Topic: Dragonshard  (Read 2645 times)

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
Dragonshard
« on: October 18, 2005, 12:46:50 pm »
I just bought and played this game.  It's basically Command & Conquer with Dungeons and Dragons units.  In addition to a Battle for Middle Earth ripoff of the interface, the game corrupted on me once, causing me to lose a campaign. 

The graphics are very 3 years ago, as well.

Perhaps multiplayer is more interesting, but I definitely feel robbed, having paid $50 for this game.  If it interests you, wait for the bargain bin.

I'd give it 2 starts out of 5.

The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Elvis

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: Dragonshard
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 05:43:02 pm »
You know the reviews that I read I got the impression that single player did indeed suck, or rather wasn't as hoped for...isn't that the way of RTS games though?

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 08:46:50 pm »
Everything felt like some other game... it felt like it was a D&D mod, rather than a commercial title.
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 08:18:53 am »
I haven't played this one yet, But back in the Gold Box days, SSI tried to do a RTS game like this and It failed Pretty bad IIRC.

Then again, I think I was the only one who liked The Temple of Elemental Evil which came out about 5 years ago or so.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 08:59:25 am »
Hillsfar wasn't it?  Yep.. that sucked.. and I also liked Pool of Radiance, Ruins of Myth Drannor (Which I believe you are thinking of, since TOEE only came out about a year ago.  Too bad the company folded, they were going to do Against the Giants as a sequel).

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005, 02:00:39 pm »
I liked ToEE as well.  A lot of idiots bashed it though, but those idiots bashed a LOT of good games if anyone paid attention to who was doing the bashing (same people said Icewind Dale, IWD 2, and BG 2 stunk, and only Planescape and the original BG was good, in general when looking at the names on forums and other places, also those people had NO idea what a buggy game was.  They complained about bugs with ToEE...they obviously never lived through the NWN early days, the SWKotOR early days, even got Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor...and other items).

However, of the early games I got a pack called Gamefest, Forgotten Realms classics and didn't really care for most of those games.  There was ONE that I really enjoyed however called Dungeon Hack.

As for Dragonshard...after trying their demo I had a feeling it was going to be slightly buggy, and personally for me...not a game I'd enjoy.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2005, 05:35:50 pm »
Actually It wasn't hillsfar, I do remember that one, where you had to pick locks, Ride horses etc. It was pretty lame. the one I'm thinking of Had Blue Orb Mana shrine type things. It was way back when the C-64 was the rage.

Yeah ToEE was pretty fun I thought. Esp. using the Co8 patch.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2005, 09:15:02 am »
Just remembered this morning while drinking Cofee. It was called Blood and Magic.

Stephen