Topic: SETI Thread Part III  (Read 198353 times)

Offline The Postman

• 1st Sgt, Bugler, Commander, L. A. Tifft Camp 15, SUVCW
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
Re: SETI Thread Part III
« Reply #840 on: January 11, 2005, 08:55:33 pm »
Thank You and congratulations to you as well for your recent achievements. I think I have made the last goal for me before Seti Classic ends in a few weeks. I have now saved a copy of all of my certificates (in color) for my records. I will now slowly begin the task of trying to switch over my last  machines to BOINC as time allows.

Link: ht

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #841 on: January 11, 2005, 09:17:07 pm »
I think I have made the last goal for me before Seti Classic ends in a few weeks.

I have said that so many times due to the "imminent" demise of SETI 1 for the last 2 years.  I will worry about it when it happens.  I haven't yet decided about BOINC.  I'll have to look at what changes they have made.  I don't like the way they want to do automatic updates without explicit permission.  I don't let Micrsoft do them and sure as heck will not allow SETI to do so.

You know you can make the image larger as well as colour? 
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #842 on: January 12, 2005, 05:35:54 am »
do they get bigger than size "2"?

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
HT CPU under W2K?
« Reply #843 on: January 12, 2005, 10:42:50 am »
IKV Nemesis, Have you ever built or run an HT CPU under W2K. I have been told I need to go to XP to run HT. Anybody else feel free to jump in on this one.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Re: HT CPU under W2K?
« Reply #844 on: January 12, 2005, 08:17:56 pm »
IKV Nemesis, Have you ever built or run an HT CPU under W2K. I have been told I need to go to XP to run HT. Anybody else feel free to jump in on this one.

My current machines are Athlons, so no I haven't done hyperthreading. 

As I understand it though Windows 2000 Pro will detect a hyperthreading CPU as two processors and run on both. 
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #845 on: February 19, 2005, 04:27:55 pm »
Link to site

Einstein@home is a program that uses your computer's idle time to search for spinning neutron stars (also called pulsars) using data from the LIGO and GEO gravitational wave detectors. Einstein@home is a World Year of Physics 2005 project supported by the American Physical Society (APS) and by a number of international organizations.

After several months of testing, we are now 'throwing open the doors' for general participation. If you would like to take part, please use the Create account link to create an account, and follow the instructions. Einstein@home is available for Windows, Linux and MacOS X computers.

This first production run of Einstein@home carries out a search for pulsars over the entire sky, using the most sensitive 600 hours of data from LIGO's third science run, S3.

Bruce Allen, Professor of Physics, U. of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
Einstein@home Leader for the LIGO Scientific Collaboration

Feb 19, 2005
Einstein@Home was officially launched this morning at the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) meeting in Washington, DC, USA.

Link to rules and policy

Uses BOINC

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #846 on: March 05, 2005, 06:36:06 am »
March 5, 2005 - 01:00 UTC
The project is down for the weekend. Although we made some diagnostic progress, the servers are still not able to talk to the UPS's. The power in the building is still not trustworthy. There will probably be a power outage next week so that campus can track this down

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #847 on: March 06, 2005, 02:31:32 pm »
My cache was full so I am still processing away at full speed.  I'll have over 100WUs to upload on monday after work.  I hope everyone else (on both projects) has a full cache to work from as well.  If SETI and BOINC are not back up full time it might take me a couple of days to finish uploading them all (dialup and only after work fo uploads).

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #848 on: March 06, 2005, 07:33:41 pm »
I too only have dialup. I have found it very difficult to get anything up or down for BOINC. I did manage to get 2 or 3 days worth for BOINC on most machines with full classic caches when BOINC runs out. I did manage to get driver installed on all but one machine before the weekend started. I expect my evenings will be busy trying to get the machines to transmit in the 2 hours after I get out of work.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #849 on: March 06, 2005, 08:11:11 pm »
I too only have dialup. I have found it very difficult to get anything up or down for BOINC. I did manage to get 2 or 3 days worth for BOINC on most machines with full classic caches when BOINC runs out. I did manage to get driver installed on all but one machine before the weekend started. I expect my evenings will be busy trying to get the machines to transmit in the 2 hours after I get out of work.

I might have 3 hours to transfer.  The time depends on workload (we've been running overtime lately) and how direct I choose to come home, usually I take my time and a long walk if the weather permits.

Current estimate ~120 WUs to upload.  I may need a couple of days to catch up in the limited time available for transfer each day.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #850 on: March 08, 2005, 04:29:05 am »
I finally take my place in the top 5000.

Name IKV Nemesis
Results Received    30747

Your rank: (based on current workunits received)
Your rank out of 5369885 total users is:    4989th place.
You have completed more work units than    99.907% of our users.

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #851 on: March 08, 2005, 09:45:32 am »
Congratulations :) :woot:

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #852 on: March 08, 2005, 07:25:42 pm »
Congratulations :) :woot:

Naturally they did a renumbering.

Your rank out of 5370823 total users is:    5034th place

So I get to do it all over again.  But I will get there again and stay in the top 5000. 

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #853 on: March 13, 2005, 12:30:55 pm »
Back into the top 5000.

Name IKV Nemesis
Results Received  30980
Your rank out of 5375715 total users is: 4999th place.
You have completed more work units than 99.907% of our users.

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #854 on: March 15, 2005, 06:15:49 pm »
March 15, 2005
SETI-BOINC db is down to create some new indices on user and team tables so that more current seti-classic information can be inserted into the boinc table for user and teams. This includes all new users since the last migration from last year and more current scores for users who have not moved to boinc. Service should be restored in about 90 minutes.

Everything I am reading would suggest this is the first step to end classic. They are looking to move the classic resources to Boinc to handle the load.

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #855 on: March 15, 2005, 06:52:15 pm »
March 9, 2005
Star Trek is going off the air! Read here how Star Trek Helped Launch SETI@home.

http://planetary.org/star_trek/enterprise_022405.html

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #856 on: March 19, 2005, 12:34:12 pm »
Everything I am reading would suggest this is the first step to end classic. They are looking to move the classic resources to Boinc to handle the load.

A recent Admin post in the official SETI Classic forum indicates that Classic has at least a month, possibly much longer.

The servers don't appear to be functional this weekend again.  They also will apparently be down on Tuesday when the attempt is made to diagnose the power problems for the building.

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #857 on: March 19, 2005, 06:33:02 pm »
http://fragment1.berkeley.edu/~cricket/inr-668-interfaces.html

March 19, 2005
Our Internet link through Cogent went down at around midnight UTC. It is being looked at with an unknown time to fix.

This affects Classic and Boinc.

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #858 on: March 21, 2005, 09:22:42 pm »
At least for now, a connection is up for both projects

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #859 on: March 21, 2005, 10:26:37 pm »
At least for now, a connection is up for both projects

Thanks, last time I checked it was down.  With 157 WUs to upload on dialup I think that I will just leave it sending when I go to bed, which is right now. 

Night all.