i'Suzanne," "Hey That's No Way To Say Goodbye," "So Long, Marianne," and "Sisters of Mercy" propelled Cohen to the top of the pop-confessional pantheon. 

I can understand why it is called "pop- confessional" , as he likely deserves a long pennance for those songs  ;)

Offline KAT J'inn

• CFO - Kzinti War Machine, Inc.
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2005, 09:39:51 am »

P.S. J'inn, the invitation is still open to visit Montreal.  And yes the thong/women ratio is the highest in the world  ;D

One day soon I hope. 

Catch me on MSN when you get a chance.

Offline Hexx

• Sexy Shoeless Lyran God Of War
  • Captain
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2005, 11:58:54 am »
Hmmm
J'inn in Montreal..
might have to take short plane trip to see that one..  ;D
Courageously Protesting "Lyran Pelt Day"

Offline Green

• I'm not a
  • Commander
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2005, 07:13:57 pm »
...take short plane...

That's one of the things I do like about you Hexx ... you DO get the joke :D (good on ya  :thumbsup:)

Offline TraumaTech

• DON'T PISS OFF THE KITTY
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt.
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2005, 05:08:22 pm »
here's a question......... what do you think of Frank Mckenna???personally,from what i have read in the news up here,i think he is doing a bang up job.mind you,that is purely a Canadian perspective.i like what he is doing because.......... he doesn't sound like the typical canadian appologist.he speaks his mind,but does it in the typically canadian way.

Offline likkerpig

• Commander
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2005, 10:59:38 pm »
Who the hell is Frank McKenna?