Topic: Atolm's "The Enterprise that could have been"  (Read 9712 times)

Offline IncursionX22

• Lt. Junior Grade
Atolm's "The Enterprise that could have been"
« on: July 27, 2004, 11:21:58 pm »

-IncursionX22

Offline Terradyhne

• Lt.
    • Terradyhne-yards
Re: Atolm's "The Enterprise that could have been"
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 03:41:38 am »
this original design was ever bad and your textures need a bit more work and detail

"there will be no better worlds with human presence as mankind tends to ignorance, intolerance and selfishness, despite they tell you about themselves"

Offline IncursionX22

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 03:47:35 am »
This is Atolm's mesh and textures. He just asked me to post it for him because he is so busy. I think he said he was still planning on putting a reg and stuff on them for more detail.
-IncursionX22

Offline Azel

• Captain
  • Read Only
  • Lt.
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 11:37:24 am »
this original design was ever bad and your textures need a bit more work and detail
Aye I agree...but for now she is DL-able and playable(besides...no-one has ever done her to my knowledge...and that's a shame...as it is a piece of Trek history and a design from a Great Man)...and Tera, If you want I could send it to you and you could tweak her :)
All Things End

Offline Captain Pierce

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2004, 01:18:28 pm »
Well, the models been made at least once already that I know of, but not for SFC.  ;)  A friend of mine made it, and then TheStressPuppy textured it (in a more TOS style) for his Homeworld mod:

It may make its way into SFC at some point, though...  :)

For those that don't know this ship, it was designed by Ralph McQuarrie (better known these days for his work on Star Wars) around 1975 for a Trek film called "Planet of the Titans" that Paramount was considering making on the cheap in England.  A couple of study models were made, and they made it on-screen at least twice--first in Spacedock in Star Trek III, and then at Qualor II in TNG "Unification."
Trekmods SFC/BC/Nexus forum

"Don't forget the original series, or dismiss it as obsolete. You owe it everything."  --Shane Johnson, author of Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise

Offline Azel

• Captain
  • Read Only
  • Lt.
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2004, 01:24:58 pm »
Well, the models been made at least once already that I know of, but not for SFC.  ;)  A friend of mine made it, and then TheStressPuppy textured it (in a more TOS style) for his Homeworld mod:

It may make its way into SFC at some point, though...  :)

For those that don't know this ship, it was designed by Ralph McQuarrie (better known these days for his work on Star Wars) around 1975 for a Trek film called "Planet of the Titans" that Paramount was considering making on the cheap in England.  A couple of study models were made, and they made it on-screen at least twice--first in Spacedock in Star Trek III, and then at Qualor II in TNG "Unification."
Nice!!! Hope that Gets Converted too!!!
but the ship has been heavily altered for TOS as oposed to TMP (not a bad thing...just an observation :) )
Also on an interesting note...RQ designed this ship Before his work on Star Wars, on the contrary to popular belief that the ship was designed after...So one could say that the Star Destroyer was a "rip off" of this design...lol
All Things End

Offline Captain Pierce

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2004, 05:00:51 pm »
but the ship has been heavily altered for TOS as oposed to TMP (not a bad thing...just an observation :) )
Also on an interesting note...RQ designed this ship Before his work on Star Wars, on the contrary to popular belief that the ship was designed after...So one could say that the Star Destroyer was a "rip off" of this design...lol

Right on both counts.  :D  Should have mentioned in the first post that we pre-TOS'd her a bit, since we're theorizing that she's a precursor to the Constitution-class, rather than a successor as originally intended.

"Don't forget the original series, or dismiss it as obsolete. You owe it everything."  --Shane Johnson, author of Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise

Offline Azel

• Captain
  • Read Only
  • Lt.
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2004, 08:16:15 pm »

Right on both counts.  :D  Should have mentioned in the first post that we pre-TOS'd her a bit, since we're theorizing that she's a precursor to the Constitution-class, rather than a successor as originally intended.
Ever think about doing that awesome asteroid Stardock...from the conceptual art aswell???
All Things End

Offline Captain Pierce

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2004, 08:23:02 pm »
Not familiar with it that I can recall...  linkage?  :)

Offline Dawntreader

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Captain Maverick, USS Dawntreader
    • Dawntreader Shipyard
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2004, 08:52:34 pm »
I would really like to see the homeworld version converted to SFC.  Make a good carrier it would.
Dawntreader Shipyard
"Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east."
-'Voyage of The Dawn Treader' C.S.Lewis

Offline Azel

• Captain
  • Read Only
  • Lt.
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2004, 09:37:56 pm »
I would really like to see the homeworld version converted to SFC.  Make a good carrier it would.
I'll see what I can do... :)
Also there is an updated version...I am just waiting on my mate Incursion for some lightmaps :)
All Things End

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2004, 11:07:12 pm »
First off- Atolm, where can I d/l this model?  It's an interesting design, especially nice looking in the renders here.

Second, AtraHasis made something similar a long time ago; he called it the U.S.S. Korolev.  It looked strikingly similar to this ship.

Offline Azel

• Captain
  • Read Only
  • Lt.
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2004, 02:31:55 pm »
First off- Atolm, where can I d/l this model?  It's an interesting design, especially nice looking in the renders here.

