Topic: BattleStar Galactica Episode 8 Tonight - SciFi Channel 10 P.M.  (Read 4421 times)

Offline TheJudge

• Captain
BattleStar Galactica Episode 8 Tonight - SciFi Channel 10 P.M.
« on: February 25, 2005, 11:11:43 am »
Tonight's episode is called Flesh & Bone, and is another Starbuck-centric episode. 

Still recovering from her recent injury, Starbuck is being bounced around between different tasks in order to keep her busy and motivated for continued recovery.  When another human-looking Cylon is discovered in the fleet (this time the same model as the one found at the Ragnar Space Station who was killed personally by Commander Adama), Starbuck is tapped to interrogate the prisoner.  Meanwhile Chief Tyrel has a deep conversation with Boomer that reveals a little too much of her conflicted nature and President Roslyn continues to try to carve out her authority over Adama.

Tonight's episode is very important, even though it is a little bit slow in certain areas.  Starbuck could give the Cardassians some lessons in torture, both mental and physical, and I'm assuming she picked up the ideas from her Pilot Survival Training (the earth version of which gives pilots some great ideas on torture).  President Roslyn's personal conflicts with Adama really take off as a result of this episode, and grows until the climax in Episodes 12 and 13.  This also establishes her very important relationship with Starbuck.

(no lesbian action...yet)

The even better news is that we're now two weeks away from the heavy-action oriented Episode 10 - The Hand of God. 

P.S.  Ron Moore has a new blog up that really blew me out of the water.  I don't think anyone except JMS has ever been so forthright on a mistake made in a broadcast episode.  He discusses the mistake made in the Mini-series with the character of President Roslyn and what he intended, but didn't film because of budget constraints. 

:)
He who can master the data controls the world.

Offline NJAntman

• Lt. Commander
  • Jusssst short of a 1000 Taldren posts, damn!!
Re: BattleStar Galactica Episode 8 Tonight - SciFi Channel 10 P.M.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2005, 01:10:27 pm »
Got a link to that blog?
G.R.I.P. - Great Rid of Incumbent Politicians

Offline TheJudge

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 02:59:42 pm »
http://blog.scifi.com/battlestar/

I'm hoping he answers my questions next week with the Q&A he does.  I asked for a count of the Raptors (as requested here), and why Boomer gets all the studly ECO for her Raptor.

Offline NJAntman

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 07:35:12 pm »
Thanks for the link. Loved this part -

"was this the first show to ever show a Bathroom on a space ship?"

It's ground-breaking TV, baby. Talk about reinventing the genre

Offline TheJudge

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005, 09:56:58 pm »
Thanks for the link. Loved this part -

"was this the first show to ever show a Bathroom on a space ship?"

It's ground-breaking TV, baby. Talk about reinventing the genre

I've seen shows that used the URINALS in a bathroom, but the stalls where you take a dump...nope.  Plus, have you noticed that there's always a slight sexual undertone between any scene with Baltar and Gaeda in it?  I think Gaeda loves Baltar secretly.  Notice Gaeda's feet the way they move when Baltar starts speaking.  :)

Offline TheJudge

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2005, 11:53:19 am »
So...any comments on last night's episode?  I personally think the Leoben Cylon is a cool character and wish we'd see more of him (he's cuter than the other male).  Also, Caprica-version Boomer is now directly violating the orders of the other cylons in order to protect Helo.  Could she be the first Cylon to really KNOW love instead of just reacting to a line of programming?

Coming next week...the real reason why Colonel Tigh drinks too much shows up as Adama reunites him with his wife.

Offline NJAntman

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2005, 04:33:44 pm »
When I see Gaeda I get the feeling he is a Cylon, something about his attitude towards Baltar.

Offline TheJudge

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2005, 04:53:47 pm »
Hehe, Cylon love at its best...:)

Oh, Stephen, still waiting on your thoughts....

Offline Villa64

• NCC-64E
  • Captain
  • Knuckle Dragger
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2005, 06:29:54 pm »
Well, as far as comments...

1.  I have yet another example of Cylons getting into humans' heads.  In this case it was the presidents dreams.  Makes me think that they have some means to do that.

2.  I didnt make the connection about the President disapproving of Starbuck or Adama.  It seemed to me that she showed up at the interrogation at the eleventh hour and played a little 'good cop, bad cop' without telling Starbuck what she was up to.  Once she got what she wanted, she spaced the little bastard.  Ruthless beeeotch, isnt she?

3.  When I watched it, I couldnt help but thinking of some of the H&S threads about Gitmo and AG. hmmm.

4.  Seems like the Cylons can be pretty strong when they need to be.

5.  Someone posted a link to the full online '33'.  There was a scene where the Cylon tells Baltar she wants children.  There seems to be something up with the Cylons wanting humans to accept them spiritually, and biologically.  Lots of previous mentions along these lines, and more in this episode.

