Topic: GW 5 Balance Issues  (Read 19464 times)

Offline TraumaTech

• DON'T PISS OFF THE KITTY
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt.
Re: GW 5 Balance Issues
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2005, 05:53:28 pm »
Personnelly, I ain't that worried about the numbers on GW5. I just don't care who wins the "campaign". I want a venue for PvP, unfortunately it has been difficult to find an even close PvP matchup the last couple of days given the numbers disparity.

perhaps if the map was cut to half of it's current size,dividing equally,the map between all races participating in whatever gw war number u r at(and increasing the hex value),so that players are more concentrated,thus increasing the chances for pvp games.also,is there anyways to have the map size vary from game to game instead of just the one size.it might add interest not knowing who ya face or on what map size you will fight at

re: changing map sizes,i mean 3 dif teams go into the same hex(one after another) but get 3 diferent map sizes and terrain,or is this to much coding involved....just an idea

Offline Green

• I'm not a
  • Commander
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2005, 05:58:52 pm »
SGO4 was decided on a PvP match that started before ENDEX and finished just after it.  I thought it was a damn close campaign.

Machts nichts, all campaigns have a numbers and nutters imbalance - without exception - its too much luck-of-the-draw to see something different.  Unless a draft is used, it will continue to be that way.

Let the server run its course J'inn, good-bad-ugly, the GW series has been a hoot.  Game on.

Offline RFA-Wraith

• Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • What are you looking at?
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2005, 06:27:51 pm »
Perhaps before a server the numbers of each side should be posted in order to show people any inbalance.

Personally if is see one side has twice as many numbers as the other I will join the underlizard, ah cat, dog, regardless of
race or personal preference.

Guarantees a little more PvP.  ;D

Having a ball so far anyway, thanks all.

Offline LordSaxon

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Honor before Fear.....
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2005, 06:54:25 pm »
Perhaps before a server the numbers of each side should be posted in order to show people any inbalance.

Personally if is see one side has twice as many numbers as the other I will join the underlizard, ah cat, dog, regardless of
race or personal preference.

Guarantees a little more PvP.  ;D

Having a ball so far anyway, thanks all.

This has been tried many a time, but the number of people signed up never equals that who show on the server. It still comes down to too many outer variables.

I think there are a few ways to increase the PvP action.
1. Smaller map w/ higher DV hexes.
2. Assign one Victory point for dying in a PvP battle, and Two to the victor.(possible adjustments for larger opponents)i.e. 0 points for frigs 3 points for Dreads.
3. Get the Damn AFK of peoples names working! That has really made it hard to match up PvP for me on this server. What happened to peoples names going dark?!?
4. Have 5 pilots per side/per week designated as "Aces" thet score 3 VP's per kill and give up 4 VP.Hope to see some "Duels Declared" posts.

Im sure other mods have been thought of just never tested.
 Thanks the server has been alot of fun, the few PvP I have been in were Very Intense; still trying that plasma ballet...

LordSaxon

Offline Kroma BaSyl

• Romulan Tart
  • Lt. Commander
  • Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2005, 07:03:59 pm »
SGO4 was decided on a PvP match that started before ENDEX and finished just after it.  I thought it was a damn close campaign.

Machts nichts, all campaigns have a numbers and nutters imbalance - without exception - its too much luck-of-the-draw to see something different.  Unless a draft is used, it will continue to be that way.

Let the server run its course J'inn, good-bad-ugly, the GW series has been a hoot.  Game on.

Actually that was GW4 not SGO4.
♥ ♥ ♥  GDA Kroma BaSyl  ♥ ♥ ♥
GCS Prima Ballerina
GCS PHAT Gorn
GCS Queen Kroma

Because this game makes me feel like  a thirteen year old girl trapped in a lizards body.

Offline KAT J'inn

• CFO - Kzinti War Machine, Inc.
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2005, 07:42:08 pm »
It is possible that it is due to the races involved with GW5. That was expected.  However, I thought it would effect the Roms.   I mean . .  not enough Feds!!  :o   Who would have thunk it.

