Topic: Trek XI scribe discusses "clean-slate" approach  (Read 2319 times)

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
Trek XI scribe discusses "clean-slate" approach
« on: March 09, 2005, 05:59:00 pm »
From Trek Web

This project will never see the light of day.

"Chaos Theory, Part II" now available.

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
  • If I took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy.
Re: Trek XI scribe discusses "clean-slate" approach
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 07:13:45 pm »
There's an old tradition in space films, if you think about it, where war and conflict are very sterile," Jendresen said. "Death doesn't hurt, it's not really ugly. You can get killed by a phaser and just... disintegrate.

"We're going 160-odd years before Kirk is born. It's an earlier time, and I think it would be really refreshing to feel something in the course of telling this tale, instead of being wowed by special effects, or presenting another crew in jeopardy where, in the end, the captain does something brilliant, and all's right with the world."

This was exactly the attitude I was hoping for in Enterprise, but didn't get.  Instead the prequel had the same civilized, sterile feeling we'd grown used to in Next Generation.

This article marks the first time I've gotten truly interested in Trek XI.

-S'Cipio
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."  - James Madison (chief author of the Constitution)

-----------------------------------------
Gorn Dragon Alliance member
Gorn Dragon Templar
Coulda' used a little more cowbell

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 07:24:03 pm »
The original series you say?

"In the original series, there were big ideas, and they were delivered each week with a lot of verve," Jendresen said. "The crew in particular, lead by a commanding officer who had a certain sense of timeless style, boldness and vision. He had a pioneering spirit, the spirit of all great explorers, that was captured by the original series."

After the original series went off the air in the 1960s, Jendresen said a lot of that was lost, with a few exceptions. And now that four decades have passed, he said it's time to find it again.

"'Star Trek,' the original series, borrowed in an often elegant way from classic mythology and great ancient storytelling," he said. "There's something kind of epic - almost mythic about the prequel (movie)."

I clicked onto the full interview, and liked this bit even more.

-S'Cipio
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."  - James Madison (chief author of the Constitution)

Gorn Dragon Templar

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 07:48:33 pm »
As long as it doesn't counter Canon I think it could be a very interesting movie from the sounds of it.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline Captain Pierce

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 08:06:34 pm »
"We're going 160-odd years before Kirk is born."

Romulan War: 2150's

Kirk's Birth: 2233

Obviously dude went into screenwriting because he had no chance of a career in math.   ::)
Trekmods SFC/BC/Nexus forum

"Don't forget the original series, or dismiss it as obsolete. You owe it everything."  --Shane Johnson, author of Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 08:25:09 pm »
Hmm, well how they make it meet canon like that should be interesting, and if they don't make it match up to canon...well I'll just accept that Star Trek has gone to hell in a handbasket and I shouldn't expect anything really all that great out of Trek anymore...I suppose.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2005, 08:57:51 pm »
"We're going 160-odd years before Kirk is born."

Romulan War: 2150's

Kirk's Birth: 2233

Obviously dude went into screenwriting because he had no chance of a career in math.   ::)

The Romulan War falls under the category of "other people's rumors".  Dude says nothing about the Romulan war.  The only time he mentions Romulans at all is when he says:

"There is a lot of misinformation out there, negative speculation and ill-will,” Jendresen said. "Everybody just needs to just take a Romulan chill pill and have some faith.

-S'Cipio

Gorn Dragon Templar

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2005, 12:21:24 am »
I for one don't believe that it'll be about the Romulan War, either, given that Berman is also in charge of this project.  Plus, I simply don't think that it will get made.  Once ENT goes off the air and the drive led by TU to bring it back fizzles, Paramount will pull the plug on this project and show Berman and this new guy the door.

Edit: If you go back to the thread linked in my first post, you'll see this comment from the author of the original interview:

Hey, everyone ...

Erik just messaged me and let me know that 160 years was an incorrect number (obviously), hehehehe!!

So, don't let that fuel speculation that is might be a WWIII movie or anything like that. :)

Sorry!

--------

Michael Hinman
www.SyFyPortal.com

"Chaos Theory, Part II" now available.