Topic: Wicked Zombie  (Read 1486 times)

Offline markyd

• Lt. Commander
Wicked Zombie
« on: August 03, 2004, 08:00:21 am »
Have you ever done any tutorials....?

I have a few questions if you dont mind.... What do you use to create hull textures PS7? are they kitbashed or made from complete scratch???

The TOS Fed font with the red outline how do you create this???

Also does ANYONE have any decent links to tutorials for hull plating and stuff like this... I am always learning and when I try to create fed hulls from scratch they suck!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

Thanks ;D

Offline Wicked Zombie

• His Unholiness
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • Demon Renegade Studios
Re: Wicked Zombie
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 07:15:07 pm »
I never really bother with tutorials - teaching isn't exactly my strong point. I use Paint Shop Pro instead of Photoshop but they're both similar as far as options and results go.

My hull textures are scratch built since my methods wouldn't allow for kitbashing other maps without a whole lot of work. Most of the details (and in some cases even the basic patterns) are 'hand' drawn. The draw tool in PSP is essential since 90% of the work stems from that. Another suggestion is to keep all the texture parts in separate layers (i.e., the aztec in one layer, the phasers in another, windows, etc.), so you can alter individual details without touching the rest.

A useful PSP (I think it works with photoshop too, though PS should have something similar built in already) plugin for making saucer aztecs is "MuRa's Meister Pole Transform" (should be able to find it with a google search). Basically it turns a 'flat/square' aztec pattern into a circular/saucer style pattern with little effort involved.

I don't know about photoshop, but adding the red line to TMP registries in PSP is easy, as long as it's a separate layer of course. The "cutout" and "drop shadow" options normally handle that. The 'stroke/outline/whatever' option in the text menu can also work, but some fonts don't cooperate too well with it.
DRS Forums
Klingon Texture Tutorial - Aztec Summary

Reports, incredible as they may seem, are not the results of mass hysteria...

Offline markyd

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 07:30:15 pm »
Excellent.... thats pretty mutch what I needed to know... thanks WZ!!! ;D

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 11:22:07 pm »
Photoshop 7 (dunno about the others) has something like your pole-plugin. Its a filter called Polar Co-Ordinates...it basically does the same thing.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline markyd

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2004, 09:06:43 am »
Photoshop 7 (dunno about the others) has something like your pole-plugin. Its a filter called Polar Co-Ordinates...it basically does the same thing.

Thanks man..... was hoping to find somthing simular for Photoshop    ;D

Offline Sandman3D

• Lt. Commander
  • Outalance Shipyards
    • SEDL
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2004, 11:36:07 am »
Unfortunately, texturing is the lost child when it comes to tuts. I started making one, but all the info that might be needed makes it kinda impractical. We all have our own style, and trying to teach it is tough. The way a lot of us learned is to find a mentor here that you can hook up with on IM as you're doing it.

Like WZ said, layers are your best friend. ;D
"Proudly you gathered, rank on rank to war,
As you heard God's message from afar;
All you had hoped for, all you had, you gave
To save mankind-yourself you scorned to save."

Offline markyd

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2004, 01:24:12 pm »
 ;D

Layers eh....... Yeah they are at that.... its just fed style hull plating that I cant seem to get to grips with at the moment.. ;)

Thanks Guys ;D

Offline The Pelican

• DomWars Creator
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • Dominion Wars
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2004, 11:10:43 am »
In a folder called "plugins" - create it if there is not one there already.

Most PSP plugins should work with Photoshop as well (not all, but in most cases).

Offline markyd

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2004, 01:54:36 pm »
In a folder called "plugins" - create it if there is not one there already.

Most PSP plugins should work with Photoshop as well (not all, but in most cases).

You learn somthing new every day... thanks Pel... ;D