Topic: Kaos mod withdrawn as requested  (Read 1409 times)

ELITEKaos

Kaos mod withdrawn as requested
« on: January 26, 2004, 12:05:34 pm »
Dear sirs,

I have been informed that I must remove the kaos mod, this has been done and all players have been notified that the mod is no longer inuse due to the inclusion of the build 531 files.  as for "Taldren Admin Ann Cox sent an Email to the maker of this Mod, and as of yet Taldren has been ignored." I am easy to contact. My fleets forums are listed on my site and I can be contacted through there (not any more as the site has been removed for now.)

I will re-release the mod under build 500 and those of us who play the game in gamespy will just have to wait until you decide to release it officially.

If you would like to know how the build 531 faired with use in gamespy then please contact me and I will let you know the results and what people thought of it in general.

Again I appologise for the use of these files, I was under the impression that they were OK for use as the place I got them from didnt have any kind of copyright notice regarding them.  I will contact the 2 places that are holding mirrors and have them removed ASAP.

After playing the SFC games since they were first released and having been a fan of Star Fleet Battles I have no wish to do anything to upset you.

Regards

Justin Webley  

ELITEKaos

Re: Kaos mod withdrawn as requested
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2004, 12:11:51 pm »
I have just checked the mirror sites and the offending files have been removed.  The only version left available is what I call the v28 BETA which uses build 500.

I must say that after talking with friends and other players who use Game Spy NOT dynaverse that we are now feeling ignored by Taldren over the whole patch issue.  It is clear that the dynaverse community is getting better treatment than the rest of us who payed just as much money for the game (2 Copys in my case, at full price) and play the game for just as long.

Yes we can use the mods such as Unity and Dominion Wars in Game Spy but the take too long to load to make them vialble in the skirmish environment we use.  Im not trying to make trouble, just pointing out that we will be expected to use the patch when it is released unyet no-one is asking us if this new build will solve our problems, wants and desires as far as SFC3 is concerned.

ELITE-Kaos  

NannerSlug

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2004, 01:53:32 pm »
the main issue is that the "special" builds released by taldren was to test for the upcoming patch. dominion wars, generations at war and one other up coming mod (maybe 2) have been granted permission to use the special builds. These mods are created by beta testers and have signed off on a numbe of agreements. this is the main issue.

my question to you is this, do none of these mods function in GSA skirmish play? i think taldren appreciates your cooperation. Trust me when i say that we all hope that a patch is approved soon so everyone can make their own mod. nothing would thrill people more than that (and it would allow taldren to not have to worry and spend time on these issues).

keep your fingers crossed!

jimmi7769

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2004, 04:53:02 pm »
I think he's saying that they do function but that they take too long to load up from the GSA window to the game interface when a match is started.

ELITEKaos

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2004, 02:20:51 am »
Hello,

The new build mods do work with gamespy, very well infact! but the issue is loading time...

My mod had 73 new ships and yet I made it load faster than the normal "patched" version, this is all down to the core files and the fact that each ship was fitted with just the bare essentials need to make it appear in the refit screen.  All of the big mods could benifit from having a game spy mode (This I have offered to do In each post for the Kaos mod).  I have had dominion wars load in 30 seconds and Im sure unity and Generations would respond in the same way.

Taldren have now been in touch with me and this matter resolved.  Thankyou to everyone who has posted a responce, good and bad, in all of the forums where this issue has been raised...

ITS GOOD TO TALK!

ELITE-Kaos  

The_Pelican

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2004, 02:53:47 pm »
Quote:

I have just checked the mirror sites and the offending files have been removed.  The only version left available is what I call the v28 BETA which uses build 500.

I must say that after talking with friends and other players who use Game Spy NOT dynaverse that we are now feeling ignored by Taldren over the whole patch issue.  It is clear that the dynaverse community is getting better treatment than the rest of us who payed just as much money for the game (2 Copys in my case, at full price) and play the game for just as long.

Yes we can use the mods such as Unity and Dominion Wars in Game Spy but the take too long to load to make them vialble in the skirmish environment we use.  Im not trying to make trouble, just pointing out that we will be expected to use the patch when it is released unyet no-one is asking us if this new build will solve our problems, wants and desires as far as SFC3 is concerned.

