Topic: NASA puts new spin on Einstiens theorys.  (Read 3511 times)

Sirgod

NASA puts new spin on Einstiens theorys.
« on: April 04, 2004, 11:48:26 am »
 http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/04/04/1081017035962.html

NASA puts new spin on old Einstein
By Richard Macey
April 5, 2004

Almost 90 years after Albert Einstein published his theory that space and time are "curved", it is about to be put to a $US850 million ($A1.1 billion) test.

Next Sunday week, if all goes well, a NASA satellite fitted with four tiny gyroscopes will be fired from Vandenberg Air Force Base, California, into a 640-kilometre- high orbit.

The size of ping-pong balls, the gyroscopes will be set rotating, aligned to a star tracked by the satellite's on-board telescope.

If Einstein's theory of relativity is right, the angle at which they spin should gradually drift over the next two years as the satellite orbits.

According to the theory, gravity does not only distort space up and down, left and right, forward and backward but can also make time run slower, so that the tick of a second on a clock may not always take exactly one second.

But Einstein's theory has only been partially verified.

"Until a theory is thoroughly tested," said Stanford University scientists, who helped develop the mission, "we cannot accept it as fact."

NASA said the satellite "will measure how space and time are warped by the presence of the Earth, and, more profoundly, how the Earth's rotation drags space-time around with it".

These effects, though small for the Earth, have far-reaching implications for the nature of matter and the structure of the universe," the agency said.

First proposed in the 1950s, the satellite, Gravity Probe B, has been funded by NASA since 1964, its design extensively changed to ensure success.

It is arguably "among the most thoroughly researched programs" that NASA has undertaken.

------------------------------------------------------

Stephen

Iceman

Re: NASA puts new spin on Einstiens theorys.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2004, 08:53:21 pm »
This is actually something I'm REALLY excited about.  Thanks!

Stormbringer

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2004, 08:56:30 pm »
Remember our discussion of frame dragging and the video illustration? This will lead to advanced propulsion technology if pursued vigorously.

Ravok

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2004, 09:02:29 pm »
Quote:

Me too!!! Out sanding post, I really cant wait to see the results, A better understanding of space- time very well might be the first step toward FTL Space travel.  

Sirgod

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2004, 10:12:32 pm »
Quote:

Remember our discussion of frame dragging and the video illustration? This will lead to advanced propulsion technology if pursued vigorously.  

Oh man, You are right.  i forgot that Discussion, untill Know. But yes, Yes , YES.

Thanks for reminding me about that Jerry.

stephen

Ravok

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2004, 10:15:48 pm »
 Sorry did not mean to repeat you we must have posted at the same time!  

Stormbringer

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2004, 10:16:12 pm »
Yep apparently frame dragging can be demonstrated at least without astronomical amounts of energy. That in itself make a propulsion system  based on that particular tech more than just the usual k0ok's pipe dream.

Ravok

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2004, 12:44:18 am »
 What exactly is frame dragging [ google does not have a clue] ?  

Stormbringer

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2004, 12:52:51 am »
You could think of it as a type of space warping around moving charges or masses. There are ways of demonstrating this "warp" effect with relatively weakly powered and cheap equipment. I have a video of a lecture by the Tesla society about an experiment they did on it. There was a discussion here about laser grid used to produce them or some such. I need more time to get an accurate report for you and I am about to leave for OKC in a c ouple of hours so it will have to wait. Perhaps some of the people who originally participated in the discussion here will provide a link or a summary for you. If not I'll try to get the info for you within a few days.

Enistein predicted that for example the earth as it rotates tends to grab the local space around it and take it along to a degree. The effect of this particular example is tiny and that is why it took todays technology to make verification possible many decades after he predicted it. Yet there are examples of frame dragging that do not require that much mass to make detectable frame grabbing effects. These involve lasers, charged particles and so forth. Some article about the time of the discussion mentioned revealed a way to make framedragging noticeable to common instruments. They (Tesla society physicists and engineers) extrapolated a way to use this as an FTL work around.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2004, 01:05:38 am by Stormbringer »

Ravok

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2004, 01:43:10 am »
Quote:

You could think of it as a type of space warping around moving charges or masses. There are ways of demonstrating this "warp" effect with relatively weakly powered and cheap equipment. I have a video of a lecture by the Tesla society about an experiment they did on it. There was a discussion here about laser grid used to produce them or some such. I need more time to get an accurate report for you and I am about to leave for OKC in a c ouple of hours so it will have to wait. Perhaps some of the people who originally participated in the discussion here will provide a link or a summary for you. If not I'll try to get the info for you within a few days.

