Topic: Not Scotty!  (Read 1458 times)

Offline Gambler

• Lt. Commander
  • Don't bet on it
Not Scotty!
« on: July 02, 2004, 07:02:47 pm »
http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-tv.html?2004-07/02/09.45.tv
Doohan Battles Alzheimer's

Original Star Trek star James Doohan (Scotty) is battling Alzheimer's disease, TV Guide Online reported. Doohan's wife, Wende, broke the news in Britain's Daily Record newspaper, the site reported.

"It is hard for him to do interviews, because the more he starts searching for the words, the more frustrated he gets," she reportedly told the newspaper. "With Jimmy, it's mostly the loss of words. He still recognizes everybody. And there are times when he is sharp as a tack."

The 84-year-old Doohan also suffers from Parkinson's disease and diabetes. He is slated to receive a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame later this month, the site reported.

What a bummer.
I'm a Man
But I can change
If I have to
I guess

WWJKD - What Would Jim Kirk Do

I thank God I grew up in an age when a kid could still play with things that could put his eye out.

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
Re: Not Scotty!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2004, 07:17:25 pm »
Well, there is a bright side...

Since he was 13 he has been preforming, and this man has be beloved on both stage and screen by millions in the U.S. andunder Her Majesty's dominion. He has been an accomplished theater actor, has had one of the most successfu and recognizablel characters in TV history, and fathered a child in his 60's. I have also read that he held the rank of Captian the Royal Canadian Army, was wounded in the Normandy invasion, and recovered to serve as a pilot/observer in the Royal Canadian Air Force.

He has lead a full and happy life, acomplishing easily as much in his 84 years as much as any three men wish that they could.

Even Scotty could not have accomplished more with the help of the best of script writers.

God bless him.

Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline Sethan

• Justiciar
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2004, 10:17:35 pm »
My wife and I met James Doohan a few years ago at a book signing.

It was obvious even then that he had Alzheimers.  My wife and I talked about it afterwards.

You know it is bad when people who have never met you before can tell.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. --Aristotle

Ravok

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2004, 01:38:37 am »
 I helped my Mother take care of my 98 year old Grand Mother who had it.

She was one of the most inteligent people i have ever met. It was horrifying to watch her slip away bit by bit, Every day. :(

Mrs Doohan has my deepest sympathies. :( :(

Offline Just plain old Punisher

• Vice Admiral
  • I'm not facist, I just like wearing jackboots
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2004, 02:52:43 am »
In my mind Mr Doohan died before all this. Maybe unfair, but for me he'll always be the guy down in the engine room that Capt. Kirk called for more power.

It may sound silly, but scotty's the reason why I became an engineer. He fixed things. He didn't concern himself with politics, or infighting...and while he may have understood politics he certainly didn't like them. When I was a kid I didn't wanna be an astronaut, or a firefighter, or even a soldier. I wanted to be the guy that fixed stuff.

So from one engineer to the best one of them all...while some broken things cannot be fixed, we will never stop trying.

"Sex is a lot like pizza.  If you're not careful you can blister your tongue". -Dracho

Offline Merlinfmct87

• When I am dead, I hope it is said, 'His sins were scarlet and his books were read'. --Hillaire Belloc
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Riding Headfirst into a Hurricane...
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2004, 03:46:23 am »
Punisher is very true, James Doohan was dead before this happened.

The mad died with the Alzheimer diagnosis.

He will be missed. He changed the world for the better.

Merlin
Learned the Heart's Filthy Lesson from Joshua Watcher.

The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world own shame.
-Oscar Wilde

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'
-Bob Newhart

Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent.
-Victor Hugo

He Took it all too far..but boy could he play guitar
-David Bowie, Ziggy Stardust

Offline S'Raek

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2004, 06:56:06 am »
This is very sad news.  I have never had the honor of meeting Mr. Doohan but he was always one of my favorite ST characters.   :(

Veritas vos Liberabit -- Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis

Offline Chris SI

• Gone again
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2004, 08:29:03 am »
Terrible news.

But at age 84, these things seem to strike, still I just can't imagine what its like to not be able to remember.

Very sad.
Taldren poster known as FFZ