ELITE-Kaos  

It is possible to modify the Dominion Wars Mod to make it load faster for Skirmish Mode - there should be a Skirmish folder under "Dom_Wars_Files". Open up the DefaultLoadOut.txt file, and remove all lines which have "AI" by them, and "NS". This will optimise the mod for use with Skirmish Mode. You can remove the AI races as well, presuming you do not wish to use their ships in Skirmish Mode.

This should drastically increase the loading time. I will make a note to include a bat file which optimise the mod for use with Gamespy in the next version.

Turtlefish

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2004, 03:30:14 pm »
after you've installed the game, go to you cinematics folder and rename the all of the loading films...ie..add a 1 or something to the end of the name....you'll jump straight to the loading screen.  It helps alot with the load time and not having to click past all the cinematics.  Hope this helps somewhat.

Turtle

ELITEKaos

Kaos mod withdrawn as requested
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2004, 12:05:34 pm »
Dear sirs,

I have been informed that I must remove the kaos mod, this has been done and all players have been notified that the mod is no longer inuse due to the inclusion of the build 531 files.  as for "Taldren Admin Ann Cox sent an Email to the maker of this Mod, and as of yet Taldren has been ignored." I am easy to contact. My fleets forums are listed on my site and I can be contacted through there (not any more as the site has been removed for now.)

I will re-release the mod under build 500 and those of us who play the game in gamespy will just have to wait until you decide to release it officially.

If you would like to know how the build 531 faired with use in gamespy then please contact me and I will let you know the results and what people thought of it in general.

Again I appologise for the use of these files, I was under the impression that they were OK for use as the place I got them from didnt have any kind of copyright notice regarding them.  I will contact the 2 places that are holding mirrors and have them removed ASAP.

After playing the SFC games since they were first released and having been a fan of Star Fleet Battles I have no wish to do anything to upset you.

Regards

Justin Webley  

ELITEKaos

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2004, 12:11:51 pm »

ELITE-Kaos  

NannerSlug

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2004, 01:53:32 pm »
the main issue is that the "special" builds released by taldren was to test for the upcoming patch. dominion wars, generations at war and one other up coming mod (maybe 2) have been granted permission to use the special builds. These mods are created by beta testers and have signed off on a numbe of agreements. this is the main issue.

my question to you is this, do none of these mods function in GSA skirmish play? i think taldren appreciates your cooperation. Trust me when i say that we all hope that a patch is approved soon so everyone can make their own mod. nothing would thrill people more than that (and it would allow taldren to not have to worry and spend time on these issues).

keep your fingers crossed!

jimmi7769

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2004, 04:53:02 pm »
I think he's saying that they do function but that they take too long to load up from the GSA window to the game interface when a match is started.

ELITEKaos

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2004, 02:20:51 am »
Hello,

The new build mods do work with gamespy, very well infact! but the issue is loading time...

My mod had 73 new ships and yet I made it load faster than the normal "patched" version, this is all down to the core files and the fact that each ship was fitted with just the bare essentials need to make it appear in the refit screen.  All of the big mods could benifit from having a game spy mode (This I have offered to do In each post for the Kaos mod).  I have had dominion wars load in 30 seconds and Im sure unity and Generations would respond in the same way.

Taldren have now been in touch with me and this matter resolved.  Thankyou to everyone who has posted a responce, good and bad, in all of the forums where this issue has been raised...

ITS GOOD TO TALK!

ELITE-Kaos  

The_Pelican

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2004, 02:53:47 pm »
Quote:

ELITE-Kaos  

It is possible to modify the Dominion Wars Mod to make it load faster for Skirmish Mode - there should be a Skirmish folder under "Dom_Wars_Files". Open up the DefaultLoadOut.txt file, and remove all lines which have "AI" by them, and "NS". This will optimise the mod for use with Skirmish Mode. You can remove the AI races as well, presuming you do not wish to use their ships in Skirmish Mode.

This should drastically increase the loading time. I will make a note to include a bat file which optimise the mod for use with Gamespy in the next version.

Turtlefish

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2004, 03:30:14 pm »
after you've installed the game, go to you cinematics folder and rename the all of the loading films...ie..add a 1 or something to the end of the name....you'll jump straight to the loading screen.  It helps alot with the load time and not having to click past all the cinematics.  Hope this helps somewhat.

Turtle