Topic: Repost of map for inspiration to server builders  (Read 5144 times)

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
Re: Repost of map for inspiration to server builders
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2005, 04:07:40 pm »
What is wrong with a "hex-flipper's dream" server?

The pendulum has swung too far, not every player is a PvPer.

Somebody make the map. I will host it.
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
  • If I took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy.
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2005, 04:14:05 pm »
Just a brainstorm here but,......

What about the idea of letting the races tailor their own defenses a little.

For example, a race has X number of "DV" points to spend in a given region of their territory and "Y" number can be spent in any given hexx.  Do they create a few really tough Hexes blocking off an approach, do they make a longer line of build up hexes in wall fashion, do they scatter the points over many hexes, do they create a few big hexes to funnel their opponents into killing zones... the option is theirs.

Now this would be done only after the map was generally set up with certain tough points already, it would just allow a bit of tinkering by each race to simulate the deployment of reasources in each sector based on their overall warplan.

The use of say 100 DV points in a large sector and no more than 20 in any given hex wouldnt fundamentally change the map but would allow for some interesting features.

Jsut start the map with every hex at 1/2 maximum DV.  With space between the empires, there will be time to make a decision.  Should players spend some points boosting home hexes, or starting a run towards enemy space?

-S'Cipio
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."  - James Madison (chief author of the Constitution)

-----------------------------------------
Gorn Dragon Alliance member
Gorn Dragon Templar
Coulda' used a little more cowbell

Offline Kroma BaSyl

• Romulan Tart
  • Lt. Commander
  • Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2005, 04:17:47 pm »

Jsut start the map with every hex at 1/2 maximum DV.  With space between the empires, there will be time to make a decision.  Should players spend some points boosting home hexes, or starting a run towards enemy space?

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
♥ ♥ ♥  GDA Kroma BaSyl  ♥ ♥ ♥
GCS Prima Ballerina
GCS PHAT Gorn
GCS Queen Kroma

Because this game makes me feel like  a thirteen year old girl trapped in a lizards body.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2005, 04:24:45 pm »

-S'Cipio

here is s stupid question, how do you do that in Atiflex?

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2005, 04:39:16 pm »

-S'Cipio

here is s stupid question, how do you do that in Atiflex?

Go ahead and make the map in afrtifex giving each hex the maximum value you want.  Then start the server and let it run for a turn.  Then you can easily cut each hex's current DV in half with Evil Dave's DB editor.  Takes less than  15 seconds with Evil Dave's  (I followed this procdure for Squadron Commander).  Just to be safe, I'd give every hex a maximu DV value that is divisible by two.

<Suddenly remembers he once promised to send DH the DB editor, then forgot to do so.>

Doh!!  Umm.... check your inbox tonight.  Honest.

-S'Cipio
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."  - James Madison (chief author of the Constitution)

Gorn Dragon Templar

Offline KAT J'inn

• CFO - Kzinti War Machine, Inc.
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2005, 05:47:08 pm »
Well . .  . .

Attack of the Kitties was originally planned with each race only having 7 hexes with a vast sea of neutral space.    The idea was scrapped due to a bug that lowed the DV of a neutral hex regardless of the outcome of the mission.   There was also a Co-Op in neutral space bug.   

Are these still issues?

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2005, 06:00:26 pm »
Well . .  . .

Attack of the Kitties was originally planned with each race only having 7 hexes with a vast sea of neutral space.    The idea was scrapped due to a bug that lowed the DV of a neutral hex regardless of the outcome of the mission.   There was also a Co-Op in neutral space bug.   

Are these still issues?

No

So, about AOTK2 . . . . .  <Snicker>

Offline Kougar_XC

• Another Red Shirt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2005, 08:07:13 pm »
Dizzy, just my two pesos here, but I take the opposite line of thought.

With a smaller playerbase involved, the same 30 DV planet hexes are murder to take even when most of your side is logged in. This isn't even counting SG04 where there were always DNs and a BB working missions at that same planet often teamed together and forcing everyone away, where you couldn't really go elsewhere and attack to divide the fronts. I spent most of my odd 300,000PP doing this, and it was extremely irritating. I'd rather have two planets at 15 DV anyday, instead of having everything landlocked at a single hex for days on end.

As for PvP, it wouldn't be hard to find once you build a LOS to an enemy and start assaulting their space, not like they'd have a vast amount to let be taken before they decide to respond. If the ISC were being ignored again, they could just make a line drive to Earth as one example.

