Topic: Never stop collecting the things you like  (Read 4485 times)

Kmelew

Re: Never stop collecting the things you like
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2004, 09:04:29 pm »
I collect paperweights from a Scottish company called  Caithness Glass .  I have between 70-80 pieces ranging in value between $40 and $900, both limited and unlimited edition weights.

One of my prized pieces is the first limited edition comtemporary paperweight called "Mars."  When it was released in 1969 is was about $40.  Today it is worth more than $600.  It was orginally part of a set called "The Planets I."  The entire set of four weights is about $3500.

Unfortunately Caithness Glass is in receivership.  I can only hope the company survives to continue to produce beautiful art glass.  

Stormbringer

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2004, 09:09:54 pm »
Damn, when I was in germany I got a whole box of them both the trek and the starwars ones some metal and some plastic. I got them as minaiures for SFB type games and one (TNG Romulans KR styled scout) as an illustration of a ship for DND group I was DMing. I'm saddened to hear I cannot get any more.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2004, 09:11:02 pm by Stormbringer »

Capt. Mike

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2004, 09:34:12 pm »
Actually, what I'm look for is a harp-guitar...a six string guitar with an extended side neck with strings tuned to a harp...problem is Omaha is not exactly the Mecca of music since all the blues players have left, and most kids want rap or punk...I'll keep trying though...E-Bay is always available  

But if you know a lute maker who is reasonable......

Mike

E_Look

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2004, 09:35:19 pm »
I have every now and then come across some guys on the 'Net willing to sell you some of the ones they collected... for more than I care to pay.

In fact, it was either on these boards or the old Simxtreme ones, someone even posted a pic of a "cloaked" Defiant MicroMachine... I didn't even know they had regular Defiants!

If you REALLY, REALLY want them, a search engine might shake some out of the bushes, but I'm not sure I'd pay their prices.  I always fancied my self a Trek lover and a nerd or geek, but I guess they are just shallow self-delusions, compared to the realities of some people's real passion for these things.  Another example- I'd love to have the Playmates' TOS Enterprise; but collectors scarfed 'em up before I got one, and I am NOT willing to pay what they ask for nowadays!  Ah, my brother!  He got me a Polar LIghts TOS Enterprise model.  It'll be a fine activity with my kids some boring, rainy Saturday.

Stormbringer

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2004, 09:54:06 am »
Most of them seemed pretty pricey but there were a few that were nicely priced. There are no modern instruments in the catalog. So blues is right out. Hundreds of lyres, mandolins, dulcimers, harps, drums, flutes, recorders and other ancient instruments.  

Stormbringer

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2004, 09:58:31 am »
Well I'm not quite that dedicated but I managed to get a gallon tub full of them when they were in the original manufacturing run. I have a defiant but not a cloaked one.

Khalee

Never stop collecting the things you like
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2004, 01:38:12 pm »
I play a game called Advanced Squad Leader got the original too. I had to stop collecting the series, went back to the web site to check on whats new  http://www.multimanpublishing.com/index1.php and man the price really went up, when I started to play it, it was like 10 to 12 dollors for each of the games, but man cant aford it right now, not for what it would cost to get the mods that Im missing.

It the same thing with D&D I had everything they came out with at one point orther than the minis which I wasnt into at the time, got tired of it and got rid of it all. and those books started out around 7.50$ a piece.

Makes me whish I had kept all of it. as it cost too much to get back into now.

JMM

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2004, 01:48:58 pm »
Think that is bad K? Back when the Empire Strikes back, I had the Imperial Stormtrooper Landspeeder carrier with laser turret and electronic voices and sounds. My cousin stole it or it was lost in a fire at my grandparent's house before they died, in any case, it is worth major bucks even without a box!    

Iceman

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2004, 01:54:31 pm »
I have the original radio dramatization of The Empire Striks back.  On vinyl.  lol

Capt. Mike

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2004, 04:40:37 pm »
Mike looks around, starts counting; "4 acoustic 12 tring guitars, 5 acoustic 6 strings, 1 electric, 2 banjos, a mandolin, and a hammer dulcimer....guess it is time for a trip to the music store"  

I collect guitars, and to my wife's dismay, probably will always collect them.  Bought a Washburn hollow-body electric bass for my son's birthday, and when he gets here from the ROK, I guess I'll have to give it to him  

Hobbies can be expensive, but are manageable when approached over the long term (35 + years for me)

Mike

E_Look

« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2004, 06:03:07 pm »
Yeah, but Thelonius Monk's dead and they don't make vinyls anymore... and Galoob doesn't make MIcroMachine Star Trek ships anymore...  

