Topic: SETI Thread Part III  (Read 198293 times)

IKV Nemesis D7L

Re: SETI Thread Part III
« Reply #680 on: March 21, 2004, 07:40:56 am »
Quote:

Ok... let me see if I get this.....

A university receives "signals".
They are put into "units".
People with computers download software to "crunch" these "units" made of "signals".
You receive a "scoring" by how long, or how many, of these "units" you "crunch" to discover where these "signals" are coming from.
There is no pay in the use of your personal computer even though you are providing the resourses in which to "crunch" the "units" made of "signals".

Is this correct?  

Essentially correct.  One thing to add however is if you are the lucky one to do the processing that finds ET you will be publicly credited with it.  Your 15 minutes of fame.  

My Data:

Your credit:
Name (and URL)    IKV Nemesis
Results Received    16613
Total CPU Time    7.107 years
Average CPU Time per work unit    3 hr 44 min 51.0 sec
Average results received per day    20.99
Last result returned:   Sun Mar 21 13:30:59 2004 UTC
Registered on:   Sun Jan 20 04:23:27 2002 UTC

SETI@home user for:   2.168 years
Your group info:
You belong to the group named:    Taldren
You are not currently the founder of any teams.

Your rank: (based on current workunits received)
Your rank out of 4927160 total users is:    8125th place.
The number of users who have this rank:    2
You have completed more work units than    99.835% of our users.

There are other projects that use the SETI concept to do other research.  Cancer and Anthrax research for example.   SETI was merely first and biggest.    

Toasty0

« Reply #681 on: March 21, 2004, 09:45:45 am »
Quote:

Ok... let me see if I get this.....

A university receives "signals".
They are put into "units".
People with computers download software to "crunch" these "units" made of "signals".
You receive a "scoring" by how long, or how many, of these "units" you "crunch" to discover where these "signals" are coming from.
There is no pay in the use of your personal computer even though you are providing the resourses in which to "crunch" the "units" made of "signals".

Is this correct?  

Now only that, but in your case you might actually find Star Man.    

KRolling

« Reply #682 on: March 21, 2004, 12:30:24 pm »
But, of course, no one ever finds an ET.

Sooooooooooooo, why do you do this?

jualdeaux

« Reply #683 on: March 21, 2004, 01:16:03 pm »
I think that some people do it in the hope that someone will ultimately find a signal. Others might just do it o be a part of a group of like minded people. There are also some who just like the challenge of trying to work their way up through the ranks and try to get to the top of th list. Iin this group alone there were a number of people had an informal, or formal, race to see who could produce the most. That lead to quite a few races that ultimately increased the performance of the group and also lead to people learning more about the computers they used and how to get the most out of them. I distinctly remember people building totally new computers just sothey would have much better processing times.   Anyway, there are many reasons people joined the group.

The Postman

« Reply #684 on: March 21, 2004, 01:49:40 pm »

As you can see the Arecibo Radio Telescope only covers a fraction of the sky. Every red dot is a potential signal, however unlikely, where ET might be found. ET might be found in another part of the sky or ET's signal might not reach Earth for another thousand years. Who really knows? We certainly won't find him if we don't look.  

KRolling

« Reply #685 on: March 21, 2004, 03:16:12 pm »
Ok, I understand now.

<backs out of room.... turns and runs>

IKV Nemesis D7L

« Reply #686 on: March 21, 2004, 10:04:58 pm »
Quote:

But, of course, no one ever finds an ET.

Sooooooooooooo, why do you do this?  

No one has to date.  

Of course there was a time when people were told the same about hunting for the mythical city of Troy.  Then one day some one found it, it was not a myth afterall.  

Perhaps today will be the day SETI finds a signal.  But not if no one is looking.   I will keep looking for my mythical signal.  

IKV Nemesis D7L

« Reply #687 on: March 21, 2004, 11:20:55 pm »
Quote:

Microsoft man funds ET search

March 21, 2004 - 1:52AM

Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen, one of the richest men on Earth, today pledged to donate $US13.5 million ($17.99 million) for research into extra-terrestrial life.

With the contribution, Allen will have given $US25 million ($33.32 million) for construction of the Allen Telescope Array (ATA), a network of 350 radio telescopes being built to find signs of life in space, said Thomas Pierson, director of the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI) Institute.

The radio telescopes will measure the density of the early universe, the formation of stars and magnetic fields.

They will also be capable of searching for "possible signals from technologically advanced civilisations elsewhere in the galaxy," according to a SETI statement.

