Topic: SFC III mod capability/ Command Line Params  (Read 2507 times)

Raptor85

SFC III mod capability/ Command Line Params
« on: April 12, 2004, 01:30:55 pm »
problem #1.

does sfc III accept any command line parameters? since it can be launched into battle from gamespy i would assume this is so, but i cannot find any information on this. If there was any way at all to query and directly connect to a IP for dynaverse play that would solve a amazing number of problems.

problem #2.
There are so many bugs in SFC III that are EASILY fixable, is there ever in the future going to be a patch sdk so users can create their own patches? this has been done with almost every other game under the sun, so if not why, there's no chance of any loss, and SFC III would probably gain players if it could run stable. (just client and gui modification capability, no direct engine access)

Pestalence

Re: SFC III mod capability/ Command Line Params
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2004, 06:32:12 pm »
No patch SDK as that would also require a release of the SDK to the game engine.. Taldren and Activision will not release the game engine source for any reason what so ever, so no use asking..

the GUI and game engine are intrgrated in the EXE and in the sprites.Q3 files.. as such no SDK could be released unless they released the game engine source code. Which ain't happening.

as for command line paramaters.. no.. speciffically because foing online with SFC 3 requires CD Key validation through Activisions Authorization servers and using a command line for IP connection bypasses the access servers.. the server kit itself will not allow a player to enter the game doing theis because.. #1 player GSA account has not been validated, #2 CD key has not been validated, and #3, the D2 Directory server has not been accessed.. therefore the Server will not regcognize a player who did not attempt to access the server through the normal methods..

currently the problem with SFC 3 Dynaverse is Activision's Valdation Servers.

hope that this helps.

Raptor85

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2004, 11:15:58 pm »
so, frankly, due to many bad design decisions, like combining the engine and client into one, the game is doomed to be forever buggy, and have horrible net support.

Sad really, half of the errors i come up with are simple mistakes that i've run into before, and knowing how to fix them it would take less than a hour, and the access server itself is slow and always down when i want to play. what is going to happen when activision decides to stop supporting SFC III ?

im curious here, this game was forced out of development early due to activisions problems with the trek liscense wasn't it? that seems the only logical explination for the buggy nature of some of the game components. The networking and dynaverse play especially.

[edit] i would like to point out also, i forgot to mention, i have no interest in the game engine itself, i have access to other engines with better graphics and net support, and am one of the  developers  on the  jet3d engine, i play strategy games when i have free time and am not out in town, and was hoping there was some way i could clear up a few of the bugs plagueing the client, which seriously detract from the gameplay, and for the command line params question i was asking because, as i stated, the access server always seems to be down when i want to play, but i know the IP of the server.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2004, 11:23:59 pm by Raptor85 »

Praxis

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2004, 11:26:05 pm »
Yep, lots of problems are fixable, but thanks to Actistinktion, er, Activision, we won't be seeing a patch for a looong time to come.

What'd be cool is if they Open Source'd SFC3.  But the chances of that happening are practically nonexistant.  It'd be cool, though...I bet a lot of people would have fun screwing around with it.

Maybe in a couple years they might...look at Quake 3.  You can freely download the source for that and create your own game based on the engine (though you can't sell it without getting a license from the company).

Pestalence

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2004, 06:03:12 am »
Quote:

Yep, lots of problems are fixable, but thanks to Actistinktion, er, Activision, we won't be seeing a patch for a looong time to come.

What'd be cool is if they Open Source'd SFC3.  But the chances of that happening are practically nonexistant.  It'd be cool, though...I bet a lot of people would have fun screwing around with it.

Maybe in a couple years they might...look at Quake 3.  You can freely download the source for that and create your own game based on the engine (though you can't sell it without getting a license from the company).  

Praxis.. you want your words about the patch on Wheat or Rye?

SFC 3 Patch v531

http://forums.taldren.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=UBB1

VSFTie

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2004, 08:42:55 am »
lol good 1  

Praxis

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2004, 09:13:39 am »
Well, I meant OFFICIAL patch...;)

Chris Jones