Topic: Of interest to UI modders - check this thread.  (Read 1268 times)

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
Of interest to UI modders - check this thread.
« on: August 14, 2004, 04:17:37 am »
http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163343938.30.html

Bill Fisher, the founder and president of Quicksilver has popped by.  I'll let him introduce himself in his own words:

It's good to see so much continuing interest in Starfleet Command.

Let me introduce myself. My name is Bill Fisher. I'm the founder and president of Quicksilver Software, Inc. We're the folks who started the Starfleet Command project, working in collaboration with Interplay to release the initial version of the game.

I've received requests from a few fans asking about the source code. I have also been contacted by Ken Yeast at Taldren, and attempted to reply to him, but found that the email bounced. Since there's so much interest, I decided to come here and discuss the source code issues -- and anything else -- with everyone on the board. You can thank your friend Bonk for sending the very diplomatic email that encouraged me to write.

His first post is about 3/4's of the page down. Of particular interest to us, of course, would be a way to read/write to sprites.q3 for changing UIs in SFC.. along with basic core access to SFC itself.

I'd suggest swinging by that thread and inputting positively on it.. we may have the oppurtunity to encourage a developer through our talks to give us a tool that would allow us modding access to something previously untouchable.  :)
..ooOOoo..totally useless information..ooOOoo..

Mare Imbrium Shipyards - http://mareimbrium.webhop.net

Don't bother checking out my website for the most recent updates, because I've
been too lazy to update it!  Check Battleclinic!

Offline IncursionX22

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: Of interest to UI modders - check this thread.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2004, 04:57:53 am »
WOW! Thanks for posting this. I want that code so bad... Just image the things we could do  ;D
-IncursionX22

Offline Centurus

• Old Mad Man Making Ship Again....Kinda?
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2004, 10:29:10 pm »
Imagine.  Someone could actually create an SFC4!!!!
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2004, 10:41:05 pm »
Would not hold my breath for SFC4 as that would require alot of time/money to invest to create it.

But what it does mean is that utilities that the designers have can be modified for general use and supplied to the gaming community. That in itself is a major improvement, for the games that we all liked the most, the SFC1-2 OP ones. One of the major draw backs to the game was the lack of being able to change a UI for the OP and less games. With that addition alone will bring a huge boost, ability to make mods with new ships, to the games that will add life. I can not tell you how many modders wanted that ability, in fact that was so requested it actually made it into sfc 3, because it would add so much customization in a mod.

EAW and OP were the games that have kept most of us around and have never stopped being played. Add SFC 1 to that list as well if that utillity gets created.
People always said they wanted the government to listen to them and now the government is listening, taking notes and names...and coming to see you soon!

America-Not the land of the free anymore...
 Its the land of the freeloaders

Remember the axiom of big government bureaucrats: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. When, finally, under the crushing weight of taxes and regulation, it stops moving, subsidize it.

Offline NannerSlug

• Master of the "Magic Photon"
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • SFC3.Net
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2004, 11:13:11 pm »
you would some extra stuff to play with the sprites.q3 plus a whole lot of stuff in addition to that.. and a script to compile it.

its good to see this, but someone would need to create some tools.
"A Republican thinks every day is July 4th. A Democrat thinks every day is April 15th." - Ronald Reagan

Offline Reverend

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2004, 02:38:03 pm »
With that access, could there be....

...extra playable races, or just more race period?
....and extra interfacae, so I drivea shuttle on a Mission?
.....the onyl one I'd really want.... continuous space, with a droppable/retractable HUD Hex Map