Topic: SFC2 - Orion moon - ??????  (Read 7473 times)

quircus

SFC2 - Orion moon - ??????
« on: February 15, 2003, 02:02:22 pm »
In the SFC2 mission "Orion Moon" (as the Romulans), i tractor the enemy ship INTO the planet, and fire at the planet straight aftwerwards (there is a 'small window of opporunity'), and I can get the planet's health down to zero - but it doesn't say 'mission complete'!! Why not? Has anyone else had this problem, and how do I complete the mission

P.S. I have version 2.0.3.6.

thanks for any replies.

Corbomite

Re: SFC2 - Orion moon - ??????
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2003, 02:36:22 pm »
In all planetary assault missions you must beam down marines to capture a planet.

The Postman

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2003, 03:21:23 pm »
 You need to destroy the frigate with weapons. You first need to wear down the ISC frigate with your weapons in capture mode. Then tractor it to a point near the planet. Once all your weapons are fully charged and switched over to destroy mode, hit the frigate with all your phasers and then put all your plasma into the planet. This will work provided that the frigate is destroyed in the phaser blast.      

quircus

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2003, 06:42:10 am »
1) You cannot beam marines down.

2) I have done that - the planet gets to ZERO HEALTH, and even if I hit it with 2x F-Plasma, a R-Plasma, and 4 1-Phasers, it still wont die!!!!!!  

The Postman

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2003, 08:36:25 am »
Are you dumping all of your plasma onto the planet the instant the frigate is destroyed? The window of opportunity to destroy the Orion base is very small. It must be done at the instant it launches a new frigate in responce to the one you just destroyed.  

quircus

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2003, 08:54:09 am »
The window of opportunity is so small, and plasma may travel too slow to hit it at the right time. BUT, phasers can - and that still doesnt work.  

The Postman

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2003, 09:00:32 am »
You are not mixing this up with "the Pyre"? The two missions are very similar and they occur back to back.  
Or did you start this campaign and THEN patch to 20.36? Campaigns need to be started fresh after you patch.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by The Postman »

Primus2003

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2003, 10:58:46 am »
I have played that mission as federation and had no problem.  Though the Postman brought up a good question.  I almost wondered if you were talking about the Pyre because I was having some trouble with it.  I beamed in the bomb and it would not work.  With your mission Orion Moon, the other Federaition weapons ie torpedoes and  missles hit much more quickly.  Postman may be right for when my pyre misssion was not working I was using 2033 then as an attempted  remedy upgraded to 20.36 and it still did not seem to work.  Granted I resaved and loaded a number of times to get around the Pyre for a while..  It may or may not have had an effect.  Anyway long story short when i reloaded and repatched up to the 2033 properly it worked just fine this morning.  I have been wondering if I had mispatched it when I lost my HD (When the IBM computer was  just a bit more then a year old !), for it was a rather hectic time.  When I had  the hd replaced I suspect that I may have mispatched it ie 2002-6 then a 2002-2013  instead of using the one single patch 2002-13.  last night when I patched I used a single 2002-2033. For when i started the most recent campaign I was up to 2033.   Seems to work fine though we all have to replace something in grave of thoughts as I recall  Anyway hope this helps perhaps you should close to within the minimum non feedback distance to fire ie 2.00 who knows maybe it will work maybe not.  I hope that you will achieve victory over it soon!

quircus

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2003, 11:18:27 am »
I am playing the missions as the romulans - i dont have plasma.

Also, is the bug with 'Battle at the Grave of Thoughts' the one where the freighter to collexct the people doesnt come?  

The Postman

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2003, 11:20:56 am »
What kind of Rom doesn't have plasma. Disrupters?
The question about the battle is correct but it can be fixed.  

quircus

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2003, 04:46:09 am »
Sorry, I meant ' I'm playing as Romulans - I dont have Photons'...  

Carrie

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2003, 02:32:49 am »
As a Fed, with photons, I've even tried slowing the damned game down to 1 to get the window, letting my modded fighters take out the orion ship, and firing INSTANTLY with the planet targetted beforehand, when it says 'new ship launched'. Under 2036. No dice. Any of you uber mission-scripter people want to give me a hint? Or a fixed version of the mission?

The Postman

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2003, 07:02:36 am »
Have you scanned the planet so that your science officer  tells you the Orion base is vulnerable when it launches a ship? I have played this battle many times as a Fed and never had a problem with winning. I  have the 20.36 for EAW as well as the OP version and they both work just fine for me.  

quircus

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2003, 07:53:30 am »
Yes, I scan the planet first and I have 2036.

Carrie

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2003, 09:49:02 am »
I've scanned it, then re-scanned it when I had to target something else. I'm wondering if that's the problem. If its not properly being registered as 'scanned' after targetting something else. It made the statement, but I re-targetted partway through scan, and went back. It still said 'hit while launching ship', though. Just hasn't responded to firing at that point.

The Postman

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2003, 10:01:34 am »
Did any of you patch this game part way into this campaign?

Carrie

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2003, 10:37:05 am »
Nope. I reinstalled it after reinstalling windows. It went through the 2002-2036 patch BEFORE I started playing it. And it still did that, and destroyed me for no apparent reason to end it. Joy. Now I'm stuck on Battle at the Grave of Thought, where it doesn't seem to want to send a transport when I tell the post to.

The Postman

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2003, 11:14:04 am »
To fix Battle at the Grave of Thoughts go here and install the .scr file as instructed. If that doesnt take care of it I'll tell you how to make one more change to fix it for good.  

Carrie

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2003, 02:39:08 pm »
Nifty, thanks

FireSoul

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2003, 02:41:04 pm »
I also fixed BatGot's code and compiled it for OP.

