Topic: Further guidance appreciated....  (Read 1113 times)

Offline Darth Chandley

• Naval Architect
  • Lt. Junior Grade
Further guidance appreciated....
« on: November 06, 2004, 06:43:39 pm »
Okay, this one is about bitmaps and texturing....  What sit's best with you chaps: 6 big bitmaps (eg 1024x1024) with everything covered OR lots of little ones of various sizes???

The reason I ask is that modellers seem to either do one or the other and I wanted to get an idea which way works the best....

Or doesn't it matter too much...  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Thanks again...

DC
Sailors fighting in the dance hall, Oh man! Look at those cavemen go
It's the freakiest show
Take a look at the Lawman beating up the wrong guy, Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
He's in the best selling show
Is there life on Mars?

Offline Wicked Zombie

• His Unholiness
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • Demon Renegade Studios
Re: Further guidance appreciated....
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2004, 07:45:45 pm »
They both have their advantages and disadvantages.

I tend to use the 'self sustained parts' technique where almost every part has it's own separate map and you don't need the rest of the ship or it's textures for that one section. This allows me to kitbash and rip out parts easily and I don't have to make whole new surfaces for the same part each time. Since the parts already have custom fit textures, all I really have to do is apply the map to the surface and keep going. I also don't have blank/unused segments of a texture from the parts I didn't pull.

The downside is that it does give you a lot of textures to keep track of, and when it comes to adding illumination (and other options for other games, like BC) it means you have a lot more surfaces to browse through. It's also arguable that it increases the ship loading times slightly.

The other method of 'combined textures' lets you cram everything into a few maps, making it easier to manage and work with. The downside is, if you want to pull a particular part of a texture off one map and drop onto another, it obviously wouldn't fit perfectly and would probably be distorted/altered. Also, if you change the shape/width of one part of the ship (like the hull or wings), that part of the texture may no longer fit properly.

I use Lightwave and Uview for the bulk of the work and since they don't support mod format, I have to reapply textures whenever I rip parts out for a new ship. Of course, since the ship is most likely going to need textures mapped anyway, it's not that big of a difference. I know in 3ds you can simply rip one part off a ship and drop it onto another and everything is still textured, but I personally tend to modify as much of the ship as possible for originality's sake. Besides the fact that I hate the 3ds interface and it's cluttered double-talk menus.

So it all comes down to how much parts swapping/modification you're going to do. If you're doing a one-off ship like a Galaxy or Neghvar (something that isn't inherently kitbash oriented), then the combined maps are a start. If, however, you're going to be swapping out parts left and right (such as a fleet of TMP style ships), and want to keep things self-sustained (each part being independent from the whole), then you could use the holycrapthatsalotoftexturesandwickedmustbeoncrack method.

Of course this is just my personal preference and from the looks of most others' models, I'm in the minority when it comes to the multi-map option. My suggestion is to simply mess around with both methods and find out which one pisses you off less.
DRS Forums
Klingon Texture Tutorial - Aztec Summary

Reports, incredible as they may seem, are not the results of mass hysteria...

Offline Darth Chandley

• Naval Architect
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2004, 08:09:50 pm »
Thanks for that WZ.... Always great to hear your wisdom.... Funnily enough it was exactly because of your holycrapthatsalotoftexturesandwickedmustbeoncrack method that prompted me to ask... As I've said before, your work (and others) are benchmarks for my prospective projects and since the majority of it will be 100% brand new AND TMP era it makes sense to use that sort of method... Another possible upside is that your holycrapthatsalotoftexturesandwickedmustbeoncrack method puts people off converting your stuff for use in other games...

Nice one

DC
It's the freakiest show
Take a look at the Lawman beating up the wrong guy, Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Is there life on Mars?

Offline Wicked Zombie

• His Unholiness
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • Demon Renegade Studios
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2004, 08:44:42 pm »
Yes, the game converting aspect is another added bonus. Though it also helps dissuade tampering if you're a control freak with a tyrannical readme file. Of course there are still some who, despite repeated, decreasingly tactful hints, still want/try to convert a ship over to another game.
DRS Forums
Klingon Texture Tutorial - Aztec Summary

Reports, incredible as they may seem, are not the results of mass hysteria...

Offline Darth Chandley

• Naval Architect
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2004, 08:10:23 pm »
Nice one WZ, thanks for that....  ;D ;D ;D

Anyone else have an opinion/preference on this???

DC
It's the freakiest show
Is there life on Mars?

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2004, 08:37:03 pm »
I still like the map per part idea.

You map a texture for the major parts of the ship. Engines get one upperhull, lower hull, connectors. The only reason I see the saucers on fed ships getting a sepperate top and bottom is becasue of the registries.
People always said they wanted the government to listen to them and now the government is listening, taking notes and names...and coming to see you soon!

America-Not the land of the free anymore...
 Its the land of the freeloaders

Remember the axiom of big government bureaucrats: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. When, finally, under the crushing weight of taxes and regulation, it stops moving, subsidize it.

Offline Sandman3D

• Lt. Commander
  • Outalance Shipyards
    • SEDL
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2004, 10:47:42 pm »
Well, I use the combined method, just because it's what I learned 1st...though I have been playing with the idea of the holycrapthatsalotoftexturesandwickedmustbeoncrack method ;D (God, I love that :rofl:) because it seems more detailed...again, because of the work WZ does. :) Matter of fact, that's what I'm thinkin' of for the Titan. :drink: Also, on some of the better combined ones, it almost seems as though they're made sperately, then combined and remapped...if that makes sense... :skeptic:

Anyway, to quote from a freer time, "If it feels good, do it!" ;D Whatever way you're more comfortable, that's the way to go... ;)
"Proudly you gathered, rank on rank to war,
As you heard God's message from afar;
All you had hoped for, all you had, you gave
To save mankind-yourself you scorned to save."