Topic: Arthorhaven  (Read 1176 times)

starforce2

Arthorhaven
« on: August 23, 2003, 02:59:02 am »
U ever able to sort out the mapping issues with mackies magellan?

starforce2

Re: Arthorhaven
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2003, 02:21:09 am »
bump!

atheorhaven

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2003, 03:48:59 am »
do me one favour.. when you make a post asking me if I've done some work on this, then at least spell my name right.  If you're not sure how to spell it, then please ask.  My pseudo is a combination of first and last names.

a= alec
theorhaven=exactly as it looks
---------------
atheorhaven

It'd be like me calling you "stirfrost3Z"... I doubt that you'd be too happy with that.

Now to answer your question, I've not done any mapping on the Magellen mainly because I've not been asked to do so by Mackie as of yet.  I've been converting over his other projects as I have time between getting my stored stuff 500+ miles out of the way of a forest fire, ending my employment, looking for new work, getting interviews, getting a car on the road, and generally RL issues.  As of August 31, HP (and consequently Compaq, the company that I was working for) is moving all it's technical support to India.  Seeing as I'm not really keen on moving to India (and wasn't actually given the choice to even), I'm looking for new work.  That kind of takes precedence.  

But on the bright side I have an interview in the morning with a national phone company to try and get on on their broadband internet or dialup support lines.  And we're (hopefully) getting out car tomorrow, plus getting it insured so that we can take it for a 3 1/2 hour trip Friday evening for the weekend.

I'll get to it, but I'm going to get out what he'd asked of me to do first and foremost, then revisit the mapping on the Magellen.  And I'll also try to have some form of RL.  K?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by atheorhaven »

Bernard Guignard

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2003, 06:22:08 am »
Hi Atheorhaven
    Good luck on the job interview I was laid off last Thursday so I can relate to that feeling . I hope that things
work out for the best. As soon as I start to replace some of the ship models in Firesouls mods with  your work I'll send you
some results. All the best to you and yours.    
« Last Edit: August 28, 2003, 06:56:46 am by Bernard Guignard »

Mackie

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2003, 06:37:39 am »
what mapping issues?  
I never realised you had a life alec   (jk)

atheorhaven

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2003, 10:50:17 am »
Thanks Bernard..

[rant mode] As was typical in these kinds of decisions, someone at HP decided that they were going to try and boost their profit margin by outsourcing their technical support to India, where they can put 4 people on the phones for the wage of 1 in Canada.  The thing that cheeses me off the most though is the way that the centers in India have worked in the past in my experience (and this is learned from several thousands of calls): Take the call, refuse to listen to anything other than verification information (don't listen to the problem) of the customer, check warranty status, if customer is out of warranty then try to sell warranty.  If customer refuses to buy warranty, transfer to another person who will repeat the process, process repeats until either warranty is sold or customer hangs up.  Once warranty is sold, transfer now very frigging irate customer to our Canadian centre, even if India is the center that was supposed to handle the call, so that the line is free to take another call to try and sell them a warranty.  The reason for this?  India gets a commision on every warranty sold, where we didn't.  It was rare to see a case where someone actually got some actual technical help out of India.  And this is where technical support is going... should be really great once the transfers "out of India" start transferring the calls just to another center there.  And it's going to be the HP/Compaq customer that is going to suffer the most because they're going to be subjected to this garbage. That's what makes me the maddest about losing my job here. [/rant mode]

It slowly devolving past the anger to the acceptance stage.. and I have that interview today, so we'll see how that goes.  

Thanks for the word on the replacements, look forward to seeing how they look.  

Quote:

from the |\/|4(k5t3r:
what mapping issues?
I never realised you had a life alec (jk)

Not really much of one of my own... I work, have a kid, and am married.    starforce says there's some problems with the way that the Magellen was mapped that showed up during my conversion of it to SFC.  I'll look at it (and call it v2) after I get the rest of the stuff converted over and my personal projects complete, plus get my plate empty of RL issues.

sandman69247

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2003, 11:16:07 am »
DUDE!! RL sux at times, but hang in there and good luck on your interview.

starforce2

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2003, 03:51:36 pm »
yea mackie, some of the windows I believe ended up on the pylons and the deflectors are not gold, they are grey hull color and....?? been a while since I looked at it myself. Either way, the pic u have on your site did not match what I got when I rendered the mod version, so I assume there is a mapping error of some kind.

ANyways, good luck on the job, and hope u can keep out of that fire. Is it heading for your house?

edit: there was one other ship with mapping problems besides the magellan. it was the nickasalus. Lower saucer has a doubled outer ring. U get extra marker lights.
http://www.armadafleetcommand.com/~starforce2/pic/Niskalaukaus3.jpg

Otherwise I believe those were the only 2 errors, atleast related to mapping. The rest are like missing titties on the tmp phaser banks, or missing tmp phaserbanks period, missing lightmaps (all of which I've since found of other ships) or lightmaps that were too dim (the big dreadnought) also fixed. Also, I changed the bussards on the davids tos cuz they were so dark a red they didn't glow (almost black infact)

if you add these 2 file names to the link above for the niskalaka..whatever...you'll see the errors on the magellan.
Magellen0.jpg and Magellen2.jpg
« Last Edit: August 28, 2003, 05:38:49 pm by starforce2 »

James Formo

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2003, 07:35:30 pm »
Atheorhaven, Good luck on the job interview. I remember trying to get tech support from AOL and it was all Indian and they had less tech knowledge then me. Eventually I dropped AOL and got Netzero. Along with a bunch of other people. Think Compaq/HP,  whatever they are now will end up losing profits over this in the long haul. I realize that this is no solace to you as your out of a job. Hand in there, might be an opportunity to get an even better job.  I am in the job search myself. Only too bummed out atm and not putting the effort into it I need to.  Hope the fire misses your area, geez everything at once hey?