Topic: BattleStar Galactica Episode 8 Tonight - SciFi Channel 10 P.M.  (Read 4417 times)

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
  • If I took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy.
Re: BattleStar Galactica Episode 8 Tonight - SciFi Channel 10 P.M.
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2005, 06:04:34 pm »

I missed the mini-series, so maybe I'm missing some old plot elements.  However, I've noticed in the last two episodes that the main characters seem to fear that people they know have been replaced by cylons.

Perhaps there once was a real Boomer, but my impression from watching the series and hearing her orphan story is that there was not.  Nor have I seen evidence that either of the other two cylons found on Galactica were ever real.

Has there ever been a case shown (yet) of someone human being replaced by a cylon, or have all humanoid cylons been simple sleeper agents with phoney backgrounds?

[Spoiler, if you've waited two weeks to see your Tivo/videotape]

On a seperate note, I'm a little confused by Baltar refusing to expose Boomer now that his test shows her to be cylon.  I know why he didn't tell Boomer at the time, she'd have killed him.  But he could have told Adama later in perfect safety, and proven himself an irreplacable hero of the fleet.  (Whether he ever took the time and effort to run another real test or not.)

What's more, the decision to fake all the tests as "green" seems to be his idea; not the idea of the chip in his head,  based upon their conversation at the end of this weeks episode.  (Though she does seem to have dropped the threat that he build a working detector or else she will kill him.  Not sure why she makes him build it, if she isn't going to make him use it.)

-S'Cipio
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."  - James Madison (chief author of the Constitution)

-----------------------------------------
Gorn Dragon Alliance member
Gorn Dragon Templar
Coulda' used a little more cowbell

Offline Capt_Bearslayer_XC

• "Sorry I haven't been around much lately. I'm easily distracted by shiney things."
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Captain
  • Virtute non verbis
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2005, 07:14:41 pm »
What I can't wait to see is Baltar trying to explain himself when the command structure finds out that the Cylon detector is a big lie.

Also, I loved the ending with everyone doing their thing and Baltar daydreaming of Six being with him swiveling around in the chair... I about died laughing when I saw it....

The rest of the folks must think he is an insane genius....

Political Correctness is really Political Censorship

A tax code should exist to procure the funds necessary for the operation of government, not to manipulate human or business behavior.

A nocens dies in loricatus est melior quam a bonus dies procul opus.

A bad peace is even worse than war."  --  Tacitus

"We thought we could resolve the system's problems by rationing services or injecting massive amounts of new money into it" -Claude Castonguay

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2005, 09:56:53 pm »
What I can't wait to see is Baltar trying to explain himself when the command structure finds out that the Cylon detector is a big lie.

That's what I'm talking about.  I can understand a man of weak principals simply not wanting to put in 60 years of mind-numbing work to test everyone in the fleet.  I can even sympathise.

But if you want to slack off, be lazy, and avoid hassle, why not go ahead and identify the one cylon you know you've already found?  That way, if anyone ever questions you, you can point to Boomer and say, "Of course my test works!  Look at the cylon I already found!"  There would be no extra work involved and it would be great cover for your arse.

Of course, I'm still really curious to find out why chip-lady is willing to kill him if he doesn't build a working cylon detectore, but doesn't care that he doesn't use it once it's built.

-S'Cipio
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."  - James Madison (chief author of the Constitution)

Gorn Dragon Templar

Offline The_Joker

• Lt.
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2005, 01:24:44 am »
Because the Cylon that she wants exposed hasn't presented themselve's fully, yet.  There appears to be a "glitch" in Sharon's programming.  The fully "Cylon" Sharon on Caprica has fallen in love with Helo and is now apparently helping him escape the planet, instead of following orders.  The sleeper agent on the Galactica obviously doesn't want to believe she is Cylon.  Six needs a working Cylon detector in case she needs to prove that a trusted member of Galactica's crew is Cylon so that person can get similar treatment to the last one. 
"Look at him now, poor fellow. That's what a dose of reality does for you... Never touch the stuff myself, you understand. Find it gets in the way of the hallucinations."

