Topic: Got Nero and it doesnt seem to make a 'good' enough copy.  (Read 1419 times)

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
Got Nero and it doesnt seem to make a 'good' enough copy.
« on: October 08, 2004, 03:57:50 am »
Bought Daw of War for the PC and I used Nero to make a backup but when I tested to see if it worked, instead of the DoW program loading a window came up and said "Please insert original disc instead of a backup. See www.securom.com/copy for more details."

I dont know about u guys, but I have 3x kids and the only way to make sure Im not buying new DVD and CD's all the time is by backing them up. I'm still quite shocked at how Shrek and Finding Nemo still play despite the ton of pits and scratches on the disc.

What program do I need so that I get a perfect copy?

Offline FPF-SCM_TraceyG_XC

• Empress of the Empire
  • Commander
Re: Got Nero and it doesnt seem to make a 'good' enough copy.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2004, 04:22:56 am »
The disc is copy protected. Firstly, you need to determine which copy protection method is being used to on the CD, then use a program like http://www.alcohol-soft.com/ to make a backup.

This is not advocating the use of the above to make illegal copies, but only as a backup of your original CDs.

If you do a search in http://www.google.com , you should be able to find a reference to the copy protection it uses, and no doubt other programs aside from the one above that can make the copies. I have not used the above program myself, but its reputed to be able to make perfect backup copies.
Captain FPF-TraceyG, Federation Protection Fleet

SFC2.net Admin member
SFC3.net Admin member
Voting member of the DGA
Member of XenoCorp, Squadron Commodore

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2004, 06:39:21 am »
Tracey, got that and after 3x junked CDR copies I stopped. Got mad. Went on the internet and did some research.

Apparently, I have a right as a legal owner of this program to make a copy for my personal use only, and that I cant sell rent or give away the copy and that I must destroy the copy should I sell the game.

But Sony is trying to f*ck me with their Securom copy protection bullsh*t. So I found a .exe hack on the net and replaced the one I have with it and now I dont need the CD in the drive to use it. That lowers the chance of it getting scratched in continuous CD tray swaps. So that will work for now.

But I want to copy it, damnit... I'll have to search more. Dunno if that alcohol 120% will do it, I couldnt get it to work.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2004, 07:03:11 am »
ClonyXXL?

Offline likkerpig

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2004, 11:01:24 am »
I had the same error message Dizzy, with my original cd!
Spent a lot of time sharing e-mails with THQ and securom. Trying different fixes, sending them diagnostic outputs. Then they just stopped talking to me.
I did the same solution you did. I am morally opposed to no-CD hacks in general, but I am also morally opposed to paying $50 for a game I can't play.
A thought, could you make a copy of the program with the no-CD incorporated? Then you would have a fully functional backup.

"Atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby."

Offline Hexx

• Sexy Shoeless Lyran God Of War
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2004, 04:11:14 pm »
I don't know if it's true, but I've also heard getting a CD "crack" for copyprotection can depend on the burner you use.
Some can burn through copy protectiion,some can't.
Courageously Protesting "Lyran Pelt Day"

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2004, 06:26:20 pm »
Damn, bro. That sucked. Dawn of war turned out to be a disapointment anyway. The game isnt as tactical as I'd have liked it to be in regards to the table top game, it has that damned build this to get that RTS fomula in it... sucks. That and the terrain is able to be ignored by weapons fire. Passes right thru it. Apparently terrain only limits movement. It's no SFC, cept in regards to its unfinished and unpatched state.

Likker, way I see it is I think you can go ahead and load the game with backup copies. Then just take the .exe hack to where u dont need the CD in the drive to play it and it should work fine, problem solved. This method still doesnt allow you a straight laced backup of the program... But oh well.

I'm still looking for a way to hack the securom copy protection. The .exe hack is the only thing I can find, but I havent tested fully wether u can load the game from a copy of the 3 discs and then use the .exe hack to play it. I loaded it with original discs and then just used the .exe hack...

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2004, 07:49:29 pm »
Rather than copying the CDs I am using a program called GameDrive to make a virtual copy on the hard disk and simulate a CD Rom.  They seem to keep updating it to handle newer copy protection.

Link to site
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Wraith 413

• Lt.
  • Alliance Trooper
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2004, 04:34:50 pm »
 It's not the burning program you're using that is giving you the bad back-ups. It's the CD/DVD burner and the firmware. Some can read the copyright protection, others can't.  Depends on how old your burner is,too. Try either of these sites to get more info,
 http://www.cdrinfo.com/
http://www.cdrlabs.com/

They can also direct you to sites for hacked firmware that may help with making back-ups.

Wraith 413