Topic: HP set to sell Built to order Gaming PC  (Read 3020 times)

J. Carney

Re: HP set to sell Built to order Gaming PC
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2004, 09:48:00 pm »
If it's bradded togeather like the last HP I owned it won't be worth paying $3K for- that's for bloody sure. I had a HD crash on me (drive burnt out on a 3 year old comp!) nd couldn't even get ot the drive because of the way that the case was put togeather!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by J. Carney »

Praxis

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2004, 10:13:26 pm »
Man, you and Nemesis sure enjoy ripping stories right off Slashdot

Javora

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2004, 03:38:44 pm »
Two things I've learned from the computer industry:  1.  If you want someone else?s problems buy it.  2.  If you want a stable problem-free system that will last longer than 6 months build it yourself.

E_Look

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2004, 11:02:45 pm »
Hee hee hee!

In my case, I built it and got my own problems!  

IKV Nemesis D7L

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2004, 01:58:30 am »
Quote:

Other people pull stories off CNN (a much more generally popular site), why?  Because they are of specific interest to people here, just as some from Slashdot are.   When a story from Slashdot is (in my view) of interest to a significant number of people here I will provide a link to the original story.  

Why do you object to stories that are found on Slashdot but not ones that are found on CNN?  The CNN stories are much more likely to already be known to the general populace here than the Slashdot stories.  It would seem to me that reposts of things tthat the majority has already heard of would be more objectionable to you.   But both classes of stories and many of other origins lead to discussions here.  I have been repeatedly thanked by people who were interested but had not heard of the issue for posting the links to stories I found through Slashdot .

In both cases the stories are linked to to provide information and sources of discussion by the interested.   If you have already seen the story or have no interest in it, ignore it.  If everyone does that to stories from Slashdot I would stop posting links to such stories.  Often however it seems that people are interested and have not already seen the stories that I have posted that I found there (they aren't original to Slashdot as you surely know).  

There are a number of news sites that I regularly view.  When any of them have something of interest to people here (in my opinion) I will post a link.  Feel free to ignore any message threads I begin if you object to that.  

Javora

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2004, 02:19:20 am »
Yeah but from what I can tell those problems are minor.  Besides I am guessing that your knowledge of computer systems has grown by leaps and bounds over the last couple of weeks/months.  That alone IMHO is worth every penny you spent and every second of aggravation you may experience.  Now if those problem(s) ever come up again you will know how to fix the problem yourself.  Or pass that information to someone who needs it.

E_Look

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2004, 12:20:44 am »
Shoot!  I hope sincerely no one is going to need my experiences as a solution to their comp probs!!  In fact, I hope it gets more troublefree in the coming years.

Ack!- Zip drives, XP, cheapo IDE cables, shorted connectors... I really hope QC improves as the doityourselfer market matures.  A respectable mobo company like DFI should print a REAL manual with their products, like HP should fuggedaboud game machines and produce a decent calculator again... minus trendy and chintzy cosmetics...

...  nah, too much to ask for!  I guess I should write down my system building travails, uh, experiences on paper...  

Javora

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2004, 12:26:02 am »
Quote:

Ack!- Zip drives, XP, cheapo IDE cables, shorted connectors...

See...  Listen to yourself, your sounding more and more like a tech every day.  

J. Carney

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2004, 09:48:00 pm »
If it's bradded togeather like the last HP I owned it won't be worth paying $3K for- that's for bloody sure. I had a HD crash on me (drive burnt out on a 3 year old comp!) nd couldn't even get ot the drive because of the way that the case was put togeather!

Praxis

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2004, 10:13:26 pm »

Javora

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2004, 03:38:44 pm »
Two things I've learned from the computer industry:  1.  If you want someone else?s problems buy it.  2.  If you want a stable problem-free system that will last longer than 6 months build it yourself.

E_Look

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2004, 11:02:45 pm »
Hee hee hee!

In my case, I built it and got my own problems!  

IKV Nemesis D7L

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2004, 01:58:30 am »
Quote:

Other people pull stories off CNN (a much more generally popular site), why?  Because they are of specific interest to people here, just as some from Slashdot are.   When a story from Slashdot is (in my view) of interest to a significant number of people here I will provide a link to the original story.  

Why do you object to stories that are found on Slashdot but not ones that are found on CNN?  The CNN stories are much more likely to already be known to the general populace here than the Slashdot stories.  It would seem to me that reposts of things tthat the majority has already heard of would be more objectionable to you.   But both classes of stories and many of other origins lead to discussions here.  I have been repeatedly thanked by people who were interested but had not heard of the issue for posting the links to stories I found through Slashdot .

In both cases the stories are linked to to provide information and sources of discussion by the interested.   If you have already seen the story or have no interest in it, ignore it.  If everyone does that to stories from Slashdot I would stop posting links to such stories.  Often however it seems that people are interested and have not already seen the stories that I have posted that I found there (they aren't original to Slashdot as you surely know).  

There are a number of news sites that I regularly view.  When any of them have something of interest to people here (in my opinion) I will post a link.  Feel free to ignore any message threads I begin if you object to that.  

Javora

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2004, 02:19:20 am »
Yeah but from what I can tell those problems are minor.  Besides I am guessing that your knowledge of computer systems has grown by leaps and bounds over the last couple of weeks/months.  That alone IMHO is worth every penny you spent and every second of aggravation you may experience.  Now if those problem(s) ever come up again you will know how to fix the problem yourself.  Or pass that information to someone who needs it.

E_Look

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2004, 12:20:44 am »
Shoot!  I hope sincerely no one is going to need my experiences as a solution to their comp probs!!  In fact, I hope it gets more troublefree in the coming years.

Ack!- Zip drives, XP, cheapo IDE cables, shorted connectors... I really hope QC improves as the doityourselfer market matures.  A respectable mobo company like DFI should print a REAL manual with their products, like HP should fuggedaboud game machines and produce a decent calculator again... minus trendy and chintzy cosmetics...

...  nah, too much to ask for!  I guess I should write down my system building travails, uh, experiences on paper...  

Javora

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2004, 12:26:02 am »
Quote:

Ack!- Zip drives, XP, cheapo IDE cables, shorted connectors...

See...  Listen to yourself, your sounding more and more like a tech every day.  

J. Carney

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2004, 09:48:00 pm »