Topic: SFC II crash after patching, this my first install of the game  (Read 6091 times)

Dre

SFC II crash after patching, this my first install of the game
« on: January 25, 2004, 04:55:38 pm »
Hiy all,
i just installed SFC II today, and i got it patched when i got onto gamespy, cause the refit link within the installed did not work,
but now my problem is that when i do try to open the game.

I get Invalid page fault in MSS32.dll and CRASH back to desk top, i even went to the creative web site and updated my
audio drivers, and still the same crash error, im not running anything but gamespy and trying to get the game to play.
I have DirectX 9.0 and winddows 98 SE, wich is also updated as of today when i checked the windows update site,
Im even closing down all programs except what i need to / must have running, also im on a cable modem if means anything.

It would be great if anyone could give me any idea what i need to or should do, or what might be causeing the problem,
OH and i even check the microsoft web site  Knowledge Base and i did not find anything even close to the crash and error that im getting.

Thanks
Dre  

Pestalence

Re: SFC II crash after patching, this my first install of the game
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2004, 05:09:10 pm »
Have you attempted a reinstall of SFC 2, and are you using Norton Anti-Virus on your machine?

If you are using Norton, when patching, may corrupt the game patch during the patch install.

what you will need to do is uninstall SFC 2 using add/remove programs in control pannel, then delete the Taldren game folder.

Completely disable Norton

Reinstall SFC 2 EAW, patch using patch v2036 which you can get here on the boards in the announcements section or from my SFC 2 EAW web page at http://www.nightsoftware.com/effhq/sfc22.html

make sure which version of SFC 2 you have.. the patches are region specific. there is a US patch, a UK patch and a German patch. All of which brings the games to the same version.

this is of course assuming you are talking about Empires At War.. there are 2 Starfleet Command 2 games.. Starfleet Command 2 : Empires at War and Starfleet Command 2 : Orion Pirates (Standalone expansion to Empires At War) [the best of the 2 IMHO]

hope that this helps
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Pestalence »

Dre

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2004, 06:29:57 am »
Hiya Pestalence, thanks for getting back to me.

That i have not thought of, and i thought i was giving enuff info with my post OOPS,
yes i do have norton and for the life of me i can't remember if i had norton running or not, ummm now that i think of it
Norton did not flash me with its Virus screen when i was installing, so i figured it was not running.

Im guessing that you mean that i should go into MSCONFIG and shut down norton, as for the patch, i was given a link from another player on gamespy so i could patch, so i have no idea when the patch came from, i just clicked it and started the install, this perosn was trying to help and even after the patch completed and i was crashing. Also the patch did not give any warnings, it in fact stated that the patch completed with no error's.

As to the games i have installed, StarFleet Comand Gold edition and StarFleet Comand 2 empires at war  ONLY, i do have orion pirates but did not install it as of yet, i wanted to make sure the first two were working okay with no problems first.

Also i forgot to ask in my first post, before and after i patched, i could not play the Tutorial, when i tried to play the Tutorial to teach my self it just crashed if you have any idea why this is also happing.

And i will try doing as you had stated in your reply and see how it goes from there.

Thanks again
Dre.

Pestalence

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2004, 06:52:05 am »
Ok, as for SFC 1 you can obtain patching instructions from my web site at http://www.nightsoftware.com/effhq/sfc12.html

for SFC 2 EAW, there should be a setting in norton to turn it off, not just in MSCONFIG, but MSCONFIG is the easiest way.

also, when running SFC 1, use the Starfleet.exe game file and not the SFC.exe game file.. if the game launches and plays a movie, chances are the game is going to error.. use the STarfleet.exe to bypass the movie and it will greatly reduce the chances of game crash.. SFC 1 last patch was v1.03 and is available on my site.

same with SFC 2 EAW, use the Starfleet2.exe game launch file after you patch.

After patching SFC 2 EAW, you can re-enable norton if you like.. however on GSA or Dynaverse, if Norton is not set up correctly (and i don't have those settings, I use AVG which is a FREE anti-virus mainly used by the Government and State Official Offices) then you may have issues in Gamespy Arcade and / or Dynaverse II servers.

