Topic: Using Artifex  (Read 2485 times)

nx_adam_1701

Using Artifex
« on: October 21, 2003, 03:10:57 am »
I'm trying to create my own map, but I have limited knowledge on how to do so...., First question is when making a new map for the game, do I need to make three different maps, early, middle, and late for the campaign, not only one rite, I have to make three??????.........

Next question is ohhhh I forgot to mention I making new maps because I want a TNG map, not the TMP one thats there ok back to the second question, As I was looking thru the artifex and playing around with it I noticed that when choosing your base you have to choose btwn Bs, SB, BT, LP, DEF, how about if I want a stabase but also maybe around 4 defense platforms around it, how do I implement that using artifex, I just dont want a SB only, or a LP, with one Defense platform, so those are the two questions, how many maps do i have to make for a campaign single player, and can you put a base with def around

adam out

NuclearWessels

Re: Using Artifex
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2003, 07:28:15 am »
In the campaign's .mct file you specify which map you want to use for whichever era you'll start in, and you specify which era you want to start in.  Based on those two factors it loads your created map at the start of the campaign and then maintains that internally forever after.  So if you want to you can create just a single map, and specify that that map is used no matter what era you start in.

When creating the map, the BS/SB/BATS/LP designation for a map hex just classifies the primary base type for the hex and generates a single AI base of that type in that hex at the start of the campaign -- any additional bases that appear in a mission have to be generated by the mission scripts themselves, it can't be done at the map layer.

dave

Tombstone

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2003, 01:23:41 pm »
Starbases should automatically include 4 def plats, so you don't need to worry about that.  If you want more than that, you'll have to create them yourself in the mission scripts.

nx_adam_1701

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2003, 03:13:37 pm »
Ok Im alittle confused, lol lol, explain it again, and its for SFC2 OP, if I didnt mention it

adam out

Tombstone

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2003, 03:26:13 pm »
I guess I should have asked what version you were talking about.  I know SFC3 creates 4 plats with the starbase, but I'm not sure about SFC2 as I've never done any modding with it.  Could someone answer this for SFC2?

nx_adam_1701

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2003, 06:48:28 pm »
I thought you were refering to SFC3, because I know that game has atleast 4 Def around a base, which makes sense, but I have no clue if I can add Def to any starbase while making the map, I noticed as I said earlier you have to choose from the base selection and its either a base or lp, def etc...., Im wondering if I can do that, I hope so, I would like too, Itll be too easy to take control of a planet without def around her, but If I can put atleast 3 or 4, then itll make the mission more difficult and challenging

adam out

NuclearWessels

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2003, 07:33:09 pm »
Nope, sorry.  In the OP missions there is only one base in the mission and you can't add more without actually altering the mission script

Some of the custom missions provide orbiting platforms etc, but again that's controlled by the script

dave

nx_adam_1701

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2003, 07:51:32 pm »
Now I get it, Str8 and forward, thanks dave

adam out