6.  'You will find Kobol'.  Cool.  Is the guy precognizant?  Do the Cylons know that Kobol is along their flight path?  Or are the Cylons setting up a little Kobol ruse (like back on Caprica with the bomb shelter, and the cabin setup?

Thats about it.  This could turn out to be a popular show.  Funny what happens when you tell stories about people, rather than technology and dogfights.

Villa
Engaging the precious snowflakes of the world.

Offline TheJudge

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2005, 10:36:01 pm »
Yeah, there's several people on the sci-fi boards moaning about the lack of focus on technology, or details about the technology.  They keep saying the show will fail because the technology isn't fleshed out, but I have to point out that BSG is on a cable network pulling in ratings that beat Enterprise which is on a broadcast network.  It being about the characters really makes a difference (and really that's when Enterprise was at its best, dealing with the characters more than the tech.)

Offline Capt_Bearslayer_XC

• "Sorry I haven't been around much lately. I'm easily distracted by shiney things."
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Captain
  • Virtute non verbis
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2005, 12:50:10 am »
What idiots.... the characters make the show.... the tech just provides a back ground.

Also, I really think your Gaeda-Gaius love fest is a fantasy.

Political Correctness is really Political Censorship

A tax code should exist to procure the funds necessary for the operation of government, not to manipulate human or business behavior.

A nocens dies in loricatus est melior quam a bonus dies procul opus.

A bad peace is even worse than war."  --  Tacitus

"We thought we could resolve the system's problems by rationing services or injecting massive amounts of new money into it" -Claude Castonguay

Offline TheJudge

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2005, 01:40:57 pm »
What idiots.... the characters make the show.... the tech just provides a back ground.

Yeah, well, fantasy is good.  :)

I couldn't believe it when I found myself starting to be attracted to Baltar.  I mean, the old series I hated him, and during the new mini-series I found him slightly repugnant.  Now I find him repugnant and somehow attractive at the same time.  It's warped I tell ya! 

Gaeda is like a love-sick puppy dog begging to be slapped around, though. 

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2005, 04:44:00 pm »

On one hand, I'm inclined to agree with Bearslayer's assesment.

One the other hand, I noticed that Gaeda's name is pronounced Gay-duh.

"Gay! Duh!"

So...who knows?
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Villa64

• NCC-64E
  • Captain
  • Knuckle Dragger
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2005, 10:04:13 pm »
AAAAAUUUUGGGHHHH!

I just saw the preview for the next BSG. 

Forget all the nice crap I said about the President.

THAT BIOTCH THINKS THE COMMANDER IS A CYLON!!

Arrgh.  Just cant get through to some people!!

<...man, I gotta get a life..>

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
  • If I took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy.
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2005, 09:59:37 am »
AAAAAUUUUGGGHHHH!

I just saw the preview for the next BSG. 

Forget all the nice crap I said about the President.

THAT BIOTCH THINKS THE COMMANDER IS A CYLON!!

Arrgh.  Just cant get through to some people!!

<...man, I gotta get a life..>

What if she's right?

<insert Twilight Zone music>

-S'Cipio
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."  - James Madison (chief author of the Constitution)

-----------------------------------------
Gorn Dragon Alliance member
Gorn Dragon Templar
Coulda' used a little more cowbell
-----------------------------------------

Offline TheJudge

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2005, 10:24:34 am »
Woot, this week's is a good episode...Colonel Tigh's wife is...amusing in the extreme.  Still, next week's episode is fracking awesome, I tell ya!

Offline Villa64

• NCC-64E
  • Captain
  • Knuckle Dragger
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2005, 09:52:28 am »
AAUUGH!!

The XO's wife!  What a great character.  My first thought was that anyone who had spent some time in the military had met someone married to HER.  I know I have.  Met, that is, not married.   ;D

Is she a recurring character?  I guess the Cylons werent destructive enough.

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
  • "The Terminator" Pestalence_XC, Xenocorp
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2005, 10:09:39 am »
I think she is a Cylon.. the 5th model to be shown on screen
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Xenocorp / Dynaverse.net Moderator & Beta Test Team
SFC 4 Project QA Coordinator
Taldren Beta Test Team
14 Degrees East Beta Test Team
Activision Visioneers SFC 3 Beta Test Team

Offline TheJudge

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2005, 12:02:52 pm »
She makes an appearance in Episode 11 - Colonial Day, and BOY does she show her evil fangs there.  That episode featurs Tom Zarek as well (Richard Hatch), and starts to wrap up the loose ends from Episode 3 (namely elections).

I loved the scene where her and Baltar shook hands...it was like two sluts eyeing each other up and down and preparing to piss in order to mark their territories. 

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2005, 09:11:25 am »
I actually hope she's NOT a Cylon.  Baltar, thanks to the chip in the head and what he went through when he found out he'd screwed his own race, has sympathetic aspects.  She's just destructive because she likes to be, and in a very believable way.  Hence, making her a Cylon would be kind of a cop out, I think.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight