Topic: The movies and TV  (Read 5097 times)

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
Re: The movies and TV
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2005, 05:19:26 pm »
Female officers are addressed as "Maam".  Hrm... however, warrant officers are addressed as "Mister".  Not sure what you call a female WO, and I never met one while I was in the service. 

Anyone know the answer to that?

Most WO's that I know like to be called 'Cheif' in informal settings. Their being a speciallist in thier field makes them feel entitled to something unique, and that is being called 'Cheif.' makes  That being said, AS is right- they are 'M'am' just like a comissioned officer for formal address.

Just, whatever you do, DO NOT call a CW-1 "Spot"  They hate that.

I call 'em "Wobbly One's." ;D
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline Chris Johnson

• I used to be a Captain a forum or two ago...
  • Lt.
  • Hai! Hai!
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2005, 05:50:17 pm »
That's probably a better idea.  Maybe that's why Janeway preferred to be called 'Captain'.:)

"Despite Starfleet protocol, I don't like being addressed as 'sir'." -- Janeway

"Yes ma'am." -- Harry Kim  "Yes ma'am!" -- Tom Paris

And so on and so fourth with others... ;)

"Oh, shut up!" -- Wil Wheaton to Wesley Crusher

Offline KBF-Angel Slayer

• Lord High Master of Justice
  • Commander
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2005, 07:46:02 am »
You don't call a W.O. a Chief in the Navy, as that is a special title reserved for E-7's.   

NPR is a lot like NASCAR.  Two hundred miles an hour in a circle, and you end up right back where you started with nothing but lost time for the effort.

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2005, 09:21:13 am »
"Despite Starfleet protocol, I don't like being addressed as 'sir'." -- Janeway

"Yes ma'am." -- Harry Kim  "Yes ma'am!" -- Tom Paris

And so on and so fourth with others... ;)

"Despite Starfleet Protocal, I don't like being addressed as 'sir'."
"Yes si..erm, ma'am."
"Ma'am is acceptable in a crunch.  Mostly, I prefer 'Captain'."
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Chris Johnson

• I used to be a Captain a forum or two ago...
  • Lt.
  • Hai! Hai!
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2005, 11:30:06 am »
Compared to all the "Yes ma'am!"s I hear in most every other episode.  Forgive my lack of being able to watch Voyager though. :p

"Oh, shut up!" -- Wil Wheaton to Wesley Crusher

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2005, 11:47:03 am »
That was from the premiere, otherwise, I doubt I'd have heard it. ;D
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2005, 04:47:46 pm »
You don't call a W.O. a Chief in the Navy, as that is a special title reserved for E-7's.   

Yeah, the Navy is a little wierd anyway ;D. E-7's, -8's and -9's are 'Chief' in the Navy.

E-7 - Chief
E-8 - Senior Chief
E-9 - Master Chief
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2005, 04:53:00 pm »
(Slaps Forehead)  Doh!  I always thought those were Galley ranks in the navy...Chef.. Senior Chef.. Master Chef.. ::) (snicker.. that's like a triple pun right there)

Yeah, the Navy is a little wierd anyway ;D. E-7's, -8's and -9's are 'Chief' in the Navy.

E-7 - Chief
E-8 - Senior Chief
E-9 - Master Chief
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2005, 05:21:55 pm »
(Slaps Forehead)  Doh!  I always thought those were Galley ranks in the navy...Chef.. Senior Chef.. Master Chef.. ::) (snicker.. that's like a triple pun right there)

Does explain why they don't wear the funny hat, don't it?

Offline Laflin

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2005, 05:51:05 am »
You call a Warrant "Chief" in the Army if he or she is a CW2 or above.  A Warrant is formally addressed as "Mister" followed by name if male, "Mrs./Miss/Ms." followed by name if female - never heard the female version used yet in over 20 years service, but it is listed in AR 600-20.  Most of the time you skirt the issue by saying "Chief" or "Sir/Ma'am".  As for both genders being called "Sir" in the US military in the future, I wouldn't hold your breath.  I know quite a few Sergeants Major and First Sergeants that would have an apoplectic fit if it ever happened. ;)

Offline TheJudge

• Captain
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2005, 11:49:15 am »
Naval Warrant Officers are usually referred to by their specialty ranking.  We had a Gunnery Warrant Officer who always got called "Gunner".  Another engineering type was always referred to as "Engineer".  (Not to be confused with ChEng, the Chief Engineer of the ship).  There was another referred to as "Nav".  Since none of that was covered in boot camp (that I remember at least), I think it's a tradition that can vary from unit to unit. 
He who can master the data controls the world.

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2005, 12:19:11 pm »
You call a Warrant "Chief" in the Army if he or she is a CW2 or above.  A Warrant is formally addressed as "Mister" followed by name if male, "Mrs./Miss/Ms." followed by name if female - never heard the female version used yet in over 20 years service, but it is listed in AR 600-20.  Most of the time you skirt the issue by saying "Chief" or "Sir/Ma'am".  As for both genders being called "Sir" in the US military in the future, I wouldn't hold your breath.  I know quite a few Sergeants Major and First Sergeants that would have an apoplectic fit if it ever happened. ;)

I've seen a FEW (like 'count them on one hand' few) female warrents, they are all MP Investigators. We even called the WO-1 'Chief', just for simplicity's sake.

Naval Warrant Officers are usually referred to by their specialty ranking.  We had a Gunnery Warrant Officer who always got called "Gunner".  Another engineering type was always referred to as "Engineer".  (Not to be confused with ChEng, the Chief Engineer of the ship).  There was another referred to as "Nav".  Since none of that was covered in boot camp (that I remember at least), I think it's a tradition that can vary from unit to unit. 

Thanks, Judge. I have a Marine friend that talks about his friend that was a 'Gunner' and I never could figure out what fricking rank that he was.

Offline KBF-Angel Slayer

• Lord High Master of Justice
  • Commander
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2005, 12:34:43 pm »
Gunner is also slang for a gunner's mate, which is not a rank, but a rate.  So, that could be what he was talking about as well, Carney.

NPR is a lot like NASCAR.  Two hundred miles an hour in a circle, and you end up right back where you started with nothing but lost time for the effort.

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2005, 01:26:12 pm »
Gunner is also slang for a gunner's mate, which is not a rank, but a rate.  So, that could be what he was talking about as well, Carney.

I know that you can call a gunner's mate a gunner... but I've never heard of a GM wearing a 'bursting bomb' device on his collar. ;)