Topic: Model Request: The V'ger Vessel  (Read 3592 times)

Offline WillDecker

• Commander of the U.S.S. Khambatta NCC-7101
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • The Khambatta Project
Model Request: The V'ger Vessel
« on: July 27, 2004, 07:20:46 pm »
I have a request for a model and if anyone is interested in making it a reality. I was wondering if anyone would be able to make a model of the V'ger vessel itself. I have tried countless attempts using reference photos, scenes from the movies, etc. I am just wondering if someone could build it?
Where the universe ends, our dream begins. Somewhere beyond the dark... (Ilia's Theme ST:TMP/U.S.S. Khambatta Motto)

Offline Magnum357

• Lt.
Re: Model Request: The V'ger Vessel
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 03:06:16 am »
You've got to be kidding!!!  That this is friggen huge!  Isn't it the size of a Planet?  I geuss someone could make it for SFC in the game, but their so much to that thing I would hate to see how many .bmp's it would take to texture it.   :P
"I sure am glad I like SFB!" - Magnum357 (me)

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 03:35:39 am »
I believe Atra made the Vger cloud model and it's over at SFU

ModelsPlease, resident "Model Junkie" recovering from a tragic crayon sharpener accident.

Offline S33K100

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Brutal, savage, uncivilised, treacherous.
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 07:52:24 am »
V'gers a ship not a cloud, and it's actually only a couple of kilometres long, I seen a pic of it on a size comparison of loads of different SF ships, Babylons 5, ST, SW, BG, different kinds of anime stuff, and some real life things to compare, it's actually pretty reserved compared to some of the ridiculously big SW stuff. Oh BTW the cloud was 2AUs in diameter, that's twice the distance between the earth and the sun across. Back in '79 they weren't quite up on their measurements and it's size before the current edit was 82AUs in diameter!
If I determine the enemy's disposition of forces while I have no perceptible form, I can concentrate my forces while the enemy is fragmented. The pinnacle of military deployment approaches the formless: if it is formless, then the deepest spy cannot discern it, nor the wise make plans against it.

Sun Tzu 'The Art of War'.

S33K100: formerly Marauth

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2004, 09:36:54 am »

Thats V'Gers actual ship.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Azel

• Captain
  • Read Only
  • Lt.
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2004, 11:52:29 am »

Thats V'Gers actual ship.
I am pretty sure that I can build it...but I have some projects I am currently in the middle of...But I can do it
All Things End

Offline KtHyla

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • Phoenix Experimental Shipyards
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2004, 09:02:49 pm »
Back in '79 they weren't quite up on their measurements
They still aren't, if the Klingon Homeworld is only 4 days away from Earth at warp 4! ;)

V'Ger was brought up in KA a long time ago, but there were the ususal size vs detail probems, plus the problem of making a believable cloud around it with the dated Klingon Aacademy engine.

Offline Magnum357

• Lt.
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2004, 01:48:21 am »
God!  Just looking at that ship makes me scared.   :o 

As for it looking like a TOS Borg.  Well, I read once that the Borg from TNG where inspired by this story when they wrote it.  I highly doubt that this is a borg ship, just my opinion though.

Did they ever explain why the ship had a huge 2AU cloud around it anyway?  Did it attract a sh*t load of space dust/matter? 
"I sure am glad I like SFB!" - Magnum357 (me)

Offline Core

• The oracle of doom and suffering in sight of the perfect future
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • the future of the federation is in it's diversity
    • Core Ships Gallery
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2004, 03:34:27 am »
no just assimilated every thing in sight

And then their was a scream like no other in the universe

Core Ships Gallery - http://gallery80344.fotopic.net/

Offline RBM

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2004, 06:33:26 pm »
V'gers a ship not a cloud, and it's actually only a couple of kilometres long,
V'ger was 78 kilometers long, roughly the same size as Long Island.
Oh BTW the cloud was 2AUs in diameter, that's twice the distance between the earth and the sun across. Back in '79 they weren't quite up on their measurements and it's size before the current edit was 82AUs in diameter!
They were well up on their measurements in 1979. The 82 AU number conveys V'ger's mind-boggling speed and power. It was Robert Wise who retroactively altered Gene Roddenberry's decision regarding the cloud's size in his hit-and-miss DE-DVD edit.

Offline S33K100

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Brutal, savage, uncivilised, treacherous.
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2004, 09:17:46 pm »
No they weren't really up on their measurements, having an 82AU cloud around you doesn't convey speed, also the reason for the change was that an 82AU cloud wouldn't fit inside the solar system, the cloud dissipated after that so, erm, yeah... Really TMP was Wise's film, not Roddenberry's he didn't write it, Roddenberry by the time of the films was just interfering with the story-writers cause he thought he knew better than everyone else.

@ Magnum, the cloud BTW was some kind of power field generated by the ship, when the science station saw how powerfull the field was they were shocked at the power the ship must have had.
If I determine the enemy's disposition of forces while I have no perceptible form, I can concentrate my forces while the enemy is fragmented. The pinnacle of military deployment approaches the formless: if it is formless, then the deepest spy cannot discern it, nor the wise make plans against it.

Sun Tzu 'The Art of War'.

S33K100: formerly Marauth

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2004, 09:40:48 pm »
If you're looking for good shots of this ship, try these screencaps over at Trek Pulse to get a bit more of the surface details.

"Chaos Theory, Part II" now available.