This is more a long term problem than a problem for this server.   I don't intend to change anything.  Nor will I directly ask people to change sides.    Changing sides ruins the feeling of teamwork.  I dunno if I like that.  I'll leave it to the players.

However, the constant shrinking of the player base is something that cannot be ignored.   It's life.  This game is old and we won't get many new players.  Somehow, this needs to be addressed.

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2005, 07:49:01 pm »
I suppose that it's possible that it could be due to the races (a lot of folks really hate having the long battles that plasma boats have to have), but doesn't it happen like this a lot.  Seems like on GW4 the Alliance was majorly outnumbered and then BAM!  The alliance showed up in droves and the Coalition was in a major hurt, as there numbers had dwindled (probably because nobody was seeing any real action and left) when the others had gained.  Could happen again I suppose.

Offline IndyShark

• Last Knight Standing of the late, great KNF, Member GDA
  • Lt. Commander
  • Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2005, 07:52:52 pm »
It would help if the Feds got more specials. I have been flying a CLC, but drafting much larger ships. Now if you started handing out CLX's.......

Offline Evil Kraven

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2005, 08:01:55 pm »
well the damm fire wall message is preventing me from playing. tried all morning and no luck.

personally I think you all went to far with the specialty ship restrictions, although with the ability to transfer ships at will everyone should have a chance to fly something they like.

I loved all the GW series so far. its the only thing that made me reinstall the game.

the phrase "use a draft" makes me not want to play. a silly idea.

hey if allience numbers are hurting that bad for gw5, I'll put a dress on for that server. and anyone who knows me knows my disdain for feds. thats how much I like the GW series (wishes miraks were involved in gw 5).

besides at least I won't have to worry about Kroma sneaking up behind me with his massive photon torpedo in that one.

"The Evil One"
Kraven

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2005, 08:07:48 pm »

hey if allience numbers are hurting that bad for gw5, I'll put a dress on for that server. and anyone who knows me knows my disdain for feds. thats how much I like the GW series (wishes miraks were involved in gw 5).

"The Evil One"
Kraven

Don't bother, you are not wanted with that attitude,
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline Kroma BaSyl

• Romulan Tart
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2005, 08:20:32 pm »

"The Evil One"
Kraven

LOL...love watching the mood swings...weren't you just telling me and Krueg to keep it light?
GCS Prima Ballerina
GCS PHAT Gorn
GCS Queen Kroma

Because this game makes me feel like  a thirteen year old girl trapped in a lizards body.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2005, 08:40:24 pm »

LOL...love watching the mood swings...weren't you just telling me and Krueg to keep it light?

I'm allowed to cheat .  . .
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2005, 12:14:09 am »
 Maybe a more open, less-ruled server will get more people to try it out.

BINGO!!!  We have a winner

Offline Kroma BaSyl

• Romulan Tart
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2005, 07:08:28 am »

Unlikely, but I sure don't mind playing on that type of server either. I doubt there is any magic bullet to cure player decline other than GAW.
GCS Prima Ballerina
GCS PHAT Gorn
GCS Queen Kroma

Offline ShadowLord

• Lt.
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2005, 07:58:31 am »
Ok..
I really don't know to much about all the politics on dyna as KHH has only ever taken part in the GW series and really enjoys it.
From what I have seen so far there is a lack of players showing up for the alliance but is that going to change in the next few days ? Are those other players coming back?

If not then yes something  needs to be done ..

I would appreciate it if the two RM or even ARM could discuss this issue with a level head and come to some sort of agreement one way or the  other.

If they agree that the balance is out of wack ..

Then what about if the 4 khh players
KHH_Mrogue
KHH_MiniMe
KHH_EvilKraven
KHH_ShadowLord

switched and started to fly Gorn?

-Not trying to get flamed here for the offer, what I am trying to do is keep this GW fun and active for everyone involved..

Anyways there it is -- what do the RM and ARM think should be done..let us know.

ShadowLord

Offline benbean

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2005, 08:30:02 am »

This is surely the case for me over the past few servers. I didn’t play SGO4 because of the ship restrictions. I only came back to play GW5, because I’d like to finish what I started all those months ago and that the Romulans were the only race to play for the coalition.

