Topic: World of Warcraft?  (Read 2806 times)

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
World of Warcraft?
« on: December 14, 2004, 05:31:15 pm »
Can anyone tell me more about this game in an indepth review (preferably at least 1000 words) and how it is or is not like Diablo 2?  How the skill systems work, and other items.  I'm curious about the game, but not curious enough to waste $50 on it without knowing if I probably will or will not like it.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline [ISC]Phaser

• Fleet Admiral
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • "Fire in the Bowl"
Re: World of Warcraft?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 05:41:54 pm »
if i'm not mistaken warcraft is like a command and conquer type game nothing like diablo2...

Offline Durin

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2004, 05:44:08 pm »
I was in closed beta and as soon as I get over the year-end tax crunch I'll
 be back in there again.Now I won't write an in-depth essay on the game but I will tell you that it is fun.From Start to finish.

It has an easy to learn,intuitive  interface.An atmosphere that is unique but compelling.Oh one other thing Dwarves with guns. ;D If you like a fantasy setting this is the game to play.I've been playing mmorpg's since U.O and this in my opinion is the best to date.If you have anything specific you would like to know ask me and I'll try to answer it for you.

KnightAdvancer

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2004, 06:08:53 pm »
Gamespot, Gamespy, and IGN have written so much about WoW that if it was compiled into a book it make Adam Smith's treatise An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations look like a pamphlet.

Suffice to say I hope to get it for Christmas. But is an MMORPG, meaning you will have to pay a monthly fee, not just the $50. You do get a thirty-day free trial period, however.

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2004, 06:19:06 pm »
Read the Gamespot, and Gamespy reviews, but I trust their reviews as much as I could throw a beached blue whale with my own two hands.  I prefer user reveiws as they show more honest and raw emotion (both ways) but it seems Gamespot has restricted it from me (perhaps one has to register with their site or something to gain access?, but that's something I won't do).  Plus they don't do an indepth comparison to the Diablo series.  I LOVED Diablo 2, however most Diablo clones I end up hating...hence I'm curious how much it is or is not like Diablo 2, and such items.

I'm not a big fan of MMORPGs myself, as most don't really have any strong plot or point (Diablo 2 had a strong plot compared to most of them...of course I like d2's story) except go out and kill creatures.  However, the rave scores it's received and some spare time over Christmas has me intrigued.

Comparisons to Diablo 2 would be appreciated, as well as perhaps a description of which character class and racial descriptions one can have, how one levels up and how one gains and sells equipment, how one chooses skills and other such items would be very useful...the more indepth the better.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline Durin

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2004, 07:46:55 pm »
Honestly Dash there is too much information to go thru here on the forums.I'll give you the link to the official FAQ.It covers everything you need there.Once you get thru that I can probably answer more detailed questions for you.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/faq/

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2004, 04:50:55 pm »
I hate MMORPG's, it is just one more way to get money out of people.  Wow focuses too much on certain type of characters, I just hope that Blizzard doesn't mess up Starcraft 2 in the same way.

Offline Whoo

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2004, 01:42:59 pm »
I have WoW, and its a pretty standard MMO.

Basically you are character in the world, with hundreds (if not thousands) of people roaming the same world (or server) with you.  You accept quests, learn attacks, team with other members, learn talents and skills all making you the bigger badder warrior/mage/palidan/shamen/druid/rougue or whatever.

You can engage in pure team play vs NPCs or PvP are optional as well.
Graphics are awsome, gameplay ranges from really slow to very intense, pvp is fairly intense most of the time.

All I can say is its fun and addicting, and once you see the content and the vast worlds to explore, you will understand the server loads and why something would have a monthly subscription.

Its a never ending movie staring you, and only gets better with age :)

I had a sig, but the dog ate it.

Offline Durin

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2004, 05:22:14 pm »
Well said Whoo.We have a nice group of the 9th in there and I'm trying to bring more in all the time.I personally con;t wait for the battlefields to be put in.  ;D

Offline Whoo

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2004, 09:29:33 pm »
what server and are you horde or alliance?
I had a sig, but the dog ate it.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2004, 11:37:50 am »
what server and are you horde or alliance?

EarthRing Alliance.

Hey Durin,

Did you hear the story about the psychic dwarf who recently escaped from prison?

The headlines said, "Small Medium At Large."  ;D

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2004, 01:06:45 pm »
Here you Go dash. thanks to F9thfasteEagle for the link.

http://users.ev1.net/~pheris/wow/movies/ddrwow.wmv

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline GDA-Kel

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2005, 10:21:39 am »
Cenaron Circle server. 

Alliance. 

Callsign is 'Kel.' 

Always looking for a friendly face.....

GDA-Kel
Gorn Dragon Alliance

Offline Abfalter

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2005, 04:24:17 pm »

Best.....game.....ever.....

(Lamia, Argent Dawn, Level 23 Undead Warlock)
==========================
  Let us never forgot our gracious former 
  hosts at the Taldren Forums                 
==========================

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2005, 12:45:44 pm »
I have WoW, and its a pretty standard MMO.

Basically you are character in the world, with hundreds (if not thousands) of people roaming the same world (or server) with you.  You accept quests, learn attacks, team with other members, learn talents and skills all making you the bigger badder warrior/mage/palidan/shamen/druid/rougue or whatever.

You can engage in pure team play vs NPCs or PvP are optional as well.
Graphics are awsome, gameplay ranges from really slow to very intense, pvp is fairly intense most of the time.

All I can say is its fun and addicting, and once you see the content and the vast worlds to explore, you will understand the server loads and why something would have a monthly subscription.

Its a never ending movie staring you, and only gets better with age :)

This sound a lot like Guild Wars as well.

Offline GE-Raven

• Lord God Emperor for Life of the Taldren SETI Group
  • D.Net VIP
  • Commander
  • The cause of AND solution to life's problems
    • Raven's Nest
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2005, 10:47:27 am »
Would have replied sooner but I am too busy playing WoW!!!

I love this game.

Realm: Sargeras
Name(s): Thorain - Dwarven Hunter level 35
              Seton - Night Elf Priest level 8

Part of the Cynosure Guild...

We should all make alts on a single server sometime (perhaps PVE so we could get together even though horde and alliance)

GE-Raven

Offline GDA-Kel

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2005, 11:33:10 am »
Would have replied sooner but I am too busy playing WoW!!!

I love this game.

Realm: Sargeras
Name(s): Thorain - Dwarven Hunter level 35
              Seton - Night Elf Priest level 8

Part of the Cynosure Guild...

We should all make alts on a single server sometime (perhaps PVE so we could get together even though horde and alliance)

GE-Raven

Raven,

We were wondering what happened to you...now we know!

I am also hooked on WoW.  30th lvl Dwarven Hunter (Kel) and 16th lvl NE Druid (Dac) on Cenarion Circle and 12 lvl undead Mage (Kel) on Nathrezim. 

I'd be happy to pick a PvE server and roll up another alt to be able to run around with a D2 gang. 

I lthink I like RP servers the best.  The PvP srver I'm on (Nathrezim) has a noticeably less mature playerbase than Cenarion Circle.  Lots of ganking going on there that gets old after about the second time it happens to you. 

Good Hunting to you!
GDA-Kel
Gorn Dragon Alliance

KnightAdvancer

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2005, 01:46:22 pm »
Well, I'm in the fold as well, now. Cevanithor, Human Paladin, Earthen Ring RP server. This is my first MMO, and I must admit, the difficulty of putting this game down surpised me.