-- Luc

quircus

SFC2 - Orion moon - ??????
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2003, 02:02:22 pm »
In the SFC2 mission "Orion Moon" (as the Romulans), i tractor the enemy ship INTO the planet, and fire at the planet straight aftwerwards (there is a 'small window of opporunity'), and I can get the planet's health down to zero - but it doesn't say 'mission complete'!! Why not? Has anyone else had this problem, and how do I complete the mission

P.S. I have version 2.0.3.6.

thanks for any replies.

Corbomite

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2003, 02:36:22 pm »
In all planetary assault missions you must beam down marines to capture a planet.

The Postman

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2003, 03:21:23 pm »
 You need to destroy the frigate with weapons. You first need to wear down the ISC frigate with your weapons in capture mode. Then tractor it to a point near the planet. Once all your weapons are fully charged and switched over to destroy mode, hit the frigate with all your phasers and then put all your plasma into the planet. This will work provided that the frigate is destroyed in the phaser blast.      

quircus

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2003, 06:42:10 am »
1) You cannot beam marines down.

2) I have done that - the planet gets to ZERO HEALTH, and even if I hit it with 2x F-Plasma, a R-Plasma, and 4 1-Phasers, it still wont die!!!!!!  

The Postman

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2003, 08:36:25 am »
Are you dumping all of your plasma onto the planet the instant the frigate is destroyed? The window of opportunity to destroy the Orion base is very small. It must be done at the instant it launches a new frigate in responce to the one you just destroyed.  

quircus

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2003, 08:54:09 am »
The window of opportunity is so small, and plasma may travel too slow to hit it at the right time. BUT, phasers can - and that still doesnt work.  

The Postman

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2003, 09:00:32 am »
You are not mixing this up with "the Pyre"? The two missions are very similar and they occur back to back.  
Or did you start this campaign and THEN patch to 20.36? Campaigns need to be started fresh after you patch.

Primus2003

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2003, 10:58:46 am »
I have played that mission as federation and had no problem.  Though the Postman brought up a good question.  I almost wondered if you were talking about the Pyre because I was having some trouble with it.  I beamed in the bomb and it would not work.  With your mission Orion Moon, the other Federaition weapons ie torpedoes and  missles hit much more quickly.  Postman may be right for when my pyre misssion was not working I was using 2033 then as an attempted  remedy upgraded to 20.36 and it still did not seem to work.  Granted I resaved and loaded a number of times to get around the Pyre for a while..  It may or may not have had an effect.  Anyway long story short when i reloaded and repatched up to the 2033 properly it worked just fine this morning.  I have been wondering if I had mispatched it when I lost my HD (When the IBM computer was  just a bit more then a year old !), for it was a rather hectic time.  When I had  the hd replaced I suspect that I may have mispatched it ie 2002-6 then a 2002-2013  instead of using the one single patch 2002-13.  last night when I patched I used a single 2002-2033. For when i started the most recent campaign I was up to 2033.   Seems to work fine though we all have to replace something in grave of thoughts as I recall  Anyway hope this helps perhaps you should close to within the minimum non feedback distance to fire ie 2.00 who knows maybe it will work maybe not.  I hope that you will achieve victory over it soon!

quircus

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2003, 11:18:27 am »
I am playing the missions as the romulans - i dont have plasma.

Also, is the bug with 'Battle at the Grave of Thoughts' the one where the freighter to collexct the people doesnt come?  

The Postman

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2003, 11:20:56 am »
What kind of Rom doesn't have plasma. Disrupters?
The question about the battle is correct but it can be fixed.  

quircus

« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2003, 04:46:09 am »
Sorry, I meant ' I'm playing as Romulans - I dont have Photons'...  

Carrie

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2003, 02:32:49 am »
As a Fed, with photons, I've even tried slowing the damned game down to 1 to get the window, letting my modded fighters take out the orion ship, and firing INSTANTLY with the planet targetted beforehand, when it says 'new ship launched'. Under 2036. No dice. Any of you uber mission-scripter people want to give me a hint? Or a fixed version of the mission?

The Postman

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2003, 07:02:36 am »
Have you scanned the planet so that your science officer  tells you the Orion base is vulnerable when it launches a ship? I have played this battle many times as a Fed and never had a problem with winning. I  have the 20.36 for EAW as well as the OP version and they both work just fine for me.  

quircus

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2003, 07:53:30 am »
Yes, I scan the planet first and I have 2036.

Carrie

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2003, 09:49:02 am »
I've scanned it, then re-scanned it when I had to target something else. I'm wondering if that's the problem. If its not properly being registered as 'scanned' after targetting something else. It made the statement, but I re-targetted partway through scan, and went back. It still said 'hit while launching ship', though. Just hasn't responded to firing at that point.

The Postman

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2003, 10:01:34 am »
Did any of you patch this game part way into this campaign?

Carrie

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2003, 10:37:05 am »
Nope. I reinstalled it after reinstalling windows. It went through the 2002-2036 patch BEFORE I started playing it. And it still did that, and destroyed me for no apparent reason to end it. Joy. Now I'm stuck on Battle at the Grave of Thought, where it doesn't seem to want to send a transport when I tell the post to.

The Postman

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2003, 11:14:04 am »
To fix Battle at the Grave of Thoughts go here and install the .scr file as instructed. If that doesnt take care of it I'll tell you how to make one more change to fix it for good.  

Carrie

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2003, 02:39:08 pm »
Nifty, thanks

FireSoul

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2003, 02:41:04 pm »
I also fixed BatGot's code and compiled it for OP.

-- Luc