You can read more information on my website for SFC 2 at the link i posted in my first posting...

hope that this helps.

Dre

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2004, 07:04:10 am »
Okay very good thanks again and will let you know how it all works out here,

Crossing me wittle fat fingers    

Dre

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2004, 07:35:35 am »
Quote:

Got another question, is it better to install the SFC 1 and 2 in different folders or can i just install SFC2 EAW in a sub folder of SFC, figure i would ask first before reinstalling  

Dre

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2004, 11:20:19 am »
Okay so far so good,

Reinstall , Check

Patch , Check

Short cut change  SCF2.exe  to StarFleet.exe , check

Game opened with no problems  

Oh yeah and going to get that other Download off your site for the added ships.

Then to see if the tutorial will work as it should.

Crossing my wittle fat fingers again.    

Dre

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2004, 03:48:14 pm »
Just a quick note here,

Thanks again for all your help, its all working good now,

Except for the teeny tinny ship im given to kill a heavey cruser geeze.    

Pestalence

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2004, 04:17:17 pm »
Great !!! Glad it is working for ya !!!!

feargusf

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2004, 05:55:33 pm »
Quote:

All that I can say to that is persevere. The Heavy Cruiser is, after all, an AI, and they are mostly dumber than dirt (except in those brief moments when they happen to get extremely lucky!) You have the advantage here, it is called save and reload. Learn from your mistakes, and develop better tactics. You'll soon be taking down AIs that should, if we were just looking at BPV, be able to wipe the floor with you!  

Dre

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2004, 07:44:03 am »
Oh i was able to take a heavey cruiser, BUT my wittle ship got dinged up pretty good, one of the missions had me up against
4 heavey cruiser's, Ummm those AI's swept the stars with me HAHAHAHAHAHA.

But last night I was able to get up enough points to where i can buy a new,  Improved Dreadnought F-DNG,
i am playing the single players missions for a little bit so i can work most of my mistakes pretty much, before i play online in multi player.  

feargusf

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2004, 05:44:47 pm »
Good idea! There are plenty of servers around. I'm sure that when the time comes, some helpful soul from around here will take you under his wing and get you acquainted with the online game. There's a good community here, one of the best I've found for a computer game.

See you out there!  

Dre

SFC II crash after patching, this my first install of the game
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2004, 04:55:38 pm »
Hiy all,
i just installed SFC II today, and i got it patched when i got onto gamespy, cause the refit link within the installed did not work,
but now my problem is that when i do try to open the game.

I get Invalid page fault in MSS32.dll and CRASH back to desk top, i even went to the creative web site and updated my
audio drivers, and still the same crash error, im not running anything but gamespy and trying to get the game to play.
I have DirectX 9.0 and winddows 98 SE, wich is also updated as of today when i checked the windows update site,
Im even closing down all programs except what i need to / must have running, also im on a cable modem if means anything.

It would be great if anyone could give me any idea what i need to or should do, or what might be causeing the problem,
OH and i even check the microsoft web site  Knowledge Base and i did not find anything even close to the crash and error that im getting.

Thanks
Dre  

Pestalence

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2004, 05:09:10 pm »
Have you attempted a reinstall of SFC 2, and are you using Norton Anti-Virus on your machine?

If you are using Norton, when patching, may corrupt the game patch during the patch install.

what you will need to do is uninstall SFC 2 using add/remove programs in control pannel, then delete the Taldren game folder.

Completely disable Norton

Reinstall SFC 2 EAW, patch using patch v2036 which you can get here on the boards in the announcements section or from my SFC 2 EAW web page at http://www.nightsoftware.com/effhq/sfc22.html

make sure which version of SFC 2 you have.. the patches are region specific. there is a US patch, a UK patch and a German patch. All of which brings the games to the same version.

this is of course assuming you are talking about Empires At War.. there are 2 Starfleet Command 2 games.. Starfleet Command 2 : Empires at War and Starfleet Command 2 : Orion Pirates (Standalone expansion to Empires At War) [the best of the 2 IMHO]

hope that this helps
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Pestalence »

Dre

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2004, 06:29:57 am »
Hiya Pestalence, thanks for getting back to me.