Stormbringer

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2004, 06:40:16 pm »
I think I still have a catalog of stringed and woodwind instruments from a ren-fair type company. It is pretty thick. I can find the address for you if you are interested.  They specialize in medevial instruments. Some of them are very nice.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Stormbringer »

Iceman

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2004, 08:54:41 pm »
Wow, now that I think of it, I have a ton of stuff.  I have the "Captain's Plate" from the Franklin mint with Kirk, Picard, Sisko and Janeway on it.  I also have 4 pocket watches (TOS, Borg Enclave, UFP, and Klingon Empire). I have some of the original film cells from "Encounter at Farpoint", 90% of all the ST Hallmark orniments.  A big cutaway poster/diagram of Ent-D.  A series of mini-plates with a host of different scens, from TOS to Voyager.  (about 12)  I also have a nice 1/2 sheet of the Ent D in the Nexus.  I have a tin box of collectable TOS cards, an Ent-D shuttle alarm clock, and a Klingon Bird-Of-Prey snowglobe (it lights up!).  I have a bunch of the MicroMachines but I'm not sure which ones. I got the box set with the "All Good Things" ships as a bonus, so I have those plus a handful more.  

As far as Star Wars goes I have the TIE Interceptor lego model (the easier of the two to find, the other being the X0Wing, which if you have/know of LET ME KNOW!)  I have the original X-Wing game and X-Wing V TIE games (with box).  

I have all the Final Fantasy VII characters that made it to the US shore, including a box of Cloud, Barrett, Tifa and Aeris, with Vincent and Sephiroth being seperate.  Never found a Yuffie.  

I also have all the FInal Fantasy VIII character's.  This includes Squall, Rinoa, Zell, Seifer, all those 'playable' characters as well as all the GF's.  (Cerebrus, Diablos, Behemoth (I think thats it) and Ifrit, Shiva, and one or two more maybe).

I have 7 of 8 of the Metal Gear Solid characters (missing Vulcan Raven, again if you know of it/have it let me know!)

I have all the Evangelion figures (like 7 I think).

There's probably a few I missed, but thats like 90% of my bedroom.  Action figures (hung in boxes) and posters.  

Kmelew

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2004, 09:04:29 pm »
I collect paperweights from a Scottish company called  Caithness Glass .  I have between 70-80 pieces ranging in value between $40 and $900, both limited and unlimited edition weights.

One of my prized pieces is the first limited edition comtemporary paperweight called "Mars."  When it was released in 1969 is was about $40.  Today it is worth more than $600.  It was orginally part of a set called "The Planets I."  The entire set of four weights is about $3500.

Unfortunately Caithness Glass is in receivership.  I can only hope the company survives to continue to produce beautiful art glass.  

Stormbringer

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2004, 09:09:54 pm »
Damn, when I was in germany I got a whole box of them both the trek and the starwars ones some metal and some plastic. I got them as minaiures for SFB type games and one (TNG Romulans KR styled scout) as an illustration of a ship for DND group I was DMing. I'm saddened to hear I cannot get any more.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2004, 09:11:02 pm by Stormbringer »

Capt. Mike

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2004, 09:34:12 pm »
Actually, what I'm look for is a harp-guitar...a six string guitar with an extended side neck with strings tuned to a harp...problem is Omaha is not exactly the Mecca of music since all the blues players have left, and most kids want rap or punk...I'll keep trying though...E-Bay is always available  

But if you know a lute maker who is reasonable......

Mike

E_Look

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2004, 09:35:19 pm »
I have every now and then come across some guys on the 'Net willing to sell you some of the ones they collected... for more than I care to pay.

In fact, it was either on these boards or the old Simxtreme ones, someone even posted a pic of a "cloaked" Defiant MicroMachine... I didn't even know they had regular Defiants!

If you REALLY, REALLY want them, a search engine might shake some out of the bushes, but I'm not sure I'd pay their prices.  I always fancied my self a Trek lover and a nerd or geek, but I guess they are just shallow self-delusions, compared to the realities of some people's real passion for these things.  Another example- I'd love to have the Playmates' TOS Enterprise; but collectors scarfed 'em up before I got one, and I am NOT willing to pay what they ask for nowadays!  Ah, my brother!  He got me a Polar LIghts TOS Enterprise model.  It'll be a fine activity with my kids some boring, rainy Saturday.

Stormbringer

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2004, 09:54:06 am »
Most of them seemed pretty pricey but there were a few that were nicely priced. There are no modern instruments in the catalog. So blues is right out. Hundreds of lyres, mandolins, dulcimers, harps, drums, flutes, recorders and other ancient instruments.  

Stormbringer

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2004, 09:58:31 am »
Well I'm not quite that dedicated but I managed to get a gallon tub full of them when they were in the original manufacturing run. I have a defiant but not a cloaked one.