Second, AtraHasis made something similar a long time ago; he called it the U.S.S. Korolev.  It looked strikingly similar to this ship.
I should have her up by tonight If I am lucky :)
All Things End

Offline Azel

• Captain
  • Read Only
  • Lt.
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2004, 05:33:17 pm »

Special Thanks go to Incursion for the Lightmaps and help on the Textures...and as always to WZ for the Host'n(even though I know how much he hates this design  ::) )
THANKS!!!
and the Zip:
http://www.nightsoft.net/omega//drs/downloads/atolm/Phase2.zip
All Things End

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2004, 11:42:19 pm »
Thanks man! Cool looking model and your texturing is improving quite nicely. It'll make a nice CV, IMO. Still needs regs though, if you (or someone else?) want to do it.
If Romulans aren't cowards, then why do they taste like chicken?

Offline IncursionX22

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2004, 01:36:39 am »
Still needs regs though, if you (or someone else?) want to do it.

We were messing with that earlier today. In order to have them work properly though, big chunks of the ship need totally new UV mapping. While it does look nice, it isn't that much of a difference. The reg on the actual design is only "NCC-1701" really small on the right side of the saucer. It's so small you wouldn't see that while your flying it ingame anyways. :)

......Besides redoing the UV Map would sooooo suck lol
-IncursionX22

Offline Azel

• Captain
  • Read Only
  • Lt.
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2004, 07:54:35 am »
Still needs regs though, if you (or someone else?) want to do it.

We were messing with that earlier today. In order to have them work properly though, big chunks of the ship need totally new UV mapping. While it does look nice, it isn't that much of a difference. The reg on the actual design is only "NCC-1701" really small on the right side of the saucer. It's so small you wouldn't see that while your flying it ingame anyways. :)

......Besides redoing the UV Map would sooooo suck lol
Yeap...LOL
All Things End

Offline USS Mariner

• Heavy Cruiser, NCC-1712
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2004, 09:47:36 am »
Hey Azel, will you make the other McQuarrie Design too (the one with the large saucer and shorter engineering hull?) That would look great too.
"Improve a mechanical device and you may double productivity. But improve man, you gain a thousandfold." - Khan

Steam: Mariner1712

Offline Azel

• Captain
  • Read Only
  • Lt.
  • Captain
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2004, 10:06:53 am »
Hey Azel, will you make the other McQuarrie Design too (the one with the large saucer and shorter engineering hull?) That would look great too.
I had planned on it mate :)
Many people do not like the designs and think of them as not Trek...but in reality it IS very Trek, why...because as with all designs and concepts for Star Trek, they where made/designed with Trek in mind...If this ship design had come to fruition it would have been excepted(possibly grudgingly like the Galaxy in her first debut..or the sovy and the Excelsior in theirs)...It was that close.
So to say that something is not "trek enough" is in my opinion BS...because anything can be trek....I mean hell the Connie refit could have been that very Galaxy class concept design that Andy Probert design just before doing the refit connie of Jefferies work...Thats how far back the Galaxy class design concept has been around.
So by saying that something is Not Trek or Trek enough is a slap in the face towards every artist that has busted their a$$ trying to design something for Star Trek as they had Star Trek in mind when they were disigning their concepts.
If you don't like a particular idea/ideas thats cool...but don't say that its not Trek
Hell I hated Voyager... all of it practically. And love Enterprise...but both ARE Trek.

Ok enough Ranting by me... LOL
All Things End

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2004, 10:34:43 am »
I had planned on it mate :)
Many people do not like the designs and think of them as not Trek...but in reality it IS very Trek, why...because as with all designs and concepts for Star Trek, they where made/designed with Trek in mind...If this ship design had come to fruition it would have been excepted(possibly grudgingly like the Galaxy in her first debut..or the sovy and the Excelsior in theirs)...It was that close.
So to say that something is not "trek enough" is in my opinion BS...because anything can be trek....I mean hell the Connie refit could have been that very Galaxy class concept design that Andy Probert design just before doing the refit connie of Jefferies work...Thats how far back the Galaxy class design concept has been around.
So by saying that something is Not Trek or Trek enough is a slap in the face towards every artist that has busted their a$$ trying to design something for Star Trek as they had Star Trek in mind when they were disigning their concepts.
If you don't like a particular idea/ideas thats cool...but don't say that its not Trek
Hell I hated Voyager... all of it practically. And love Enterprise...but both ARE Trek.

Ok enough Ranting by me... LOL

HERE HERE!!

ill admit im not a fan of this design, but that doesnt mean i would deny that it is part of trek.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Core

• The oracle of doom and suffering in sight of the perfect future
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • the future of the federation is in it's diversity
    • Core Ships Gallery
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2004, 01:16:31 pm »
the first time iv seen this was on the schematic database quite a wile ago so then iv seen it in the first trial runs on homeworld no I'm seeing it her and you know what i like  it  ;D

And then their was a scream like no other in the universe

Core Ships Gallery - http://gallery80344.fotopic.net/

Offline Azel

• Captain
  • Read Only
  • Lt.
  • Captain
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2004, 07:52:16 pm »
the first time iv seen this was on the schematic database quite a wile ago so then iv seen it in the first trial runs on homeworld no I'm seeing it her and you know what i like  it  ;D
Thanks mates...I will have the version 2 up in a few
All Things End

Offline IncursionX22

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2004, 02:57:23 pm »
Version 2

-IncursionX22

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2004, 06:02:28 pm »
LINK?!!

Offline Azel

• Captain
  • Read Only
  • Lt.
  • Captain
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2004, 10:53:26 pm »
All Things End

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2004, 09:57:14 pm »
Now that's service!  May all uploads to d/l sites be that fast!
Thanks, guys.

Offline Azel

• Captain
  • Read Only
  • Lt.
  • Captain
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2004, 12:32:02 am »
Now that's service!  May all uploads to d/l sites be that fast!
Thanks, guys.
Glad you like her mate
She is to scale with the First one so this would be a CA to the MK1( which would be a BC )
All Things End