Topic: SETI Thread Part III  (Read 198265 times)

nexa1

Re: page loading problem
« Reply #500 on: May 07, 2004, 02:17:06 pm »

Yeah for some reason for me it takes 3-4 times trying to load to actually get it. Don't know why tho.

AJTK

« Reply #501 on: May 10, 2004, 06:41:13 pm »
Although I will never get anywhere close to you boys with hardware like Dragon and Nemesis, I have added a P4-2.8 laptop to my inventory and it cranks out one wu about every 4-6 hours, not sure why there is such a large variation. Anyhow, I have FINALLY gotten myself away from the dirt eater on the list and am making progress at moving ahead of some of the mid level peeps who no longer are putting out new units.

Hoping to build a new P4-3.06/800mhz desktop in the near future, so that will also help my unit speed greatly if I can scrape the cash together. Wow, Taldren in the top 100 in the WORLD?!

Are we Trek geeks commited, or what? ROFL!

Oh yeah, Im still alive it would appear. Divorces suck.

Have a nice day!

IKV Nemesis D7L

« Reply #502 on: May 10, 2004, 06:55:42 pm »
Quote:

Although I will never get anywhere close to you boys with hardware like Dragon and Nemesis, I have added a P4-2.8 laptop to my inventory and it cranks out one wu about every 4-6 hours, not sure why there is such a large variation. Anyhow, I have FINALLY gotten myself away from the dirt eater on the list and am making progress at moving ahead of some of the mid level peeps who no longer are putting out new units.

Hoping to build a new P4-3.06/800mhz desktop in the near future, so that will also help my unit speed greatly if I can scrape the cash together. Wow, Taldren in the top 100 in the WORLD?!

Are we Trek geeks commited, or what? ROFL!

Oh yeah, Im still alive it would appear. Divorces suck.

Have a nice day!  

Are the P4s hyperthreading enabled?  (and is you OS as well?)  If so using the CLI you can run two copies at once and increase your total output (how much I can't say, but some people claim very substantial boosts).  In any case using the CLI compared to the screen saver is a minimum 10% boost, but you've probably heard that berfore (and are possibly using the CLI ).

I never anticipated getting in the top 10 when I joined.  Being in the upper half of Taldren was all I expected.  Doing 10,000 WUs seemed like a fantasy not reality.  But things happen and next thing  you know you are a contender.  All I can say is that  The Great Moo Hunt!  got out of control.  

AJTK

« Reply #503 on: May 10, 2004, 11:03:28 pm »
using the CLI (at your instruction, lol) on the ol p3-750, using screen saver only on laptop at the moment. i need to dload the CLI and set it up again. I THINK this laptop is HT, but I am not positive. If I had to guess, I think it is, but Id have to look in the documentation to be sure. a 2.8, i think it has to be, doesnt it? 2.8 was next to last 533mhz, then the 3.0 went from 533 to 800 and they made others that were 800 that were slower. I am sure this is a 533 board tho. hmmm,  tried to find info on the motherboard/chipset in system, to no avail. OFW, its a 2.8, thats good enough for now, rofl. the cli runs faster on my 750, so it sure as hell will run faster on this thing, lol. Id appreciate if you would post the instrucitons on how to set up the cli again, and i will install it monyana.

Have a nice day!

IKV Nemesis D7L

« Reply #504 on: May 11, 2004, 06:44:05 pm »
Quote:

Id appreciate if you would post the instrucitons on how to set up the cli again, and i will install it monyana.

Have a nice day!

There is a stickied thread with the instructions.  But here is a link to make it easier.  There is also a link in my signature.

Keep pumping them out.  

digi

« Reply #505 on: May 12, 2004, 03:21:14 am »
Quote:

Is anybody else having problems loading the team page or your individual page?  I am getting 500 errors on both and I have no idea if all of my machines are running.  

Same here.....The one I use which seems to keep completly uptodate with any new units posted is dead.  Anyone got an uptodate link that works?

IKV Nemesis D7L

« Reply #506 on: May 12, 2004, 03:42:16 am »
The links do seem to be having trouble.

They seem to have partially revised the links without posting much info about it.  This link is working better for me.  It is far from perfect but is better.  It also seems to be dependent somewhat on the time of day. Team page

Code:
http://setiathome2.ssl.berkeley.edu

Note the addition of the 2 compared to older links that you may be using.    

digi

« Reply #507 on: May 12, 2004, 04:08:17 am »
It doesn't appear to be working for me right now, but I'll keep giving it a try.  Thanks Nem.

The Postman

« Reply #508 on: May 12, 2004, 05:10:28 am »
No that link does not work. I also can't check my stats on the individual page either. The only page that I can get is the once a day team page.  

GE-Raven

« Reply #509 on: May 12, 2004, 04:24:36 pm »
You should soon notice an upswing in production.  I expect to be at about double in a day or so.  I hope to eclipse 1K WU per day at some point this summer.

GE-Raven

The Postman

« Reply #510 on: May 12, 2004, 04:59:53 pm »
Quote:

You should soon notice an upswing in production.  I expect to be at about double in a day or so.  I hope to eclipse 1K WU per day at some point this summer.

