Topic: TOS SEASONS 1, 2, & 3 AVAILABLE FOR PREORDER ON AMAZON.COM!!!  (Read 2907 times)

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
TOS SEASONS 1, 2, & 3 AVAILABLE FOR PREORDER ON AMAZON.COM!!!
« on: August 16, 2004, 10:10:23 pm »
I usually don't like mass-mailings, but hey, this one from Amazon.com I didn't mind!

Offline KBF-Crim

• 1st Deacon ,Church of Taldren
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
Re: TOS SEASONS 1, 2, & 3 AVAILABLE FOR PREORDER ON AMAZON.COM!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2004, 01:07:42 am »
On DVD?...how much? :)

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2004, 01:09:08 pm »
If you preorder (now, I suppose), it's $84.99 for season 1 WITH FREE SHIPPING!

Seasons 2 and 3 both are just a tad more at $90.99, I think.

I was dumb enough to have bought about six of the two eps per disc packages over the years.

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2004, 10:11:16 am »
Okay, I actually was able to get the set at Costco several days ago.

Only last night was I able to actually pop one into the DVD player.  I only had time to watch one episode, so I chose "Mudd's Women" since I haven't seen that one in quite a while.

Now, if anyone else has this First Season set and has seen any of the episodes, is the color just a little faded?

The images otherwise do seem to be about as good as I remember them to be, all except the colors, especially the flesh tones.  The uniform and clothing colors, however, do look right, though.

Maybe it's just the one episode.  I have yet to see anymore of the set... maybe tonight...

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2004, 06:55:41 am »
i have it here in a shop for $128.27 USD for season 1, and for season 2 its $129.12 USD, did you know that the are made in mexico?.

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2004, 12:30:56 pm »
Don K, where is "here"?

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2004, 03:04:06 pm »
in the province of  quebec or go check www.archambault.ca and look for startrek.

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2004, 03:41:46 pm »
Don Karnage, www.amazon.com has it for around $111 CAN ($85 US),
but I don't know if any taxes or such apply, or is shipping is not free to where you are.

Archambault's price seems just a little high.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2004, 05:11:37 pm »
yea but if you go to the shop you don't have to pay for the shipping, if you buy it at amazon you have to pay for the shipping and wait untill you received it, i can pay a little more if i have it right now and not to have to wait for the shipping and i know that i will get them in good condition, if there a problem i can go to the shop and get another instead of having to contact amazon wait for a respond, send it back, wait for them to send another (if the have it on stock).  sometime its worth to pay a little much and have a good service.

i might buy the DVD or try to find them with bittorent.

Offline FPF-SCM_TraceyG_XC

• Empress of the Empire
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2004, 02:12:44 am »
Off the shelf, Season 1 Star Trek the Original Series, available in Australia, for 120 A$. That includes GST, and of course you can watch them as soon as you get home.
Captain FPF-TraceyG, Federation Protection Fleet

SFC2.net Admin member
SFC3.net Admin member
Voting member of the DGA
Member of XenoCorp, Squadron Commodore

Offline Cleaven

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2004, 04:16:54 am »
Off the shelf, Season 1 Star Trek the Original Series, available in Australia, for 120 A$. That includes GST, and of course you can watch them as soon as you get home.

Yep A$118 at Big W. Why does Sanity want A$155? Maybe it's a test.

Not sure I can be bothered, but as you are the Doc, can you run an AI standard patrol in 2 minutes in a KRC? If so, there is no problem and I am utterly wrong. If you cannot, then the KRC is a worse ship for AI missions than ones I know can.

Offline FPF-SCM_TraceyG_XC

• Empress of the Empire
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2004, 08:51:59 am »
I actually paid 129 A$ buying it from JB Hi-Fi, but thats because the store is only 2 minutes away and I couldnt be bothered driving for an hour in traffic to save a few bucks that would go on petrol anyway lol.
Captain FPF-TraceyG, Federation Protection Fleet

SFC2.net Admin member
SFC3.net Admin member
Voting member of the DGA
Member of XenoCorp, Squadron Commodore

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2004, 07:15:22 pm »
I often forget that factor when I go fill my tank and go miles out of my way because some guy has it two cents cheaper per gallon.