Enistein predicted that for example the earth as it rotates tends to grab the local space around it and take it along to a degree. The effect of this particular example is tiny and that is why it took todays technology to make verification possible many decades after he predicted it. Yet there are examples of frame dragging that do not require that much mass to make detectable frame grabbing effects. These involve lasers, charged particles and so forth. Some article about the time of the discussion mentioned revealed a way to make framedragging noticeable to common instruments. They (Tesla society physicists and engineers) extrapolated a way to use this as an FTL work around.

Thanks Storm i really mean it!!!! This is the type of research i am absolutely fascinated with
 Take care and have a safe trip!!  

Sirgod

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2004, 10:07:16 am »
BTW guys, There's a show about Tesla on PBS this week. Actually I just checked and It's tonight at 9 PM central.

Tesla:Master of Lightning.

Stephen

Lono

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2004, 04:50:52 pm »

Hmm... Very Cool Indeed!

However...  It's a little strange this hasn't been done before...

I've heard a lot of conspircay theories regarding technology and energy lately and sometimes it is a little suspicious what NASA does or does not publically persue...

In either case I'm glad this is finally being put to the test!

Now if someone could just get to work on creating a localized time dialation (uncoupled from the normal, resquisite acceleration) I will be well pleased...

Sirgod

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2004, 11:48:26 am »

By Richard Macey
April 5, 2004

Almost 90 years after Albert Einstein published his theory that space and time are "curved", it is about to be put to a $US850 million ($A1.1 billion) test.

Next Sunday week, if all goes well, a NASA satellite fitted with four tiny gyroscopes will be fired from Vandenberg Air Force Base, California, into a 640-kilometre- high orbit.

The size of ping-pong balls, the gyroscopes will be set rotating, aligned to a star tracked by the satellite's on-board telescope.

If Einstein's theory of relativity is right, the angle at which they spin should gradually drift over the next two years as the satellite orbits.

According to the theory, gravity does not only distort space up and down, left and right, forward and backward but can also make time run slower, so that the tick of a second on a clock may not always take exactly one second.

"Until a theory is thoroughly tested," said Stanford University scientists, who helped develop the mission, "we cannot accept it as fact."

NASA said the satellite "will measure how space and time are warped by the presence of the Earth, and, more profoundly, how the Earth's rotation drags space-time around with it".

These effects, though small for the Earth, have far-reaching implications for the nature of matter and the structure of the universe," the agency said.

First proposed in the 1950s, the satellite, Gravity Probe B, has been funded by NASA since 1964, its design extensively changed to ensure success.

It is arguably "among the most thoroughly researched programs" that NASA has undertaken.

Stephen

Iceman

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2004, 08:53:21 pm »

Stormbringer

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2004, 08:56:30 pm »

Ravok

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2004, 09:02:29 pm »
Quote:

Me too!!! Out sanding post, I really cant wait to see the results, A better understanding of space- time very well might be the first step toward FTL Space travel.  

Sirgod

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2004, 10:12:32 pm »
Quote:

Oh man, You are right.  i forgot that Discussion, untill Know. But yes, Yes , YES.

stephen

Ravok

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2004, 10:15:48 pm »

Stormbringer

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2004, 10:16:12 pm »
Yep apparently frame dragging can be demonstrated at least without astronomical amounts of energy. That in itself make a propulsion system  based on that particular tech more than just the usual k0ok's pipe dream.

Ravok

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2004, 12:44:18 am »

Stormbringer

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2004, 12:52:51 am »

Ravok

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2004, 01:43:10 am »
Quote:

Thanks Storm i really mean it!!!! This is the type of research i am absolutely fascinated with

Sirgod

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2004, 10:07:16 am »
BTW guys, There's a show about Tesla on PBS this week. Actually I just checked and It's tonight at 9 PM central.

Stephen

Lono

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2004, 04:50:52 pm »

Hmm... Very Cool Indeed!

I've heard a lot of conspircay theories regarding technology and energy lately and sometimes it is a little suspicious what NASA does or does not publically persue...

Now if someone could just get to work on creating a localized time dialation (uncoupled from the normal, resquisite acceleration) I will be well pleased...

Sirgod

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2004, 11:48:26 am »

By Richard Macey
April 5, 2004

Stephen

Iceman

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2004, 08:53:21 pm »

Stormbringer

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2004, 08:56:30 pm »

Ravok

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2004, 09:02:29 pm »
Quote:

Sirgod

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2004, 10:12:32 pm »
Quote:

stephen

Ravok

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2004, 10:15:48 pm »

Stormbringer

« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2004, 10:16:12 pm »

Ravok

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2004, 12:44:18 am »

Stormbringer

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2004, 12:52:51 am »

Ravok

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2004, 01:43:10 am »
Quote:

Sirgod

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2004, 10:07:16 am »

Stephen

Lono

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2004, 04:50:52 pm »

Hmm... Very Cool Indeed!