The announcement of Allen's donation coincided with the completion of the project's research and development phases, which Allen funded with an $US11.5 million ($15.33 million) donation.

The $US13.5 million donation will pay for the first two phases of construction of the ATA, according to the statement.

One network of 32 telescopes will be available for research by the end of 2004 and the entire network of 350 telescopes will be completed "late in the decade," it said.

SETI and the Radio Astronomy Laboratory of the University of California at Berkley teamed up for the ATA project.

"I am very excited to be supporting one of the world's most visionary efforts to seek basic answers to some of the fundamental question about our universe and what other civilisations may exist elsewhere," Allen said in a ceremony in Mountain View, California, where SETI is based.

Toasty0

« Reply #688 on: March 21, 2004, 11:24:35 pm »
oh, those evil MS bast'ds...how dare they promote progressive research. *gasp*

hehehehe...meanwhile in other news, Linux claims to have found another Kernal Sanders...  

ActiveX

« Reply #689 on: March 22, 2004, 11:33:52 am »
I'm looking now hehe...

I only got 4 WUs done sofar, but it took less than 18 hours for them...

To catch up to Raven though I'll need to build more than an FX-53 hehe...

nexa1

« Reply #690 on: March 22, 2004, 02:05:44 pm »
Kick Butt Active!!!!

I know what you are saying about Raven. lol. I doubt even the collective work of my bases antiquainted computers can catch that guy.

Me... Right now I am just focused on beating Rick Knox(pneumonic81), Hawkeye and myself. Seems to be a bit more feasable.  

IKV Nemesis D7L

« Reply #691 on: March 22, 2004, 06:37:47 pm »
Quote:

oh, those evil MS bast'ds...how dare they promote progressive research. *gasp*

hehehehe...meanwhile in other news, Linux claims to have found another Kernal Sanders...  

Actually as I understand it Paul Allen left the company a long time ago.  Before they were known as evil bostiches.   Paul Allen is also the guy funding Spaceship One.   He seems to be more of a visionary and less a power seeker then his ex-partner Gates.  Unlike Gates he makes little or no effort to publicize his philanthropy.   He quietly does what he does without seeking public recognition.    

Stormbringer

« Reply #692 on: March 22, 2004, 06:46:34 pm »
Spaceship one set to make second powered flight. Story is at space.com.

nexa1

« Reply #693 on: March 23, 2004, 04:14:53 am »
   What happened in the first powered flight? I thought that they lost it the first time.

Oh!!!
 I know I have been gone for almost 2 years, but what is the deal with the Taldrenite Haven? I recogonize some of the names from when Erik and the community first started the Taldren team, and what I think became the biggest or second biggest thread. I remember that monster Star Wars vs Star Trek thread might have been the biggest, oh and that plasma thread.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2004, 04:18:11 am by nexa1 »

The Postman

« Reply #694 on: March 23, 2004, 06:01:40 am »
I see we picked up a couple of new names. Anybody spot who or where they are?  

The Postman

« Reply #695 on: March 23, 2004, 08:10:58 am »
Does anybody have an extra P4 400mhz lying around surplus to their needs? I am currently running a 1.5  and thought it might be a good time to upgrade.  

ActiveX

« Reply #696 on: March 23, 2004, 08:52:00 am »
I'm at 138th place right now...

136th now
« Last Edit: March 23, 2004, 12:40:21 pm by ActiveX »

Stormbringer

« Reply #697 on: March 23, 2004, 11:40:23 am »
Dunno. I'm just Gate crashing at the moment. I will probably pick it up in a couple of months.

Stormbringer

« Reply #698 on: March 23, 2004, 11:41:43 am »
It crashed IIRC but they repaired the damage and fixed the issues that caused it.  As to the havens I think they moved thier groups comms to another forum at the TCS. I think they are still active. Some of thier members had a disagreement with enforcement of taldren forum rules and left. The rest followed the core over there but most are still active here just not regarding the havens.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2004, 11:46:16 am by Stormbringer »

nexa1

« Reply #699 on: March 23, 2004, 02:59:10 pm »
 Hey there...

Well, I am new sort of. *snicker*
 Ok, not really. I have just been gone for a while (year and a half). I have that military thing going on.
 Currently my old SETI acct is #61 but my current one is #125 and creeping up.  I should be able to overtake Rick Knox at #121 in about 6 hours and then it is on to Hawkeye.  
 What ever happened to him or Xak Tsaroth?