Topic: Hardpointing a Planet so PD works. Who can Hardpoint?  (Read 1985 times)

Dizzy

Hardpointing a Planet so PD works. Who can Hardpoint?
« on: February 22, 2004, 01:29:03 pm »
This has long been a thorn in the D2 community. The weapon shots from planets almost always come from the N and S poles.

I believe this is why AMD and PlaD don't work because any drones or SS's that hit the planet's surface are simply too far from the poles for them to fire. Mission times are unbalanced because of this between Drone races vs Plasma races.

If this could be fixed, perhaps adding hardpoints along the periphery of the planets surface so AMD and PlaD could fire... Just an idea I had to an age old D2 problem. Would be really nice to get that fixed if it's possible.

Thanks,
Diz

Khalee

Re: Hardpointing a Planet so PD works. Who can Hardpoint?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2004, 02:07:52 pm »
Can they take hard points from someplace else than the poles? If so I can hard point, but Ive never really looked at the planets myself.

The_Infiltrator

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2004, 03:09:39 pm »
I think that's basically what Dizzy's asking.

Dizzy

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2004, 08:16:43 pm »
Quote:

I think that's basically what Dizzy's asking.  

What he said.

Heavens_Eagle

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2004, 10:14:32 pm »
Yes the planets could have hardpoints placed.  The physical hardpoints on a model are different from the UI hardpoints that are found in the graphic.
If I were to place physical hardpoints on a planet, the best way would be to place HP's 1 thru 10 equally spaced around the equator.  The place 11 thru 25 equally spaced apart as well.  The reason is that the heavy weapons are 1 thru 10 and the phasers are 11 thru 25.

Even with the hardpoints placed though the User Interface in the game will still only show a picture of the planet.  

Dizzy

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2004, 01:02:42 am »
Quote:

Yes the planets could have hardpoints placed.  The physical hardpoints on a model are different from the UI hardpoints that are found in the graphic.
If I were to place physical hardpoints on a planet, the best way would be to place HP's 1 thru 10 equally spaced around the equator.  The place 11 thru 25 equally spaced apart as well.  The reason is that the heavy weapons are 1 thru 10 and the phasers are 11 thru 25.

Even with the hardpoints placed though the User Interface in the game will still only show a picture of the planet.  

That sounds like encouraging news. Do you think your could equally space an alternating Heavy and Phaser hardpoint around a planet? Here's the tricky part... I think the hardpoint must be BARELY outside the edge of the planet model. I think the planet sureface may be an obstical for fire getting thru.

Think you could do that?

Fury_of_a_Seraph

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2004, 04:52:53 am »
a Glogal Defense Sat. could be added to the planet Model that would have the hardpoint there....just an idea.

Dizzy

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2004, 07:44:47 am »
Hrmmm...

This could also be done in the script. And probably easier as well, because all the planets would need to be redone that way. Or at least all the ones that have weapons... thats about 10-12?

I dunno. Is it possibly to put a bump on the planets surface... representing a ground based weapons platform? That'd be nice.

Dizzy

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2004, 10:14:11 pm »
Quote:

a Glogal Defense Sat. could be added to the planet Model that would have the hardpoint there....just an idea.  

That's a great idea. I thought about it and 90% of the planets use the same mesh. So doing one mesh does most of them in one fell swoop.

If there were a small 'square' mesh addition made at 6x equadistant locations along the equator using an extra bitmap and illuminate for the texture, could a hardpoint exist just barely outside that area so as not to block a shot from the planet mesh? If so, 1 heavy and 2 phaser hardpoints would need to be added to each of the 6x locations.

If that can be done, a HUGE problem with the D2 Planet Assault scripts would be fixed finally. For D2, this has been a constant flaw ever since the game started. This is a major biggie if it's possible.

Dogmatix!

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2004, 11:16:37 am »
You said it, Dizzy.  It would be really nice to see this finally addressed in an effective manner.

Dizzy

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2004, 01:08:37 pm »

Quote:

This has long been a thorn in the D2 community. The weapon shots from planets almost always come from the N and S poles.  

Forgot to mention that the heavy weapons that fire from the poles have to travel the distance from that point to the target... So PlaR torps run out of juice before they make it but a few k's from the planet equator... Pretty useless, heh.

Wonder if I can get Planets to rotate... OMG that would be wicked...  I bet I can.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Dizzy »

The_Infiltrator

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2004, 05:06:57 pm »
Add in the ability to launch fighters or PF's from the planet and you may even start to get close to a SFB planetary assault.

Strafer

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2004, 10:08:54 am »
Quote:

Wonder if I can get Planets to rotate... OMG that would be wicked...  I bet I can.

Maybe, but do you reaaaaaally wanna see a planet spinning like a starbase? WEEEEEEEEEEE!

Dogmatix!

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2004, 12:34:40 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Maybe, but do you reaaaaaally wanna see a planet spinning like a starbase? WEEEEEEEEEEE!  

Only if it goes really fast....and has a spiral design on it....black and white...yeah....groovy.

Fury_of_a_Seraph

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2004, 12:42:23 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Only if it goes really fast....and has a spiral design on it....black and white...yeah....groovy.

o.0