Topic: LoD question  (Read 1820 times)

James Formo

LoD question
« on: February 13, 2003, 03:07:02 am »
Is there a way for us amatuer modelers to put LOD's in are models like the Taldren ones?  I hate that the more detail a ship has  so it looks awesome up close- gets are sparlky when you zoom out. 80% of the game times is spent zoomed out.

Captain KoraH

Re: LoD question
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2003, 04:04:31 am »
What most people did in the hayday of SFC2 modeling (including me) was just to copy the same model 2 more times and give it the 2 other LOD names.  Alternatively, you can just take the mesh and copy it 2 more times, and then retexture the 2 other models seperately. Now, if the ships look bad because your video card can't render them, then this aint gonna help.

James Formo

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2003, 05:49:23 am »
Quote:

What most people did in the hayday of SFC2 modeling (including me) was just to copy the same model 2 more times and give it the 2 other LOD names.  Alternatively, you can just take the mesh and copy it 2 more times, and then retexture the 2 other models seperately. Now, if the ships look bad because your video card can't render them, then this aint gonna help.

Ok the 2 other models make sense. But I don't follow the naming scheme. I may not understand. Seeing as there is always just 1 mod file in each folder, where are the other 2 names assigned?

Captain KoraH

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2003, 12:29:56 pm »
Ok now that I know where you're coming from I can give you a more helpful explanation:

1. The Taldren MOD file can contain any number of individual 3D objects.

2. To make the LOD's follow this procedure:
   A. Finish the original model completely. Name it MODEL_1.
   B. Make an exact duplicate of the model.
   C. IMPORTANT: Leave the duplicate in EXACTLY the same space as the original.
   D. Now name the ship duplicate MODEL_2.
   E. Repeat B - D above again, but name the second exact duplicate MODEL_3.

3. Now, save the entire thing as one MOD file, calling it MODEL.MOD.  You may have to use several programs to accomplish this task.

Viola! You just made LOD in your new model!

James Formo

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2003, 03:48:40 pm »
Thanks for the info. I kinda doubt milkshape has this capability, but I will try it. I think that to milk shape,  the 3 models would just become 3 seperate groups.

Obviosly this would bump the poly count a bit.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by James Formo »

Captain KoraH

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2003, 05:56:30 pm »
Yeah, I'm looking up a random SFC:OP model as I type this.

...Hydran CA... probly a bad example because it's a simple shape. Anyway... You will have 3 models, and your poly count will jump, but the low res LoD versions don't need to be as detailed, so you can get away with welding some vertices together on them if you need to.