I have given this some thought, IMO a better way to balance ship numbers would be to limit the numbers of X, Y, Z ships online at any given time. Instead of the current OoB, were it feels like I have to ask permission to fly a c or s Ship.

I understand that the guys involved in setting up the current OoB put in a lot of their time into setting this up and I do appreciate the effort, but for me personally, being told that I can’t fly this ship, or that ship, it’s not what I log into the D2 for.

ben.
ben.

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2005, 08:42:19 am »

I think there are a few ways to increase the PvP action.
1. Smaller map w/ higher DV hexes.
2. Assign one Victory point for dying in a PvP battle, and Two to the victor.(possible adjustments for larger opponents)i.e. 0 points for frigs 3 points for Dreads.
3. Get the Damn AFK of peoples names working! That has really made it hard to match up PvP for me on this server. What happened to peoples names going dark?!?
4. Have 5 pilots per side/per week designated as "Aces" thet score 3 VP's per kill and give up 4 VP.Hope to see some "Duels Declared" posts.

LordSaxon

These might all work but I don't think it will appeal to some of use who actually seek more strategic action rather than more PvP.  I've rarely had trouble finding PvP on a server when I wanted it, and although not always the best matchups, good fights happen frequently enough to keep me satisfied on that front.  What has me less interested in the GW series is the lack of strategic action.  The whole series is pretty much OOB dominated since GW1 (where only DNs were limited) and with a map featuring straight line borders and relatively uniform DVs, and other strategic constraints, creative strategy opions have dramatically shrunken to almost extinction.

I think I would like to see things like larger maps with lower DVs, Secret VCs, amorphous zones on the borders with varying Dvs, more opportunities to switch ships (within the same race) to suit the situation at hand.  I think such items would enhance the game for the "strategic player" while still allowing those who wanted PvP to find each other in the hot zones, just might require them to actually have to make an effort to find them by watching the news and watching the enemy, rather than heading to the same ld tried and true hex (or front) for the fifth straight day.  I also prefercampaigns without webmaps giving so much info, so that players are challanged to make more of their own observation in game.

Offline Father Ted

• Starfleet Chaplain-Recalled to Active Duty
  • Lt. Commander
  • Next to Ted Williams in the freezer
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2005, 08:44:50 am »
While I do like OoB, last minute changes before GW2 cost us the entire SSCF, when the LDR was practically castrated as a fighting force. Except for Paladin and maybe a couple of others, they all went to EVE and haven't come back. I don't really blame anybody for the change, as I find LDR ships way too cheesy, but to restrict them practically the night before the server really tee'd off a lot of good players.

Captain: USS Majestik Moose NCC-1712

"Live as brave men; and if fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts." -Cicero
"Superman wears Jack Bauer jammies."-Anonymous
"Better to fight for something than live for nothing." -George S. Patton

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2005, 08:51:38 am »
One idea for future server restricting ship usage (even if it just limits DNs and BBs) would be to allow a side that got pushed back to a certain point to be allowed to deploy extra heavy units.  I mean if the Romulans would be threatening Earth, wouldn't Starfleet begin pulling units from other fleets?  These ships would obviously have to be limited to operations within the threatened zones and removed once the threat was no longer present.

Now this would likely not affect the outcome of a server too greatly, but it would give the side being driven back encouragement to continue and also make the attacking side have a greater challange in taking those top strategic objectives.

I agree with Ted that no server changes should be made to the GW5 server since it has already begun, but propose this idea for consideration in future servers.

Offline Evil Kraven

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2005, 08:55:43 am »
thats Ok DH, don't go getting your .........

there I go agian, gosh darn it! you see its always a presentation thing with me. I mean to do something good for the game, but it always comes out the wrong way and I wind up getting under someones skin (sorry, did not mean to offend you).

so if you see someone on gw5 named "Kroma's Cabin Boy"........... I swear DH, its not me.

"The Evil One"
  Kraven