Topic: ever tried to do a model of this nice station  (Read 1390 times)

Offline dogfighter

• Lt. Junior Grade
ever tried to do a model of this nice station
« on: November 06, 2004, 07:46:16 am »
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/schematics/epsilon-ix.jpg

epsilon 9

would make a fine listening post i think. unarmed but beautifull
« Last Edit: November 07, 2004, 02:55:49 pm by dogfighter »
your sssship iss ssssoft!

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
Re: ever tried to do a model of this nice station
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2004, 07:58:09 am »
LOL, can you imagine the poly-count?
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline dogfighter

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2004, 08:39:01 am »
artras repair dock had about 10000 polies. the epsilon woulndnt need that much. not every conection would have to be modeled speratly. most of the flat surfaces could be made with very few polies.

Offline Terradyhne

• Lt.
    • Terradyhne-yards
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2004, 08:49:51 am »
its stupid that SFC2/OP don't support tga's and alpha channels for transparency, so you could make one object for those sensor arrays and use the alpha channel to make the gabs between those antennas  :( :)

"there will be no better worlds with human presence as mankind tends to ignorance, intolerance and selfishness, despite they tell you about themselves"

Offline dogfighter

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2004, 06:17:46 am »
yeah - tgas would help. but since its supposed to be a listening post and there for wont show up in game too often it doesnt have to be extremly detailed. all these gaps could be kept black - maybe with some painted stars on the black areas.the station should ly horizontal in game. so u could fly above it.
that way it wouldnt look too bad i think.
hope someone decides to give it a try.

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2004, 06:37:43 am »
I don't know much about modelling but couldn't you utilize the technique /appearance of being cloaked to create the transparency?

Oh yeah and add this to the list of stations to be done...............
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/stmagazine/utopia-station.jpg
« Last Edit: November 07, 2004, 08:22:49 am by ModelsPlease »

ModelsPlease, resident "Model Junkie" recovering from a tragic crayon sharpener accident.

Offline futurama_guy

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Where's the beef?!
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2004, 02:28:51 pm »
img]http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/schematics/epsilon-ix.jpg[/img

epsilon 9

would make a fine listening post i think. unarmed but beautifull

Please please please people! Why does everyone insist on stealing pictures from other peoples websites? Seriously folks, I hate being a hard@$$ about this, but I know for a fact that no one here is paying for the services to keep www.ex-astris-scientia.org running, so why be rude and steal Bernds bandwidth?  I noticed this is being done over at the Sidney/Polaris thread as well... >:(

There seems to be rules around here about stealing other peoples work (which is stealing their "time") but nothing about stealing pictures off of their websites (which is stealing their MONEY - as they pay to run those sites), I wish the admins around here would enforce that rule.  A link to the picture without showing the picture would more than suffice - or in turn, host it from your own website.  Thank you!!!
Off of my soapbox - there are to other CANON options for listening posts available for download out there: The Midas Array (from VGR) and  the Relay Station 47 (from "Aquiel").  They are much more compact, and adhere to the size of the default generic post in SFC3.  Epsilon IX was massive - much like its later counterpart, the Argus Array.  :)

Offline MrCue

• Site Designer
  • Lt.
  • Proud Father
    • Battleclinic
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2004, 02:35:36 pm »
Admin hat on
We are currently discussing what the policy for linking to remote images.
While we do care about these issues we can not check with every server owner from which people post images, and a good number of sites which have links posted here are quite happy to have users "hot link" images and other resources so long as the site is relevant.

Admin hat off

Its the webmasters responsibility to ensure that their bandwidth is not stolen, and its very easy to acomplish. I PM'ed you a copy of this message earlier along with a link to a web-based tool to generate the basics of a blocking file.

Offline MrCue

• Site Designer
  • Lt.
  • Proud Father
    • Battleclinic
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2004, 02:46:13 pm »
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/faq.htm
Q: May I load images directly from your server to display them on my website?
A: No! I loathe bandwidth leeching and I will fight it no matter how big you display the credit to EAS. You have to save all files to your own server. There are only two exceptions, if you display a banner for my site, or if you post images for a discussion (not as your avatar!) on a message board. I'm not Geocities and the likes, and I don't disable off-site linking, but I check my server log files at least once every week, so I am able to find bandwidth thieves and punish them by removing the files and displaying a message like "image illegally loaded from EAS". >:->

This is a message board, and a discussion. correct?
So i guess this meets the qualification.

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2004, 02:55:42 pm »
It would still be better to link to the picuture instead of having it loaded everytime someone views the page. That way once we have seen the picture, he will save bandwidth.
People always said they wanted the government to listen to them and now the government is listening, taking notes and names...and coming to see you soon!

America-Not the land of the free anymore...
 Its the land of the freeloaders

Remember the axiom of big government bureaucrats: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. When, finally, under the crushing weight of taxes and regulation, it stops moving, subsidize it.

Offline dogfighter

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2004, 02:57:29 pm »
i changed it to a link. i dont want to cause trouble here. :)

still - id like to see that station done. mostly because its beautifull and its tmp canon.

ed :)

Offline MrCue

• Site Designer
  • Lt.
  • Proud Father
    • Battleclinic
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2004, 02:59:46 pm »
It would be nice if people would attach them to the post so they still load (i dislike opening new windows to view stuff) and save the bandwidth of the webmaster.
Unfortunatley thats treading on the toes of hosting other peoples copywritten work.

exactly why "We are currently discussing what the policy for linking to remote images." and not just doing this blindly.

Offline Starforce2

• Bridge Commander Ambassador
  • Commander
    • Nightsoft SFC File Dump
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2004, 12:30:07 pm »
good grief. You couldn't PM  him  privatley about the issue with the link (maybe it was an honest mistake?) rather than send the thread down the crapper?

As for the array, I guess It would be nice to have a decent model of it, if for no other reason than to have a decent model.