That i have not thought of, and i thought i was giving enuff info with my post OOPS,
yes i do have norton and for the life of me i can't remember if i had norton running or not, ummm now that i think of it
Norton did not flash me with its Virus screen when i was installing, so i figured it was not running.

Im guessing that you mean that i should go into MSCONFIG and shut down norton, as for the patch, i was given a link from another player on gamespy so i could patch, so i have no idea when the patch came from, i just clicked it and started the install, this perosn was trying to help and even after the patch completed and i was crashing. Also the patch did not give any warnings, it in fact stated that the patch completed with no error's.

As to the games i have installed, StarFleet Comand Gold edition and StarFleet Comand 2 empires at war  ONLY, i do have orion pirates but did not install it as of yet, i wanted to make sure the first two were working okay with no problems first.

Also i forgot to ask in my first post, before and after i patched, i could not play the Tutorial, when i tried to play the Tutorial to teach my self it just crashed if you have any idea why this is also happing.

And i will try doing as you had stated in your reply and see how it goes from there.

Thanks again
Dre.

Pestalence

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2004, 06:52:05 am »
Ok, as for SFC 1 you can obtain patching instructions from my web site at http://www.nightsoftware.com/effhq/sfc12.html

for SFC 2 EAW, there should be a setting in norton to turn it off, not just in MSCONFIG, but MSCONFIG is the easiest way.

also, when running SFC 1, use the Starfleet.exe game file and not the SFC.exe game file.. if the game launches and plays a movie, chances are the game is going to error.. use the STarfleet.exe to bypass the movie and it will greatly reduce the chances of game crash.. SFC 1 last patch was v1.03 and is available on my site.

same with SFC 2 EAW, use the Starfleet2.exe game launch file after you patch.

After patching SFC 2 EAW, you can re-enable norton if you like.. however on GSA or Dynaverse, if Norton is not set up correctly (and i don't have those settings, I use AVG which is a FREE anti-virus mainly used by the Government and State Official Offices) then you may have issues in Gamespy Arcade and / or Dynaverse II servers.

You can read more information on my website for SFC 2 at the link i posted in my first posting...

hope that this helps.

Dre

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2004, 07:04:10 am »

Dre

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2004, 07:35:35 am »
Quote:

Got another question, is it better to install the SFC 1 and 2 in different folders or can i just install SFC2 EAW in a sub folder of SFC, figure i would ask first before reinstalling  

Dre

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2004, 11:20:19 am »
Okay so far so good,

Reinstall , Check

Patch , Check

Short cut change  SCF2.exe  to StarFleet.exe , check

Game opened with no problems  

Oh yeah and going to get that other Download off your site for the added ships.

Then to see if the tutorial will work as it should.

Crossing my wittle fat fingers again.    

Dre

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2004, 03:48:14 pm »
Just a quick note here,

Thanks again for all your help, its all working good now,

Pestalence

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2004, 04:17:17 pm »
Great !!! Glad it is working for ya !!!!

feargusf

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2004, 05:55:33 pm »
Quote:

All that I can say to that is persevere. The Heavy Cruiser is, after all, an AI, and they are mostly dumber than dirt (except in those brief moments when they happen to get extremely lucky!) You have the advantage here, it is called save and reload. Learn from your mistakes, and develop better tactics. You'll soon be taking down AIs that should, if we were just looking at BPV, be able to wipe the floor with you!  

Dre

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2004, 07:44:03 am »
Oh i was able to take a heavey cruiser, BUT my wittle ship got dinged up pretty good, one of the missions had me up against
4 heavey cruiser's, Ummm those AI's swept the stars with me HAHAHAHAHAHA.

But last night I was able to get up enough points to where i can buy a new,  Improved Dreadnought F-DNG,
i am playing the single players missions for a little bit so i can work most of my mistakes pretty much, before i play online in multi player.  

feargusf

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2004, 05:44:47 pm »
Good idea! There are plenty of servers around. I'm sure that when the time comes, some helpful soul from around here will take you under his wing and get you acquainted with the online game. There's a good community here, one of the best I've found for a computer game.

See you out there!