The Dyna revolves around hex flipping I'm afraid, for those of us  that thrive on PvP there are other declining avenues. I'd rather hex flip a greater number of hexes, then to work on flipping a smaller number of higher DV hexes. It works out to be the same time-wise either way.

Cougar=SoV= | KOTHCougar | KOTHMegafortress

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2005, 10:08:32 pm »
30 DV planets are murder. Agreed.

10 DV planets would be better. And the space around it at 20 is enough... Some 10 DV hexes about... A slightly larger map would prevent rapid enemy advancement. Chuut is right in that a 1/2 size articfire map with 5 and 10 DV hexes could work. The map maker would have to insure the front lines are relatively close together so traveling from one action hot spot to the other doesnt take so long... But still, a bigger map = less PvP.

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2005, 12:42:20 am »
But still, a bigger map = less PvP
PvP can be found on a two sided server simply if enought people want to find it, Plain and simple.  Shiplist and detailed OOB do more to curb P v P than any map settings IMHO.

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2005, 01:30:53 am »
Tru, but i dont want to traverse 50 hexes to get to a combat zone.

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2005, 04:13:00 am »
Have a second account  ;),  of course a possible option might be to allow 2 or 3 hex movement with the stipulation that such only be allowed through friendly space that was connected by a LOS.  It would require the honor system of course, but it kinda makes sense that ships could make better time in friendly space with constant esupply, detailed astronavigation maps, and less need to be at constant alert.  It would also make creating such lines of supply a strategic item, making them useful in more than the standard ways.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2005, 05:00:19 am by KAT Chuut-Ritt »

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2005, 04:40:10 am »

An interesting idea, but it looks like more of a hex flippers wet dream than what I would consider a less boring server. It is worth a shot though. Why don't you run it? I would definitely give it a go.

Well I'm trying to learn to opperation of the Map maker, not much luck as yet, however, but then again I got my initial description on how to get it to work by Dizzy...... ;D

Any chance of someone posting an easy to follow tutorial?

As far as the rest, I really don't know a damn thing about the actual mechanics of running a server, but I'm willing to learn.  So perhaps some of might might recieve an SOS for guidance on some of these matters in the future.

If I do go ahead with something like this don't necessarily expect it anytime soon, as I have some other ideas I'd like to throw into the same concept.  Thinks like allowing the races to do some tailoring of their own defenses, a secret map layout where players didn't get to see the actual map until logging on and just had a basic scetch of enemy positions before server start, but were aware of their own holdings in all detail, the use of non patrol missions for some intell gathering and bonuses outside of PvP to allow the newbies and non PvPers to contribute to their teams victory more than just DV raising grunt work, etc.
Oh and also expect some roleplaying threads to be a part of it, perhaps a month of such prior to server start, not the one week rush job, but more lengthy ones that might have a bearing on VCs and terrain, etc.

My point in this topic wasn't one of making my own server but to give other potential server builders something to consider when making their maps, beyond those straight line border standardized 20-30DV hexes that have been the monopoly recently.  The idea of designing my own has begun to take root, however, although a more experienced server designer might do a better job of it.  But I plan to continue my concept developments in hopes of being able to put one together. 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2005, 10:22:02 pm by KAT Chuut-Ritt »

Offline Soreyes

• Commander
  • It's Not News. It's CNN
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2005, 11:00:03 am »
This whole thing sounds very interisting.... It's been awhile since I have heard people bitching and complaining about the Kzin flipping hexes faster then any one else ;D

Have DF will Hex flip ;D

[img width=600 height=150]

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2005, 11:03:31 am »
"Row row row your boat
Gently down the stream
Belts off, trousers down,
Isn't life a scream!"

Looking at this "poem" next to your current avatar is quite disturbing.

-S'Cipio

Gorn Dragon Templar

Offline Soreyes

• Commander
  • It's Not News. It's CNN
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2005, 11:17:57 am »
"Row row row your boat
Gently down the stream
Belts off, trousers down,
Isn't life a scream!"

Looking at this "poem" next to your current avatar is quite disturbing.

-S'Cipio

EEK!!!!!!   I never noticed that before. :o  I might have to do some moving around here ;D
It was something I remember from "Black Adder Goes Forth" that i thought was funner then heck.

[img width=600 height=150]

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2005, 11:40:43 am »

EEK!!!!!!   I never noticed that before. :o 

LOL

Leave it to us sickos on D2.  We'll misconstrue anything.

-S'Cipio

Gorn Dragon Templar