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2004, 03:20:05 pm »
Well, I now have season 1 of TOS and gone through it.  For those who watched it, here's a little trivia question...

What's Kirk's brother's name...and at least (he may have more) how many nephews does Kirk have?
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline theSea

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2004, 04:23:49 pm »
Mmmmm TOS season 1 in all of it's uncut retro glory!  I feel like I've died and gone to heaven...

Yes the colors do seem a bit washed out - but I think maybe that's how they were supposed to look and we've been seeing bad copies all these years.   IIRC these are the 'restored' episodes that sci-fi aired a few years back - taken from the original negatives.

Amazing what you can pick out on the DVD - seams in Spock's ears, zippers on tunics in "Where No Man Has Gone Before.." and red splotches painted on the plants in "Shore Leave."  Not to mention the eye shadow on the 'Evil' Kirk in "the Enemy Within." Also noticing that the same location was used in "This Side of Paradise" and "Shore Leave."  Likewise the same ridge keeps turning up in "Arena," "Shore Leave" and  "The Alternative Factor."

Picking out every shot that uses the Enterprise model from the second pilot as opposed to the production version... you build the Polar Light's kit and suddenly these things stand out.  Don't get me started on the "oxygen-hydrogen" atmosphere of the planet in  "The Alternative Factor" (anyone got a match?)

If it sounds like I'm nitpicking... well it's just nice to be seeing them.  Sure there are flaws - the stars visable through the darker parts of the planet Gothos when it's chasing the Enterprise... the absolutely miserable matte of the big E against the blue sky in "Tomorrow is Yesterday" but I love being able to notice the tiniest details.  The filter shots when they cut to a pretty lady, the keylights on Shatner's eyes, the fisheye lense on Kor at the end of "Errand of Mercy."

Nice to hear Nichelle singing in "Charlie X" and "the Naked Time" after all these years of having those scenes cut to make room for more comercials.  I never picked up on just how much Janice Rand there was at the begining of season 1, or how they rotated a pile of extras through the Helm and Navigation stations.... just so used to Sulu and Chekov.  Definitely never noticed how often you can see the colored undies that go with the ladies miniskirt outfits <evil grin>

And as God is my witness I never twigged to the fact that Spock started out as a "Vulcanian" before.  Anyone else notice the reference to 'the Vulcanian campaign' in "Court Martial" or the reference to Vulcanians as 'a conquered race' in (I think) "Corbomite Manuver?"   Seems the first season milleaux isn't necessarily as 'canon' as we'd thought... heck I don't think they'd settled on 'United Federation of Planets' until "Taste of Armageddon."  Definitely no 'story arc' or 'series bible' then - just a bunch of (mostly) talented writers piecing things together as they went along.

Yup anyone who remembers ol' theSea knows I'm a TOS purist and I'm finally freebasing the real, uncut sh*t.  Of course, we'll see if I'm still riding this high when season 3 hits and "...WE HAVE TO FIND SPOCK'S BRAIN!!!"

pax

theSea

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2004, 07:28:56 pm »
Wow, I didn't notice the Vulcanian thing.  I'll have to watch those episodes again!  I did notice the colored underwear, or what appears to be colored underwear.  Uhura's skirt seems to ride up a little high sometimes as well. 

Kirk always has eye shadow on I think, and it looks like mascara as well sometimes.  They just had different colors in different episodes, the evil Kirk had a darker shade I believe.

I didn't notice the stuff about the Enterprise...you mean there are noticeable differences in the models?!  Tell me how I can tell the difference!  I think it would be cool to be able to be able to tell that it was a different model than the one in another episode and so on!
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2004, 08:34:31 pm »
Welcome back, the Sea!  I don't think I've seen your handle since the very early days of Taldren's forums or the old Interplay ones.

Anyhow, come on now!  Don't you see the stars through planet "closeups" in SFC, at least in SFC 1?

See how the games are so faithful to the show?

(You know, I"ve avoided watching my favorite eps in the DVD, as I want to see some of the ones I haven't seen in a while.  I really can't wait 'til I have seasons 2 and 3 in my hands.)