Topic: Model modification in SFC/SFC OP  (Read 7649 times)

Holocat

Model modification in SFC/SFC OP
« on: February 16, 2003, 03:47:45 am »
Well, I bet that this question has been posted about a billion times since SFC 1 was released, and I hope i'm not ostrasized for being yet the next one to ask, but here it goes:

How do you import/export SFC/SFC OP models?  I've looked about for that modding101.zip that's supposedly containing a nice beginner's tutorial, but I can't find it anywhere.  Can't find any tutorials on frostworks that's SFC or OP related.

I've currently got milkshape and Truespace loaded on my computer, so I don't THINK I can use the 3d studio plugin from taldren...

Oh well, it's worth a shot,

Holocat  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Holocat »

3dot14

Re: Model modification in SFC/SFC OP
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2003, 05:49:17 am »
the documentation for degrading a model (2 to 1) is not as deatailed as upgrading (1 to 2 and 2 to 3). Which is why you might have trouble finding them.

In one sentence: you need to REMOVE the illumination maps on a SFC2 (or 3) model textures.

I have no idea how that's done with milkshape.

but you can start by trying to visit Starfleet Universe - Download section and Modelling page.
There is a milkshape plugin for SFC.

DonKarnage

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2003, 06:06:02 pm »
if you want to add new mod to your game well its easy, contact me by email and i will give you detail on how to do that.

DonKarnage@videotron.ca

Holocat

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2003, 02:40:51 am »
Although I AM trying to actually modify the models themselves, any help on anything related to importing/exporting would be a big help;  I've been goofing about with the model in truespace, and although I have the shape I now want, I think I screwed up a bunch of verticies, as there's no longer 'skin' on some of the polys.  Oh well, i'm learning.

Anyway, thanks all,

Holocat.

Holocat

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2003, 03:43:11 am »
Okay, now I have a 'real' problem.

I ripped the hardpoints file with assimview, then used milkshape to convert the mod to an 3ds ascii (asc) format.  Using truespace, I managed to get the new, nifty square torpedo tube area onto the DD I was playing around with.  I only moved verticies, not creating new ones.  The whole thing skinned properly, so it seemed fine.

When I used milkshape to export it back to a mod file, I tried taldren's mod viewer and assimview to load it, so I could get the hardpoints back in place.

Both programs crash mysteriously.

Are there any general reasons a modified mod file won't load?  The change I made to the model wasn't particularly extensive, just an extension and a bit of tucking here and there.

A point of oddity was that both before and after, the ship appears untextured in both Milkshape and Truespace.  Am I accidentally removing something, do I have to reapply the textures, or...?

If anyone thinks they might know what's going on and needs more info, just meow at me.

Hoping to refit its destroyer before Milkshape's unregistered existance expires,

Holocat.  

FireSoul

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2003, 01:38:43 am »
.. hey..
.. you're making models for the OP+? Huh? Huh? Huh?

-- Luc

Holocat

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2003, 10:38:35 am »
LOL.  I was trying to, anyway.  

It dun work though;  I can't seem to get my models to port over, after modification.  

Can you (or anyone else, for that matter) point me as to some basics on making these things?  My guess would be that i'm missing something easily spotted, but for my total and unequivoical lack or experience.  Perhaps a kitbasher's FAQ?  Anything.  REALLY. (where's a 'desperate' smily when you need one   )

Lacking experience, but willing,

Holocat.

Rod O'neal

Re: Model modification in SFC/SFC OP *DELETED*
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2003, 11:00:22 am »
Post deleted by Rod O'neal

Holocat

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2003, 12:24:01 pm »
Err, as implied by my first post, I can't find it, and that was the first place I looked.

Page still 404's btw.

HTTP 909 - cat not fed,

Holocat.

EDIT: That would be the zip on the page, not the page itself, err.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2003, 12:24:58 pm by Holocat »

Rod O'neal

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2003, 01:13:10 pm »
Quote:

http://www.strategyplanet.com/sfc/tutorials.shtml
Here's where you can find the "modding 101" tut. by Wicked Zombie.  

