Topic: Downloading... help!  (Read 2042 times)

Offline Komodo

• Jack of all trades
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Just send me the bill...
Downloading... help!
« on: June 29, 2004, 05:41:58 pm »
first post LOL

I'm having trouble downloading a 244 Mb file. It goes through the motions of downloading (1/2 hour length), but doesn't save it- it locks up once the file size has been reached. I've been able to download a file of up to 180 Mb with no problem. Is there a setting somewhere in WinXP to fix this? I've tried adjusting the virtual memory to no avail, and can't think of anything else it may be...Might there be a folder size limitation? I just might try an alternative there...
Nothing ventured, nothing gained

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
Re: Downloading... help!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 07:28:23 pm »
Even with Broadband there is a chance that a file may become corrupted during download.  Especially with a file that size, have you tried using a download manager like GetRight or Download Accelerator Plus?

Offline Komodo

• Jack of all trades
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2004, 10:31:02 pm »
Nope, I've never used a DL manager, but am willing to give it a shot. I'd say 99% of what I dl has never had a problem all the way through, which leaves me mystified- I tried 4 times in a row with the same results...

Offline Grim

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2004, 12:01:04 pm »
Even with Broadband there is a chance that a file may become corrupted during download.  Especially with a file that size, have you tried using a download manager like GetRight or Download Accelerator Plus?

I would not advise DAP, i used it on 56k, and on adsl and only recently i found it it was full of spyware sh*t which i struggled to remove, even with spybot.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2004, 12:07:42 pm »
I suggest filezilla.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2004, 02:21:28 pm »
first post LOL

I'm having trouble downloading a 244 Mb file. It goes through the motions of downloading (1/2 hour length), but doesn't save it- it locks up once the file size has been reached. I've been able to download a file of up to 180 Mb with no problem. Is there a setting somewhere in WinXP to fix this? I've tried adjusting the virtual memory to no avail, and can't think of anything else it may be...Might there be a folder size limitation? I just might try an alternative there...

I suggest avoiding all download accelerators/managers altogether - they are riddled with spyware and not written by the OS developer (though they modify it...).

I suggest an alternate (second) OS with a more efficient and bug free tcp/ip stack, in particular QNX is the best I've seen, though any *nix should do.

Is this file legal? I believe that many hack/crack/hotlist sites are subject to bogus links (posted by parties protecting software) that intentionally fail at 99% of the download to waste your time - reducing the probability that you will obtain their software for free. I mean maybe original developers aren't spamming hacking hotlists with bad links, maybe they're not that devious, but I would be... ;) I'm not suggesting that you are necessarily trying to download an illegal file (please accept my apologies in advance) but I thought people should be aware of this potential strategy.

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2004, 03:49:07 pm »
first post LOL

I suggest avoiding all download accelerators/managers altogether - they are riddled with spyware and not written by the OS developer (though they modify it...).

I suggest an alternate (second) OS with a more efficient and bug free tcp/ip stack, in particular QNX is the best I've seen, though any *nix should do.

Is this file legal? I believe that many hack/crack/hotlist sites are subject to bogus links (posted by parties protecting software) that intentionally fail at 99% of the download to waste your time - reducing the probability that you will obtain their software for free. I mean maybe original developers aren't spamming hacking hotlists with bad links, maybe they're not that devious, but I would be... ;) I'm not suggesting that you are necessarily trying to download an illegal file (please accept my apologies in advance) but I thought people should be aware of this potential strategy.

Have you ever tried the Real d/l (makers of real player, and real jukebox)?  I've tried it and it worked terrific.  It would pick up where it stopped if you got disconnected, and everything else.

I never noticed it having spyware, though it might have...I don't know...but I never had problems with it.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2004, 04:10:54 pm »
Have you ever tried the Real d/l (makers of real player, and real jukebox)?  I've tried it and it worked terrific.  It would pick up where it stopped if you got disconnected, and everything else.

I never noticed it having spyware, though it might have...I don't know...but I never had problems with it.

Nope, I refuse to install "Real" anything, far too invasive for my tastes. (I have in the past, struggled to control it, then tried to remove it.. ended up reformatting I think - its never touching another windows install of mine.) Its a real shame so many sites use it exclusively, I just do without the info in realmedia files.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2004, 04:13:56 pm by Bonk »

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2004, 05:25:03 pm »

I would not advise DAP, i used it on 56k, and on adsl and only recently i found it it was full of spyware s*** which i struggled to remove, even with spybot.

That is partly correct, the latest version of DAP is full of Spyware.  I used to use DAP 5, which didn't have the spyware.  But yeah stay away from the latest version of DAP.  I use GetRight now, which is Spyware free, or at least I didn't find any using Spybot or HijackThis.  Also the author of GetRight states on his website that the program is spyware free.  FileZilla also sounds like a good choice and it?s free.

Offline Komodo

• Jack of all trades
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2004, 10:54:46 pm »
I admit it- it was a copy I was trying to DL...the only time I made an exception, truth be told. Just as well, the link I was given has been altered....
This conversation has made me aware of just how far spyware has infected the net. I got me a copy of Adaware 6 & installed today. Good thing too!