Topic: A question concerning cases...  (Read 3217 times)

Iceman

A question concerning cases...
« on: April 06, 2004, 02:49:28 pm »
Computer cases that is.  I'm a bit befuddled here, how does a 'front' USB port work?  

Sirgod

Re: A question concerning cases...
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 02:57:19 pm »
essentially, You'll have connections to your Mother Board, that will allow a cable from the MB USB blug to go to the USB ports up front. My MB that I have right now has 2 USB ports in the back, and 2 in the front, so I've got mine split.

but they function just like any other USB port. Alot of the older MB's didn't have the Hook up for the USB cables, So make sure you check into that If your buying. If your using your same MB in a new case, Then you'll just have the rear USB's unless you have the connection I mentioned.

confused yet? Let me know If that helps Bro.

Stephen

E_Look

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2004, 04:08:45 pm »
Sirgod, help me out here-

I was given (for my tastes, anyway) a pretty cool older case (steel construction) with front USBs.  The problem is, after I stuffed the guts in it, the system either crashes or reboots (rare) if even an unattached USB cable touches the area near the ports.  I guess it's a short somewhere along the port, wire, or connection to the mobo.

I am just too lazy right now to shut it down, disconnect it from the peripherals and poke around with a meter.  I'm hoping you might know something I don't here (which is very probable).

But to use my front side USBs, the system first has to be off, then plug in USB device, then boot.  Pain in the butt.

Barabbas

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2004, 04:15:52 pm »
Quote:

I was given (for my tastes, anyway) a pretty cool older case (steel construction) with front USBs.  The problem is, after I stuffed the guts in it, the system either crashes or reboots (rare) if even an unattached USB cable touches the area near the ports.  I guess it's a short somewhere along the port, wire, or connection to the mobo.

I am just too lazy right now to shut it down, disconnect it from the peripherals and poke around with a meter.  I'm hoping you might know something I don't here (which is very probable).

But to use my front side USBs, the system first has to be off, then plug in USB device, then boot.  Pain in the butt.  

Check the pin-out of the USB connector on your MB (and for that matter, make sure it IS actually a USB connector!)  If you've got the +5v crossed to ground it would probably short like that when you plugged anything in to it.  It could also short out your digital camera if wired backwards, then your camera wouldn't talk to you computer any more.  Believe me.  I know.    

Sirgod

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2004, 04:27:51 pm »
Thanks Barrabas, I was thinking the same along those same lines.

If worse comes to worse, you can always pick up a PCI card to use your USB devices in. also You can try a USB hub, But I would suggest one with an External Powersupply so It doesn't drain your PS.

Stephen

Iceman

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2004, 09:11:57 pm »
So from a modern MB, there is a port that connects to the USB ports?  Ok, I can get that! THanks!

Sirgod

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2004, 09:14:39 pm »
NP Ice, anytime.

stephen

Javora

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2004, 07:29:29 am »
Quote:

So from a modern MB, there is a port that connects to the USB ports?  Ok, I can get that! THanks!  

This post might help you further if you need help connecting your front USB connectors.  Be very careful, installing these connectors the wrong way can short out not only your motherboard but whatever you have connected to your front USB port as well.  Hope this helps.

Iceman

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2004, 02:49:28 pm »
Computer cases that is.  I'm a bit befuddled here, how does a 'front' USB port work?  

Sirgod

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2004, 02:57:19 pm »
essentially, You'll have connections to your Mother Board, that will allow a cable from the MB USB blug to go to the USB ports up front. My MB that I have right now has 2 USB ports in the back, and 2 in the front, so I've got mine split.

but they function just like any other USB port. Alot of the older MB's didn't have the Hook up for the USB cables, So make sure you check into that If your buying. If your using your same MB in a new case, Then you'll just have the rear USB's unless you have the connection I mentioned.

Stephen

E_Look

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2004, 04:08:45 pm »

Barabbas

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2004, 04:15:52 pm »
Quote:

Check the pin-out of the USB connector on your MB (and for that matter, make sure it IS actually a USB connector!)  If you've got the +5v crossed to ground it would probably short like that when you plugged anything in to it.  It could also short out your digital camera if wired backwards, then your camera wouldn't talk to you computer any more.  Believe me.  I know.    

Sirgod

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2004, 04:27:51 pm »

If worse comes to worse, you can always pick up a PCI card to use your USB devices in. also You can try a USB hub, But I would suggest one with an External Powersupply so It doesn't drain your PS.

Stephen

Iceman

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2004, 09:11:57 pm »

Sirgod

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2004, 09:14:39 pm »
NP Ice, anytime.

stephen

Javora

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2004, 07:29:29 am »
Quote:

This post might help you further if you need help connecting your front USB connectors.  Be very careful, installing these connectors the wrong way can short out not only your motherboard but whatever you have connected to your front USB port as well.  Hope this helps.

Iceman

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2004, 02:49:28 pm »

Sirgod

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2004, 02:57:19 pm »

Stephen

E_Look

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2004, 04:08:45 pm »

Barabbas

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2004, 04:15:52 pm »
Quote:

Sirgod

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2004, 04:27:51 pm »

Stephen

Iceman

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2004, 09:11:57 pm »

Sirgod

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2004, 09:14:39 pm »
NP Ice, anytime.

stephen

Javora

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2004, 07:29:29 am »
Quote: