Topic: Converting A2 to SFC3.mod  (Read 3967 times)

battlestar001

Converting A2 to SFC3.mod
« on: January 08, 2004, 03:15:58 pm »
Does anoy one know of a guide or can anyone tell me how to convert an Armada 1 or 2 .sod file in to an SFC3.mod file? Im dying to convert the tyhpoon class cruiser forom ST:invasion.

atheorhaven

Re: Converting A2 to SFC3.mod
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2004, 06:02:42 pm »
Think I've mentioned this in the past.. but if you can get permission from someone the guy(s) who modelled it to have it converted, I'll convert it over for you.  

I always try to get permission first because that usually takes longer to get than to get the model across.  And do you have a download link for it where it can be d/l'ed from?  Then I can do a test conversion and see how well it ports..

But one of the things that you're going to find is that during the getting anything across from Armada, the biggest problem may be the Armada community.  They've had stuff ported over from Armada to SFC without permission in the past, just as the SFC community has had stuff ripped into BC without permission. That's why I don't port without permission.  

And I know how angry that can make you, it's happened to me now at least five times and is the reason why I now include credits with the file stating that if the ship is to be ported to another platform outside SFC, that I be contacted and have permission asked of me.  So far, that's been ignored and has caused me to have some serious thoughts of quitting any Trek work whatsoever.  You can't steal what doesn't exist after all..

I'm sent a private PM here and also sent direct email in an attempt to get the latest batches (posted up for Christmas in the BC forums) of ported SFC ships' credits corrected (basically, to have my name included somewhere in the list), but I've not heard back at all from the individual in 5 days now.  If it goes a week, then I'll post a general message here where he's less likely to miss it.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2004, 06:13:37 pm by atheorhaven »

battlestar001

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2004, 02:53:15 pm »
thanks. I will get the permission right away.

Major A Payne

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2004, 02:03:26 pm »
@atheorhaven. Hi (pansy way to start a reply but what the hell). Anyway, just to let you know, I'm the one who created around 90% of the Typhon mesh, and if you wish to convert it feel free. It might not look to good in game though as its a bit low poly (I think its under 1000 polys), so its up to you. As far as I remember there is a readme with it, but for credit purposes the following can be applied:

- Galaxy Nacelles: These were borrowed from Andy "Deemon" Johns second remake of his Galaxy class for the Millenium Project 1.9se
- Textures: You may recognise them as being from the USS Nakota (Guncutter Class), which was Mind Blips (If I'm not mistaken).

As for the rest of the mesh, I'm not worried to much about personal credit, and please feel free to remake the mesh if its to low poly. Besides which I've done my fair share of SFC to Armada conversions/rebuilds so its time to replay the favour that this community has done.

atheorhaven

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2004, 03:24:53 pm »
Well, I'l download it and give it a once over.. if it looks all right, then I'll convert it over.

Do you have a download link to this one?

Major A Payne

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2004, 12:26:00 am »

atheorhaven

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2004, 04:40:21 pm »
Took me a bit, but I found it, and am currently downloading it..

More news later..

atheorhaven

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2004, 06:24:13 pm »
Okay, have it converted...

And hp/dp'ed as well.. there's only two things.. one, what class and size is this ship?  Something like an FCV?  
And how does one get ahold of the remaining people in the credits for release permission?  From what I remember, Deemon (if it's the same fellow) doesn't like to have his stuff ported..

Major A Payne

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2004, 09:24:48 pm »
Athe. Deemon, should be fine. I consulted with him on the usage of kitbashing his models before, and at the time he stated that as long as I provided images or meshes of my work as well as full credit for any section used then all would be well. This particular mesh is quite old now anyway, as it is, and I believe he's made at least 2 new versions of his Galaxy class since then. However, if you wish me to I'll try to contact him (which currently isn't easy seeing as his workload for EA is somewhat large), and direct him to this posting.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2004, 09:26:01 pm by Major A Payne »

Viper/VR

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2004, 05:37:00 pm »
Dont worry about Deemon, MaP has been given permission so its all good.

atheorhaven

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2004, 11:09:27 am »
Alrighty then.. if it's all good, then I'll put it up for download today..

battlestar001

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2004, 11:58:16 am »
wow. Is'ent she a thing of beauty. Shes a carrier class ship. and i love the sight ov her, lol. Just need the valcriee now. Once shes up for download can u post the link?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by battlestar001 »

atheorhaven

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2004, 01:02:13 pm »
Okay, then she is something like an FCV in the TNG era.. I'll try to scale it appropriately then before release.  I'll scale via the nacelles seeing I can scale them against the Galaxy Class then..

battlestar001

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2004, 01:41:10 pm »
as i remember shes a mobile outpost / carrier designed to be the first line of defance against the borg.  thanks for converting her

atheorhaven

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2004, 04:32:51 am »
Okay guys, here's the download link..

http://www.the-tcs.net/_hosted/atheorhaven/html/userfiles/ships/trek/sfc2/typhoon_sfc2.zip

This is the SFC 2 version.. but just noted (again) that you wanted this in SFC 3 as well.. which means a bit more work.  Expect that in a few days..

And someone had mentioned a Venture (the little scout from ST:Insurrection) conversion as well.. that's done as well, and sitting on my HD.  Will check the credit file and see who put it out and ask for permission to release..
« Last Edit: January 18, 2004, 04:34:52 am by atheorhaven »

battlestar001

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2004, 09:27:29 am »
wow, she looks great

Kaenyne

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2004, 09:57:11 am »
Hey, this is cool!

I've played Star Trek Invasion a lot and thought the Typhoon was a fairly original looking Fed design.

But the real stars of the game are the fighters. Even the Borg have 'em too. If you want a cheap and simple shooter to play, pick it up if not for the fighter designs.