Topic: Taldren, PLEASE fix this:  (Read 22355 times)

Praxis

Re: Taldren, PLEASE fix this:
« Reply #140 on: April 01, 2004, 01:02:24 pm »
Quote:

Trick people?

Pardon me, I thought this was a conversation about brwoser design and usage, not some conspiracy theory about the grassy knoll and a 3rd browser.

*Toasty backs out the door*  

It's quite well known that Microsoft will make certain changes to their product and not inform developers that it is ONLY for their product.  The developers think that all of the other versions of the product have the same features, and so they don't realize they've made something Microsoft-only.

They did it with MS-Java (and got their butts sued big time over it) and did it again with Microsoft Internet Explorer (and are in the process of getting their butts sued over it).

Praxis

« Reply #141 on: April 01, 2004, 01:13:28 pm »
One last thing- the other browsers have quite a few advantages.  Not only is there tab browsing and popup blocking as I mentioned, but the Mozilla and Safari browsers support text smoothing.

I opened the web page in Dreamweaver in both Mozilla and IE.  The text in IE looked like text, while in Mozilla it was smooth as a Photoshop image.

Here's a good site with a comparison:
http://www.newrecruit.org/archives/2003/june/browsers
He compares IE to Firebird- the new version of FireBird is called FireFox and fixes most of the minor complaints (such as inability to drag a bookmark) he mentions.

101 things you can do in Mozilla that you can't do in IE:
http://www.xulplanet.com/ndeakin/arts/reasons.html

A very in depth browser comparison, but a bit outdated:
http://home.earthlink.net/~intelligentlife/ItemMenu/browsers.html

In fact, Toasty, I went to YOUR personal web page, and it looks perfect in Mozilla Firebird.

Taldren_Admin

« Reply #142 on: April 01, 2004, 03:15:40 pm »
Working on an all new website now.

Ann

Praxis

« Reply #143 on: April 01, 2004, 03:30:04 pm »
Whooo!
*cheers*

Cool.  

Towelie

« Reply #144 on: April 01, 2004, 03:32:30 pm »
 So, when can we get some screenshots of the new website?  

Towelie

« Reply #145 on: April 01, 2004, 03:35:46 pm »
  Praxis, funny side note. Your avatar and image in your sig are both broken from my POV. I checked the link listed and cannot find the images.

Taldren_Admin

« Reply #146 on: April 01, 2004, 04:02:30 pm »
Quote:

So, when can we get some screenshots of the new website?    

Screen shots? Heck very soon you will have a full screen  

I don't have much left to do before it can go live but there will be more work to do once it is up. I am already rethinking for the next rev.

Ann

Death_Merchant

« Reply #147 on: April 01, 2004, 04:36:45 pm »
Sorry ToastyO, gotta side with Praxis on this one.
(and Praxis: Your avatar and sig image doesn't display in Safari either )
Perhaps this quote from Dave Hyatt's (one of the key devs for Safari) blog  will help:

Safari has draconian XML error handling. If the file isn't well-formed, Safari won't display it. Mozilla does the same, which should come as no surprise, since the two browsers use the same open-source XML parser (expat).

I fall squarely into the draconian camp and agree with Tim Bray. Fully half of the bugs I receive in WebCore are not bugs at all, but are essentially differences in error handling and error recovery between Safari and the dominant Web browser, WinIE. None of these issues occur with XML.

If we lived in a world where browsers could refuse to display malformed content (with useful error notification of course so that authors could easily repair their content), then all of these "bugs" would simply disappear. I could focus my efforts on real DOM and CSS bugs, and not have to waste my time emulating the behavior of WinIE.

Relaxing restrictions on well-formedness is a slippery slope, and where does it end? Consider all the "helpful" rules that exist in HTML today thanks to early versions of Netscape and WinIE. Did you know that any h1-h6 tag can close any other h1-h6 tag? Try it. Open an h1, type some text and then put in a close h2. It will close up the h1 in WinIE and Mozilla. (I haven't yet fixed this "bug" in Safari.) Try specifying a close tag for a paragraph by itself. You'll get an empty paragraph in Safari, Mozilla, and WinIE.

SL-Punisher

« Reply #148 on: April 01, 2004, 04:39:29 pm »
Jesus Christ like we need another browser/OS flame war on here.

Here's some humor for everyone: Move out of your parents basement and get a life! KIDDING!

Death_Merchant

« Reply #149 on: April 01, 2004, 04:48:35 pm »
Huh Pun?
You kidding? I can't tell 'cause my browser won't display the emoticons......  

SL-Punisher

« Reply #150 on: April 01, 2004, 04:55:33 pm »
lol now thats freakin funny.

Praxis

« Reply #151 on: April 01, 2004, 05:47:25 pm »
Maybe you don't see my sig and avatar because I don't have one...
LOL!!!

I had one a year or so ago but both hosting sites no longer exist.  I should stick a new one on there from my personal web server...

In fact, I'm gonna add my GFL sig now.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2004, 05:50:20 pm by Praxis »

Praxis

« Reply #152 on: April 01, 2004, 05:56:55 pm »
Why doesn't it work...argh...

Death_Merchant

« Reply #153 on: April 01, 2004, 06:29:29 pm »
Dangit Prax, you're making us Safari guys look bad

I don't think the forum handles .php properly. Make it a jpeg or something.
BTW: If I point Safari directly to http://targ.ottergoose.net/praxissiggen.php, I can see your sig.
Tre kewl....  

IKV Nemesis D7L

« Reply #154 on: April 01, 2004, 06:38:34 pm »
Quote:

Why doesn't it work...argh...  

Code:
http://targ.ottergoose.net/praxissiggen.php

As far as I know .php is not an extension associated with images.  Perhaps you need to check the image format.  

Sirgod

« Reply #155 on: April 01, 2004, 07:11:16 pm »
I'm confused, Why am I not reading this on my IE 6 ?  

Stephen

Toasty0

« Reply #156 on: April 01, 2004, 09:55:43 pm »
Quote:

LOL!!!

I had one a year or so ago but both hosting sites no longer exist.  I should stick a new one on there from my personal web server...

I'd fix you sig for ya Prax, but then it would no longer be well formed, would it?

Try using the image /image tag instead. That's what we in thse part call UBB code.

Also, though you say you have no image, the properties of your avatar come back with this URL http://trekmeshes.starfleet.ch/thumbnails/quantumss1701e.jpg

Lastly, you use Dreamweaver? I use notepad like all good real coders do. None of that plug-n-slug for me. Real coders write their own clean code.

Best,
Jerry

IKV Nemesis D7L

« Reply #157 on: April 01, 2004, 10:03:37 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

LOL!!!

I'd fix you sig for ya Prax, but then it would no longer be well formed, would it?

Try using the image /image tag instead. That's what we in thse part call UBB code.

Also, though you say you have no image, the properties of your avatar come back with this URL http://trekmeshes.starfleet.ch/thumbnails/quantumss1701e.jpg

Lastly, you use Dreamweaver? I use notepad like all good real coders do. None of that plug-n-slug for me. Real coders write their own clean code.

Best,
Jerry

Don't forget.  

Quote:

"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place.  Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." - Brian W. Kernighan

Toasty0

« Reply #158 on: April 01, 2004, 10:31:24 pm »
Yeah, I love that quote.

Thanks for the laugh!  

SL-Punisher

« Reply #159 on: April 02, 2004, 01:05:01 am »
Grog no like fancy html coder program

FIRE BAD FIRE BAD!