Topic: ShipEdit Help  (Read 1532 times)

Offline Kaenyne

• Lt. Junior Grade
ShipEdit Help
« on: November 04, 2004, 11:28:25 am »
Hey Folks!

I might, again MIGHT, have SFC OP working on my XP machine. At the moment it is cooperating, but I still have my doubts. While it is working, I was hoping to start adding custom ships to my game.

I have ShipEdit but it's been so long since I had to start over from square one that I've forgotten how to get it going. So far to experiment, I have added one ship to the game's Models folder. In ShipEdit, under File I tried "Open" and went to Shiplist in Assets (if memory serves) and opened that. Then I clicked the Fed icon. I chose at randon BB, and clicked "copy". I wrote in my ship's name. Then at the bottom, I clicked "Browse" and went to the game's Model folder and found my custom ship's .mod file. Is all that right so far? It didn't succeed though as it didn't appear in the Fed shiplist in the DN slot when I went to play a one player custom skirmish. I know I have missed a step somewhere, but can't remember what it would be. 

Can anybody help out further?

Maybe  an "Idiot's Guide" is out there?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2004, 02:48:51 pm by Kaenyne »
"If I may be so bold, it was a mistake for you to accept promotion. Commanding a Starship is your first, best destiny. Anything else is a waste of material."

-Spock
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
Re: ShipEdit Help
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2004, 02:35:57 pm »
well its simple open the shiplist as you know but you can make one insted of copy one, shipedit wont work if you have the sp2 install on win xp, i know i try it and it wont work :(, don't look at microsoft for a patch or help you wont find it and since there no help from taldren and those who created shipedit, you just have to wait for something to fix sp2 problem like all microsoft software, anyway don't forget to change your ship that you want to add on you list and also save it on the multyplayer kinda file, i don't remeber the name of the file. :-\

Offline Kaenyne

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2004, 02:52:29 pm »
Hey Don:

What is this sp2 install, sir?
"If I may be so bold, it was a mistake for you to accept promotion. Commanding a Starship is your first, best destiny. Anything else is a waste of material."

-Spock

Offline Wolfsglen

• Starship Mutilator
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2004, 03:25:44 pm »
Dont know where you got that info, but Shipedit works perfectly on XP SP2 for me...SP2 did NOT add anything major enough to break it.

Pic to prove it: http://www.wolfsglen.freeserve.co.uk/desktop.jpg

Offline Kaenyne

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2004, 03:40:12 pm »
I see, Wolfsglen.

In light of this, where is my mistake being made. Or, if it is not too much trouble, could you provide a plain language step-by-step guide, please?

Just pretend I am a COMPLETE NEWBIS to ShipEdit and SFC OP. Kinda feel like that anyway right now..   ;)

EDIT: Ah ha! Just figured out what this SP2 is. It's that recent windows update thingy. Well, I pretty sure I haven't had that done, as I would have to go to Microsoft's itself to get it, no?

-Spock

Offline Wolfsglen

• Starship Mutilator
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2004, 03:50:05 pm »
Only thing i can think of, is to make sure you have both parts of Shipedit needed for OP and installed correctly (yea i know, too obvious lol)  these being shipeditv30202.zip and the se39902bpword.zip update for it.

A long time ago i had a problem where even after hitting "save" in the shipedit menu, it wouldnt for some reason...but a reinstall of SE fixed it up and hitting Save in the menu as usual worked perfectly.

Otherwise ya got me stumped :/

Offline Kaenyne

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2004, 03:53:41 pm »
Crud, now I feel like an even bigger ignoramus!   :P

What is this shipeditv30202.zip and the se39902bpword.zip update for and where do I get it?

I must be missing something crucial here...

-Spock

Offline Wolfsglen

• Starship Mutilator
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2004, 03:56:21 pm »
Hmm i think i saw them both over at nightsoft, but it appears to be down again. I'll try and find you a link to grab em.

Offline Kaenyne

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2004, 03:57:53 pm »
That's be very cool of you, sir.

I appreciate all of yous guys help!   :D

-Spock

Offline Wolfsglen

• Starship Mutilator
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2004, 04:01:55 pm »
Ok you can find both over at Firesoul's pages, down near the bottom of the page in the Other/Misc section:

http://klingon.stasis.ca/sources_and_utils/

it has both 3.02 and the 3.99 update (install 3.02 first then 3.99) there are better instructions in the TXT files with each zip i believe.

Hope it helps :D Post back if it doesnt sort the problem though and we will see what else we can try as well.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2004, 06:20:09 pm »
i have them so i can send them to you if you want, i will reboot my com but with the service pack 2 for win xp familly edition the ship edit is not working (the 39902B)

Offline Kaenyne

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2004, 09:54:43 pm »
Thanks guys! You're the best!

-Spock

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2004, 02:33:08 am »
  There are some really nice screen shots in there as well.On FireSouls site.