Topic: Conquest Mode  (Read 3700 times)

moosefoof

Conquest Mode
« on: January 18, 2003, 01:12:32 pm »
After completing the Campaign Missions, i thought i would try single player conquest.
There doesnt seem to be any kind of resistance by the enemy forces or counter attacks etc... is this normal? Should i expect any kind of retaliation as i plunder star bases and planets?
Thanks.

Also, the patch - my friend has bought a version but has no internet connection  , and so cannot download the patch(when released). Could he have it sent to him as the product he bought with his hard earned is faulty.

P.S. the friend is fictional

Cheers.  

two_one

Re: Conquest Mode
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2003, 11:07:44 pm »
yes the conquest mode is very poorly done as there is no retailation from the enemy ai and your ai isnt that smart as well so its you have to find the ships they never find you and it is normal to meet very little resistance.

Reverend

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2003, 09:03:54 pm »
I agree, I always enjoyed SFC2 in that I have heavy firewalls, and cannot connect to Dynaverse too often... it had a decent 'conquest mode'- different missions, monsters, the AI would almost once in awhile... SFC3 was just trhown together almost.... that is why I supported ActiveX with his Continuous Space Campaign- to make SFC3 more of a game, instead of almost having to log onto the Dynaverse to get any more fun that the Story Missions. This one is just.... lacking. The new add-ons are great; it was annoying not to be able to use the warp drive, nor to customize ships without buying a new one.
I was hoping for decent conquest mode, as I cannot connect to those kind of servers easily- a lot of people try to hack into my system... I guess I am glad to a little ST fix, better than nothing.

NuclearWessels

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2003, 09:18:05 pm »
If you want the enemy to launch more counter offensives and generally harass you more in conquest mode, then use Notepad to open the file Metaassets/ServerProfiles/SinglePlayer/Goal.gf and look for the section marked [ScenarioOdds/...]  - you'll find one section there for each race.

You can then decide (more or less) how agressive the AI is for each race.

If you want them to agressively attack your space, then set the following variables to something much higher than the default (e.g. 600 or so works nicely)
Code:

"BorderPatrolOffense"    =  600
"Offense"             = 600
"OffensePlanet"          =  100
"OffenseStarbase"       =  100
"HuntEnemy"             =  600

This makes it much more likely that an AI will be given an offensive mission than a "sit back and wait to be attacked" attitude

dave

moosefoof

Conquest Mode
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2003, 01:12:32 pm »
After completing the Campaign Missions, i thought i would try single player conquest.
There doesnt seem to be any kind of resistance by the enemy forces or counter attacks etc... is this normal? Should i expect any kind of retaliation as i plunder star bases and planets?
Thanks.

Also, the patch - my friend has bought a version but has no internet connection  , and so cannot download the patch(when released). Could he have it sent to him as the product he bought with his hard earned is faulty.

P.S. the friend is fictional

Cheers.  

two_one

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2003, 11:07:44 pm »
yes the conquest mode is very poorly done as there is no retailation from the enemy ai and your ai isnt that smart as well so its you have to find the ships they never find you and it is normal to meet very little resistance.

Reverend

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2003, 09:03:54 pm »
I agree, I always enjoyed SFC2 in that I have heavy firewalls, and cannot connect to Dynaverse too often... it had a decent 'conquest mode'- different missions, monsters, the AI would almost once in awhile... SFC3 was just trhown together almost.... that is why I supported ActiveX with his Continuous Space Campaign- to make SFC3 more of a game, instead of almost having to log onto the Dynaverse to get any more fun that the Story Missions. This one is just.... lacking. The new add-ons are great; it was annoying not to be able to use the warp drive, nor to customize ships without buying a new one.
I was hoping for decent conquest mode, as I cannot connect to those kind of servers easily- a lot of people try to hack into my system... I guess I am glad to a little ST fix, better than nothing.

NuclearWessels

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2003, 09:18:05 pm »
If you want the enemy to launch more counter offensives and generally harass you more in conquest mode, then use Notepad to open the file Metaassets/ServerProfiles/SinglePlayer/Goal.gf and look for the section marked [ScenarioOdds/...]  - you'll find one section there for each race.

You can then decide (more or less) how agressive the AI is for each race.

If you want them to agressively attack your space, then set the following variables to something much higher than the default (e.g. 600 or so works nicely)
Code:

"BorderPatrolOffense"    =  600
"Offense"             = 600
"OffensePlanet"          =  100
"OffenseStarbase"       =  100
"HuntEnemy"             =  600

This makes it much more likely that an AI will be given an offensive mission than a "sit back and wait to be attacked" attitude

dave