OOPS didn't realise it was a dead link. I might have it on disc. I'll look and let you know  

Rod O'neal

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2003, 07:45:44 pm »
OK, I found WZ's "modding 101". If you'd like I can e-mail it to you. It's only 485kb. Just let me know.

Holocat

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2003, 07:48:45 pm »
YAY!!  

FireSoul

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2003, 03:07:15 am »
Quote:

LOL.  I was trying to, anyway.  

It dun work though;  I can't seem to get my models to port over, after modification.  

Can you (or anyone else, for that matter) point me as to some basics on making these things?  My guess would be that i'm missing something easily spotted, but for my total and unequivoical lack or experience.  Perhaps a kitbasher's FAQ?  Anything.  REALLY. (where's a 'desperate' smily when you need one   )

I have no idea on how to do this myself..
That and the fact I don't have the software.
-- Luc

3dot14

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2003, 05:58:27 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

http://www.strategyplanet.com/sfc/tutorials.shtml
Here's where you can find the "modding 101" tut. by Wicked Zombie.  

OOPS didn't realise it was a dead link. I might have it on disc. I'll look and let you know  

Thanks for pointing that out.

The link on this page is now fixed.

Holocat

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2003, 12:27:35 am »
Thank you, 3dot14, for fixing that link;  It's been broken for some time now.

As to firesoul, from what i've been given in modding 101, I think I have the missing tool I need to do this work.  Sort of.  I will begin trials in the next few days, but I should not expect anything significant in my work for some time.  I have yet a large number of hurdles and technical questions that I will need to answer for myself before I can be sure of what I can do with what I have.

In any event, the modding101 zip is very useful, both in its tidbits and the tools it ships with.  Again, my gratitudes 3dot14.

My compliments to Patrick O'Brian as well,

Holocat.

FireSoul

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2003, 03:28:56 am »
Let me know how hard it is. I might want to give it all another try later on.
.. at this time, I'm not prepared to start on another 'project'.

Holocat

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2003, 12:01:00 pm »
Alright;  I've wandered about modding 101 dot zip, and successfully exported my model.  I'm getting used to using UV projection and texturing by face to texture the craft, and for some slight misfortunes in how the UV texturing is turning out, my models are, so far, fine.  They import into assimview without a problem, besides looking horrid.

There is ONE major stumbling block that I have yet to overcome, however;  Although I can export a model, I cannot, apparently, IMPORT the model back into a mod file.

I can save my model to the following formats:

.cob
.asc
.3ds
.dxf
.x

Is there a converter out there somewhere that will allow me to convert from one of these formats to the .mod format?  I am unable to locate one;  If you know of one, please post here, pointing my muzzle in the right direction.

My gratitudes for your continuing support,

Holocat.

The_Pelican

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2003, 12:15:52 pm »
 Starfleet Universe Downloads

The files you need are likely to be on there somewhere.  

Holocat

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2003, 08:54:13 pm »
The possiblities at SFU are either under scrutiny or exausted;  I am unable to obtain, in a lawful manner, 3ds nor milkshape at this time.  

To repeat what I desire, I wish a file converter that would allow me to convert from one of the aformentioned formats either directly to .mod, or perhaps to .lwo, which has already several options to .mod conversion.

Destroyer refit delay woes,

Holocat.

Edit:  You know, the REAL perverse thing is, I can LOAD .lwo into my editor, I just can't save TO .lwo.  Highly irritating.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2003, 01:11:57 am by Holocat »

Reverend

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2003, 07:17:34 am »
Holocat- I have practically unlimited access to my friend's 3DS, as I have converted to SFC3 for my own use several SFC2 models so as to switch out/add to ship roster- if emailed to me, I could run them through that program- takes about 30 seconds each... or ICQ me, they have a dandy direct file transfer.