Topic: Anybody know anything about growing roses?  (Read 1136 times)

JMM

Anybody know anything about growing roses?
« on: April 04, 2004, 12:42:41 pm »
We have two types here, seems the ones I bought were the ones that get huge and have many buds on one stem, but I found some tea hybrids this week, exactly what I wanted as they have long stems and are like the ones you get from the florist.

I've looked at the web and stuff and there is a lot of info, but no detailed instructions with pics. So, with a tea version, do I cut the whole stem off and leave a 1/4" above the main stem? When a bud is dying naturally, do I do the same?

If anyone does not know, could you please call a local nursery or florist and be kind enough to ask? I really want to make sure I get this right before I go off on them with the cutters. Thanks a bunch guys and gals.

http://www.scvrs.homestead.com/TypesOfRoses.html

The first rose is more or less what I'm dealing with, one rose per stem, nice body. The climbers are the other type I have, but I know how to deal with them. With climbers you keep the center of the the bush cut, lots of airy space, and when pruning cut at 45 degree angle towards the OUTSIDE of the bush.

Again, thanks.  

JMM

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2004, 12:42:41 pm »
We have two types here, seems the ones I bought were the ones that get huge and have many buds on one stem, but I found some tea hybrids this week, exactly what I wanted as they have long stems and are like the ones you get from the florist.

I've looked at the web and stuff and there is a lot of info, but no detailed instructions with pics. So, with a tea version, do I cut the whole stem off and leave a 1/4" above the main stem? When a bud is dying naturally, do I do the same?

If anyone does not know, could you please call a local nursery or florist and be kind enough to ask? I really want to make sure I get this right before I go off on them with the cutters. Thanks a bunch guys and gals.

The first rose is more or less what I'm dealing with, one rose per stem, nice body. The climbers are the other type I have, but I know how to deal with them. With climbers you keep the center of the the bush cut, lots of airy space, and when pruning cut at 45 degree angle towards the OUTSIDE of the bush.

Again, thanks.  

JMM

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2004, 12:42:41 pm »

Again, thanks.