GE-Raven

There goes my chance for catching you  

ActiveX

« Reply #511 on: May 13, 2004, 08:02:08 am »
My WUs have dropped a lot since I've been playing Eve...

But I hope to add an 8 Opteron (dual core) powerhouse to my arsenal...

The Postman

Re: page loading problem:OUTAGE NOTICE:
« Reply #512 on: May 13, 2004, 01:47:58 pm »

Quote:

May 12, 2004
OUTAGE NOTICE: On Monday, May 17th we are going to have a two-hour web site outage starting at 17:00 UTC. Client downloads, statistical pages, etc. will be off-line during this time.

IKV Nemesis D7L

Back patting and Kickme signs :)
« Reply #513 on: May 16, 2004, 06:17:41 pm »
Go to the following link scroll down to #48 in the USA and you will see our very own:

48) Raven     275878     163.049 years    5 hr 10 min 38.3 sec    Sun May 16 00:49:35 2004    United States

Way down at #639 but still among the top 1000 in the U.S.:

639) ICE Gambler     52150     44.339 years    7 hr 26 min 52.4 sec    Sat May 15 08:42:16 2004    United States

If you go to this link instead you will see him at #113 in the WORLD:

113) Raven     275480     162.829 years    5 hr 10 min 40.0 sec    Fri May 14 16:44:36 2004    United States

Much lower down but still in the top 200 is Putanginamao (aka Cyberkada/Carlosbott)

196) Putanginamo    201013     98.422 years    4 hr 17 min 20.9 sec    Wed Dec 10 13:05:14 2003    Philippines

When I noticed these I could not resist giving you guys a little pat on the back (please ignore the kickme signs left behind ).  Way to go guys. You are the big boys that drag the team up into being among the best in the world.     None of the rest of us make the top 1000 in the world.  No one else makes the top 1000 in the U.S. (or would if they were American.)  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by IKV Nemesis D7L »

DreadlordGW

Re: Back patting and Kickme signs :)
« Reply #514 on: May 17, 2004, 12:07:49 am »
If i still had use to our computer farms i'd be right up around Gambler - but cant run it as Seti slowed critical app down.

Re: WUs acquired from Cyberkada/Carlosbott.
« Reply #515 on: May 22, 2004, 03:56:16 am »
Quote:

Quote:

What is the Seti Thread about anyway ?I don't want to read through the hole now please tell me.It definetly does not deal with Search for Exterestrial Intelligience no way.I know you are in a lot Sirgod or Ann plase tell me.I don't trust anybody else to be taken seriously so plase tell me.
  Thanks  

Link to team stats

Link to SETI @ Home home page  

Click the links for the information.  Then you don't have to believe anyone.  

I guess I was wrong and sorry to everyone in the Seti team and for clearing this up for me Nemesis.It really is the search for ET.I have been more into Astonomy and looking at the stars.What is required to do a seti search?I thought it had something to do with the game.  
« Last Edit: May 22, 2004, 03:59:23 am by Age »

IKV Nemesis D7L

Re: WUs acquired from Cyberkada/Carlosbott.
« Reply #516 on: May 22, 2004, 09:09:17 am »
Quote:

I guess I was wrong and sorry to everyone in the Seti team and for clearing this up for me Nemesis.It really is the search for ET.I have been more into Astonomy and looking at the stars.What is required to do a seti search?I thought it had something to do with the game.  

Go to this thread it walks you through setting up the Seti command line client with the SETIDriver program to control uploads and downloads.  

IKV Nemesis D7L

Re: Back patting and Kickme signs :)
« Reply #517 on: May 22, 2004, 09:34:04 am »
Quote:

If i still had use to our computer farms i'd be right up around Gambler - but cant run it as Seti slowed critical app down.  

In our team's history you have a unique place.  

The statistics that you kept for so long encouraged people to work hard to keep up their averages.  Others made efforts to output more just to qualify for your stats list.  Your stats listing can probably be credited with causing 10's of thousands of WUS to be output for the team.  

Likely the output the you "provoked" with your statistics is greater than your own personal stats.   Your contribution is far greater than the measured stats.    
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by IKV Nemesis D7L »

IKV Nemesis D7L

A link from the birth of SETI @ Home
« Reply #518 on: May 22, 2004, 10:34:21 am »
Link to story

Limited and edited quote below.
Quote:

The average Intel box takes an average of 35 hours to analyse each chunk of data, ...

the PowerPC which handles the Dalek data in a mere 23 hours, ...

SunSPARC which analyses the alien artefacts in just 16 Earth hours. ...

Alphas (from the dead planet Digitalia) take a mere ten galactic time units...

PA Risc systems have been sent more than 3000 batches of data, none of which have returned. ...

RS/6000s (lots of them in use in semi-detached houses in the Neasden area, no doubt) have been sent 4000 bundles of alien transmissions, but none have come back. ...

MIPS processors have gobbled up over 10,000 sets of data to no discernable effect...

680x0-based system has also failed to calculate anything....

an 'unknown' CPU which has received one load of data to which there has been no reply.

IKV Nemesis D7L

SETI @ Home passes 5 million members.
« Reply #519 on: May 24, 2004, 11:08:16 pm »
Your rank out of 5006181 total users is:    7192nd place

and almost 5 million are behind me.