Offline Villa64

• NCC-64E
  • Captain
  • Knuckle Dragger
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2005, 07:32:45 am »
Baltar recognizes the 'Cylon Detector' as the extremely powerful device that it is.  It could be two tin cans with some string attached, but the ability to point and say 'that guy there is a Cylon', and have credibility, gives him power.  And he doesnt care what color the indicator is, all he has to do is point.  He isnt afraid of Cylons.  He does need some clout in the fleet, though.  And this could be huge when the right time comes. 

Paranoia will destroy ya.

I think thats the underlying theme here and the huge Achilles heel of the fleet.

Villa
Engaging the precious snowflakes of the world.

Offline Death_Merchant

• Commander
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2005, 10:53:36 am »
Of course, I'm still really curious to find out why chip-lady is willing to kill him if he doesn't build a working cylon detectore, but doesn't care that he doesn't use it once it's built.

-S'Cipio
Everyone assumes Six is due to a "chip-in-the-head". This is Baltar's own rationalization.
There is another potential explanation....

Maybe there is no "chip".
Perhaps, just perhaps, the good Doctor is simply and quietly going mad...
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

Offline benbean

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2005, 07:57:10 am »
So many points for me to comment on...

But I've seen all the episodes, so i'll hold my water for now  ;)

ben.
ben.

Offline TheJudge

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2005, 02:23:15 am »
Three more weeks of new episodes in Season One, and then we can all discuss the big shocker(s) in the last two episodes. 

For now, I have to say that my absolute favorite episode so far is the one that will play on Friday night - Episdoe 10 - The Hand of God.  It has SO MUCH going on in it that there's almost too many good scenes to point out.  If you've seen the commercials, you've seen two of the best scenes character-wise, where Adama points out to Starbuch WHY she can't fly the lead slot in the attack, and then when she says she never wanted the job he gave to her. His response gets a thrill out of me every time. 

He who can master the data controls the world.

Offline TheJudge

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2005, 02:32:14 am »
Oh my gods, you have got to see this deleted scene:

http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/episodes/season01/109/

It's the middle one where Baltar is drawing blood from Starbuck for the Cylon tester...

#6 to Baltar:  You really need to get down her pants.  I'll join you.

Later...

Baltar to Starbuck:  May I have my ball back please? 

#6 to Baltar:  See, it won't be such a bad 61 years after all (referring to the time it takes to test everyone in the fleet.)

Hehehehe

The other two scenes...well the one with Chief Tyrol was important, but not necessary to upping the friggin paranoia and the one between Dualla and Gaeta was cute, but again not really integral.

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2005, 11:17:16 am »

-S'Cipio
Everyone assumes Six is due to a "chip-in-the-head". This is Baltar's own rationalization.
There is another potential explanation....

Maybe there is no "chip".
Perhaps, just perhaps, the good Doctor is simply and quietly going mad...

Hmmm... good speculation.  Might be something to that.

I've got my own pet theory, that Cylons can project images into a human brain.  Thus, Six can interact with Baltar's daydreams.  (doesn't mean he isn't still going mad.) and can appear "in the flesh" when the mental approach isn't getting  through.

Also, the other cylon can thus project himself into the presdent's dreams, so that his claim of Adama being a cylon is more believable when he allows himself to be found and plants his little psy-ops bomb.

This theory would require the cylon to know that the president would put him out the airlock so that his real end could match his dream end, but he might have taken that to be a very likely punishment.  (And got lucky)  Or maybe he was betting that the dream would nudge the president in that direction for his execution.

-S'Cipio

Gorn Dragon Templar

Offline TheJudge

• Captain
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2005, 11:01:30 pm »
Then again the President's experimental herbal medication could be making her have real prophetic dreams.

Offline Iceman

• 1st Lieutenant
  • Lt.
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2005, 12:28:04 pm »
It's always possible the Cylons are actually prophets of some kind, don't ya think?
I believe this belongs to you. -Commander Sheehan to Imperial Captain Smithy
"Wedge, it's amazing how deceptive you can be without actually lying." -Tycho Celchu